melrose

Intense Itching - From Beauty/hygiene Products?

Rate this topic

Hello all. I've experienced random hive breakouts (sometimes it is just unbearable itching with no rash) since I was a child, and was hoping that once I went gluten free it would begin to resolve. It seems to have reduced in frequency, but this afternoon following a shower, I had a crazy attack. 2 hours and 2 Benadryl later and I was still ready to jump out of my skin. I decided to start reading the labels of everything I used in the shower/post-shower (which is already organic and chemical free), and EVERYTHING had gluten (either wheat protein or barley) in it. I re-showered and washed with just my baby mild Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, and used olive oil on my skin after. Still itching.

I saw a couple of similar threads on this topic, but the other factor is that I was glutened at a restaurant on Saturday night (nice big mouthful of cookie crumbles in my dessert after repeatedly specifying my allergies...awesome), and I'm trying to determine whether I could breakout like this from ingestion, several days later. I'm just so frustrated trying to learn everything to avoid. :(

It could the gluten + hot shower + bathroom products so I'd keep them out for a few days to see how things go the next few days. You might want to cut down on iodine (egg yolk, seafood, seasalt, anything salty like chips etc) to see if that helps too. It could be something else though?

Let us know how it develops or otherwise.

Rash with intense itching was what lead to my diagnosis. If I ingest any gluten I can feel it in my skin before I notice it anywhere else. For me my rash is red, like a sunburn because it is warm to the touch and I run a low grade fever. I was taking benedryl, clairitin, zyrtec and tagament all which gave me no relief (my assumption is because it is not an allergy). It took me 8 weeks of being gluten free before my skin was totally clear. I did have to change all my skin products as well, because like yours mine contained gluten.

This week I actually had a dr tell me that Celiac wasn't causing my rash and that wasn't a symptom, even though I KNOW what happens when I eat it, I was so tempted to just go eat something with gluten.

This week I actually had a dr tell me that Celiac wasn't causing my rash and that wasn't a symptom, even though I KNOW what happens when I eat it, I was so tempted to just go eat something with gluten.

What type of MD told you that??

Have you been to a Dermatologist???

btw, It does sound like DH...

It can be a combination of ingestion AND topical. I'm convinced a gluten reaction from ingestion revs up your immune system so it's just looking for any excuse to go on hyperdrive some more.

Sigh.

Get yourself a big box of baking soda, a big jug of pure apple cider vinegar, and a jar of coconut oil. You can fake most body cosmetic needs with this stuff, other than makeup, until you find alternate brands.

Baking soda- can brush teeth with it, and it makes a surprising effective deodorant plain, or with the addition of some non allergenic talc or cornstarch powder. Get a plastic squeeze bottle and put it in that for the bathroom. Also can be used dissolved in water as a hair cleaner, then rinsed again.

Pure Apple Cider vinegar- 1 part vinegar to 7 parts water is hair rinse that leaves hair soft and shiny and untangled. Can be put into a spray bottle at a stronger strength dilution for spraying directly onto hair to detangle it.

Coconut oil. Dip a clean spoon into this, and a little goes a long way to moisturize anything or remove makeup. A tiny pea sized amount, rubbed into your palms then on the hair, can condition your whole hair after the vinegar rinse.

Diluted peroxide with water can be used as a mouth rinse, BUT DO NOT SWALLOW IT (because it will kill good bacteria in your gut, the opposite of what you want) and RINSE MOUTH WITH PLAIN WATER AFTERWARDS.

I'll second takala's advice. I've had to remove all products (except one toothpaste that I have that doesn't have xanthan gum etc..) and use similar to what Takala has suggested. I keep a cup bicarb soda in the shower and one next the sink.

Waht got me a few months back, itching like a dog with fleas, was eating too many foods with salicylates: tomatoes, eggplant, olive oil, canned green olives, etc. Check that as well as your toiletries. I used a different hairspray the other day and it ended up burning my scalp, still feels bad.

What type of MD told you that??

Have you been to a Dermatologist???

btw, It does sound like DH...

This time around it was an Endocronologist. My Celiac or gluten intolerance (no clear diagnosis and will not go back on gluten to risk a false negative) is attacking my thyroid and I have Hoshimoto's as well.

I started off at the regular dr, thinking it was allergy related, ended up at the allergist who said it wasn't allergy and then to a dermo who also said nope, not allergy, and prescribed prednizone and a steroid cream. Neither of which did anything. I did get a day or two of relieve from the rash, then it came back with a vengence. It took me about 6-8 weeks of gluten free to get clear skin.

The best way to describe mine, is if I get any gluten my back starts to feel dry and stretched like I have been out in the sun and it is burnt and dry, then it continues down my body. My legs get so bad that cloths, covers or anything on them actually hurts.

Trying to figure it all out is so frustrating. Sorry to hear about your challenges. I use olive oil and coconut oil and Euro Oil (completely organic) because it's great for everything- hair and body. Morrocco Method makes the Euro Oil. I tried the olive and coconut oil on my hair a few times- too heavy.

I've been pretty safe using products and eating foods that have a very small list of ingredients. I go even further than that with food actually- I cook at home 95% of the time and eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. It does take more time but it is worth the itch free factor.

i just had a recent attack that had nothing to do with gluten but it may help you. Try a free and clear detergent. I tried changing my detergent's free and clear version to the lavender one thinking it would be just as gentle- after all, what's one essential oil in the mix going to do. It turned out it wasn't just lavender. They added some crazy irritating fabric softener. That one took days to clear.

Good luck! :)