This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorghum Flour Mix - Recipes, Please?

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Okay, I need help.

I want to try a sorghum blend using Authentic Foods superfine sorghum... and it needs to be brown rice free (my Mom has a problem eating brown rice, and I need a mix to use while she's here). I'd also like it to be as multi-purpose as possible and not specific to just making specific items as some blends are.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Here are some flour mixes I have collected over the years: (I am sure you could sub white rice for the brown rice.

FLOUR MIXES

3 parts brown rice

3 parts cornstarach

2 parts sorghum

1 part masa harina

2. CAKE FLOUR MIX

1 part brown rice

1 part sorghum

1 part tapioca

3. ALL PURPOSE

1-1/2 cups brown rice or sorghum

1 cup white rice

1/2 cup tapioca

4. GOOD GRAINS

1 cup sorghum

1/2 cup millet

1/2 cup buckwheat

1/4 cup quinoa or nut

3/4 cup tapioca

5. KARINA'S FLOUR MIX

2 cups rice flour (or use half sorghum

2/3 cup cornstarach

1/3 cup tapioc a(or almond, buckwheat, quinoa)

1 tsp xanthan gum

SELF-RISING

1 cup mix

1-1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Mushroom, thank you!

Do you use sorghum and almond flour together? I like the idea of adding a nut flour but don't know of the two are very compatible.

Also, are you able to forgo the gums using sorghum, generally?

mushroom Proficient

Mushroom, thank you!

Do you use sorghum and almond flour together? I like the idea of adding a nut flour but don't know of the two are very compatible.

Also, are you able to forgo the gums using sorghum, generally?

While I have not done personally put sorghum and almond together, Karina (glutenfreegoddess) does. I have made this recipe several times Open Original Shared Link and she talks about subbing almond for the buckwheat if you want. It's a great recipe, must do it again soon. Providing you substitute like for like, starch for starch, heavier for heavier, you can get away with a lot of subbing. I use an egg instead of egg replacer, for example. If a recipe calls for oil I always use grapeseed or light olive oil.

When it comes to gums, I find they are mostly necessary (except in that banana bread we have been talking about). You could try subbing some gelatine (not sure of quantities but you could probably google it.

freeatlast Collaborator

While I have not done personally put sorghum and almond together, Karina (glutenfreegoddess) does. I have made this recipe several times Open Original Shared Link and she talks about subbing almond for the buckwheat if you want. It's a great recipe, must do it again soon. Providing you substitute like for like, starch for starch, heavier for heavier, you can get away with a lot of subbing. I use an egg instead of egg replacer, for example. If a recipe calls for oil I always use grapeseed or light olive oil.

When it comes to gums, I find they are mostly necessary (except in that banana bread we have been talking about). You could try subbing some gelatine (not sure of quantities but you could probably google it.

I've made this twice, as well, mushroom, and it is delish!

Korwyn Explorer

I use a couple different blends. This one seems to work well for me for pancakes/waffles

1/3 c sorghum

1/3 c sweet white rice

1/3 c millet

1 Tbsp amaranth

This one seems to work for me for breading, but I double bread things on the very rare occasions I eat anything breaded (I generally avoid all grains).

1/3 c Sorghum

1/3 c white rice

1 Tbsp potato flour

1 Tbsp amaranth

2 Tbsp millet

1 Tbsp chickpea/garbanzo

Archived