BabsV

General Mills Gluten Free Labelling

Rate this topic

So, was speaking with someone from General Mills this week and she told me that current company policy in terms of food labeling is as follows:

If the ingredients are gluten free and they can confirm the "processing" (her word) did not include gluten ingredients (she meant cross contamination but didn't have the phrase until I mentioned it) they will now clearly label the box or can "Gluten Free."

If the ingredients are gluten free but they can't confirm lack of cross contamination there will be no label.

I randomly checked a couple items in my kitchen (stuff I don't eat!) and indeed my daughter's fruit roll-ups are clearly labeled "Gluten Free." Wow.

I didn't know this...but I'm only 3 months post Celiac diagnosis...

More companies seem to be jumping on the bandwagon with gluten-free, thank goodness.

Chex has five cereals that are gluten-free, and my daughter loves all of them.

Also Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles are gluten-free, along with the related marshmallow snacks.

The supermarket is going to look a lot different in another year, I think.

General Mills will not hide gluten ingredients. If an ingredient derived from a gluten grain is present, the grain will be clearly disclosed in the ingredient list. That does not address cc issues, but many of us find that informative when choosing products.