Gr8soul

Wal-Mart Great Value Pizza Sauce

Rate this topic

I have used Wal-Mart Great Value Pizza Sauce in the recent past and did not have any problems. It stated right on the label that this product was gluten-free. I went to the store yesterday and they were out of the GV pizza sauce, so I had my mom pick me up some today when she was out (they restocked the shelves) and she brought it over to my house. Upon inspection of the label (I always check, every time) it no longer states gluten free on the label. I looked at their website and it states naturally gluten free in the product description, but that is of little help as if they changed their formula from the "old" label, maybe they haven't updated their website yet. I tried to call and of course they are closed on the weekend... so if anyone has already checked up on this label change please let me know. I wanted to make this for dinner tonight. Or even if you're not sure about the GV brand and know of a widely carried brand (with a smooth, no chuck pizza sauce that I could find at my local grocery store, we have Copps and Pick n' Saves here, that would also be helpful). Thanks in advance.

The rumor is that Walmart stopped putting gluten-free on products because they do not test them. When they put gluten-free on them before, it was jreally naturally gluten-free or no gluten ingredients. If the ingredients are Ok, I would use it. I haven't seen any marinaras or pizza sauces that had gluten. I haven't looked at many.

I just bought a jar of Wal-mart pizza sauce yesterday, because it said "Naturally Gluten Free" on the front, and didn't see the allergy warning on the back till I got home. Grr. I really appreciate the cross-contamination warning, but WHY must they advertise anything like "gluten free" on the front, then? Does this mean that the Classico with "gluten free" on the back could be cross-contaminated too? And why won't the FDA get off their butts and pass some real labeling guidelines that we can use? I guess this mixed-message marketing has been going on for awhile, but I didn't see it until yesterday. Very frustrating.

I just bought a jar of Wal-mart pizza sauce yesterday, because it said "Naturally Gluten Free" on the front, and didn't see the allergy warning on the back till I got home. Grr. I really appreciate the cross-contamination warning, but WHY must they advertise anything like "gluten free" on the front, then? Does this mean that the Classico with "gluten free" on the back could be cross-contaminated too? And why won't the FDA get off their butts and pass some real labeling guidelines that we can use? I guess this mixed-message marketing has been going on for awhile, but I didn't see it until yesterday. Very frustrating.

I think most anything processed that we buy could be subject to cross-contamination. If you are not comfortable buying prepared pizza sauce, you could always make your own. I understand my son-in-law makes a killer pasta sauce...his own secret recipe, I think. ;)

Classico red and white sauces are gluten free. http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx

Supposedly the FDA is coming out in 2012 with guidelines as to what constitutes gluten-free. It's long overdue.

I contacted Wal-Mart Great Value brand customer service today and they said they just started with a new distributor for their pizza sauce and that is why their labeling has changed. She said there is no wheat in the product (had that info), however other gluten information in their system had not been updated yet. She took my number and forwarded my inquiry to another department so they can get the correct information and they will be calling me in a few days with the results. I will certainly post what they tell me once I hear back. So far very impressed with the customer service I received and also that the person I talked to at customer service was informed enough to know that just because a product doesn't contain wheat doesn't mean it doesn't contain gluten:-)

Sorry it took me a while to update, but I did hear back from Wal-Mart/Great Value brands customer service. They did check with their new distributor and the Great Value brand pizza sauce is still gluten free. I used it to finally make my English Muffin pizzas and had no reactions (I am very sensitive to gluten) so I just wanted to update all as promised! Thanks for all of your feedback.

• Upvote 1