alicewa

Do All Celiacs Have A Leaky Gut?

Rate this topic

Do all celiacs have a Leaky Gut? Even when on the gluten free diet? I've heard they normally do (and almost always will continue to do so) as damage can occur even when gluten free.

Mine was a mild-to-moderate case. I'm really worried. This can be the cause of diabetes and other autoimmune diseases!!!

Please help if you can. I'm worried :(

Do all celiacs have a Leaky Gut? Even when on the gluten free diet? I've heard they normally do (and almost always will continue to do so) as damage can occur even when gluten free.

Mine was a mild-to-moderate case. I'm really worried. This can be the cause of diabetes and other autoimmune diseases!!!

Please help if you can. I'm worried :(

I have Leaky Gut, but not diagnosed celiac although I suspect I am. As far as the Leaky Gut goes I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about it. My Dr. (naturopath) has been working with me trying to heal my gut by using various herbs and staying gluten free. I will get tested again 9months after the first test to check my progress. My biggest issue with the Leaky Gut right now is malabsorption, not getting enough nutrients from my food.

Good luck to you!

Okay, this is a complicated issue, and I can only speak to what I learned at a celiac conference. The physiology was a little over my head, but the basic concept was this: There are junctures that line our intestines. When you don't have celiac, they open very briefly to allow nutrients and small molecules to pass through the intestinal lining. With celiac, for some reason the junctures remain open for extended periods of time when gluten is ingested. This causes large molecules, like gluten, to pass unrestricted through the intestinal lining, causing Leaky Gut and triggering autoimmune diseases. One of the potential treatments for celiac deals with stopping the action of the junctures remaining open--rather, the medication will cause them to close quickly the way they're supposed to. If I understand this concept correctly, as long as we maintain a strictly gluten-free diet, the Leaky Gut issue should resolve. I invite others to provide their comments on this topic, since I'm not an expert.

My leaky gut has responded well to rotation diet (in addition to being gluten and soy free)