Austin Guy

Sensitive To Everything And Will Be Traveling - Need Advice

Rate this topic

I am still relatively new to the gluten free lifestyle and am finding many other food intolerances. I am going to take a ski vacation in February and am trying to figure out what I can eat. Here is what I know I can't have:

gluten

soy

corn

rice

lactose

tree nuts (nasty allergy)

salmon (another nasty allergy)

eggs

nightshades

I'm still wondering about peanuts and other legumes, but have not tested them yet.

Any thoughts on what I should eat while gone? I am also concerned about using the same kitchen as 15 other people.

The first thing that popped into my mind was Rutabega soup. Sounds like you're sharing a house?

My neighbor turned me on to this shortly after I was sensitive to everything. You chop up an onion (shared stainless steel pans should be okay, you just might want to wash them yourself before using.) Saute the onion in olive or other safe oil. Peel and chop 1-2 rutabega into 3/4" pieces. Toss in the pot. Add about 4-6 cups water. Add a couple of thick sliced carrots if you wish. Then add some chopped safe ham. (I like Jones brand.) After bringing to a boil, cook over ML heat until the rutabega is done, about 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with s&p. Love this soup.

I was thinking of something you could safely heat up in the microwave. Sometimes I have it for breakfast. This makes a big pot of soup.

Microwaved sweet potatoes or white potatoes. Hormel corned beef hash is gluten-free SF and pretty tasty if you cook it crispy. I don't think there's any nightshades in it.

Get those little individual servings of fruit and/or applesauce.

You're going to need protein if you're skiing, so get pork chops and steaks. I hope everyone will be respectful of your diet, and not use or eat your food. I've only done group outings with family and they treat my food like it's the holy grail. (Because they knew how sick I'd been.)

I'd probably pack a Sharpee in a wierd color to mark all my foods and let everyone know what that meant.

Hope you have a great trip, good for you for going! Have fun.

I am still relatively new to the gluten free lifestyle and am finding many other food intolerances. I am going to take a ski vacation in February and am trying to figure out what I can eat. Here is what I know I can't have:

gluten

soy

corn

rice

lactose

tree nuts (nasty allergy)

salmon (another nasty allergy)

eggs

nightshades

I'm still wondering about peanuts and other legumes, but have not tested them yet.

Any thoughts on what I should eat while gone? I am also concerned about using the same kitchen as 15 other people.

Austin Guy-

I just returned from two weeks in Germany where I ate beautiful, crusty wheat rolls every morning for breakfast without a single symptom. In the states, even one such roll would have me in bed for 3 days with severe cramping. I have been checking with other foreign travelers who are not showing allergies when visiting countries that forbid the imports of US products with GMO's. The US doctors keep telling us that this is a genetic problem....But I am starting to think that there may be nothing wrong with my GENES---but something terribly wrong with the use of herbicides and pesticides.

Incidently--both corn and soy are products exposed to GMO's....So my advice for your travel is that you may find that LOCAL products might actually work for you. It would be an experiment. I knew I was taking a risk in Germany---but it has proved insightful. If this truly is a GLUTEN allergy---then I should have had reaction in Germany. I am positing that it is NOT the GLUTEN that is is culprit. It's time to ask our federal agencies to look into

what is happening with our food. Too many of us are reacting...

Good luck with your trip....dpost.