This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Party At Work Today

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

I don't make an issue of what I eat, but other people at the workplace do. They told me specifically that I should be fine because they ordered ham, mashed potatoes, turkey and cornbread stuffing for the party today. So for the first time in over a year and a half, I didn't pack my food. (I only brought my own salad dressing and a chocolate meringue pie.)

Ugh. The ham was served in the same chafing dish as the stuffing. It looked like it had oozed altogether. I was trying to use a fork to find a piece of ham that didn't have cc from the stuffing, because even though it was cornbread, I didn't know what else was in it. My Regional Administrator was in the line behind me and I apologized for taking up time, and she told me to take as much time as I needed. After a few attempts, I grabbed a piece, but I wonder if it was worth risking the CC. I ended up with salad served in a plastic bowl without croutons (but I'm sure that plastic bowl has served up plenty of croutons) and my own dressing. I had some mashed potatoes. I had the dessert I brought, chocolate cream pie in a meringue shell.

Last year was better. I packed my own salad ingredients and slipped into the buffet line, but didn't actually pick up anything. I hope I don't end up gluttened from eating at the holiday party today (had one piece of ham) but last year was easier and less stressfull when I just brought my own food, and sort of sneaked it in so it wouldn't be a big deal.

So I'm sending this topic as a suggestion or back up plan to anyone who has a workplace holiday function coming up. Just pack your own food. Honestly, I would have been happier with a rice cake and peanut butter, even though that's what I had for breakfast. I don't like the wondering and aftereffects, but maybe it will all (somehow miraculously) turn out ok.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

looking for info Rookie

Thank you for the heads up...I was sitting here the other day wondering if it was even worth asking my manager about the possibility of the holiday party having gluten free food for me to be able to participate. I always feel really left out of these types of events being I'm pretty new to the gluten free thing...I guess its much better to be left out of the party then to get super sick from eating something or having to worry if I'm going to react to something that I was told was Gluten free....Makes me feel better knowing im not alone

love2travel Mentor

I don't make an issue of what I eat, but other people at the workplace do. They told me specifically that I should be fine because they ordered ham, mashed potatoes, turkey and cornbread stuffing for the party today. So for the first time in over a year and a half, I didn't pack my food. (I only brought my own salad dressing and a chocolate meringue pie.)

Ugh. The ham was served in the same chafing dish as the stuffing. It looked like it had oozed altogether. I was trying to use a fork to find a piece of ham that didn't have cc from the stuffing, because even though it was cornbread, I didn't know what else was in it. My Regional Administrator was in the line behind me and I apologized for taking up time, and she told me to take as much time as I needed. After a few attempts, I grabbed a piece, but I wonder if it was worth risking the CC. I ended up with salad served in a plastic bowl without croutons (but I'm sure that plastic bowl has served up plenty of croutons) and my own dressing. I had some mashed potatoes. I had the dessert I brought, chocolate cream pie in a meringue shell.

Last year was better. I packed my own salad ingredients and slipped into the buffet line, but didn't actually pick up anything. I hope I don't end up gluttened from eating at the holiday party today (had one piece of ham) but last year was easier and less stressfull when I just brought my own food, and sort of sneaked it in so it wouldn't be a big deal.

So I'm sending this topic as a suggestion or back up plan to anyone who has a workplace holiday function coming up. Just pack your own food. Honestly, I would have been happier with a rice cake and peanut butter, even though that's what I had for breakfast. I don't like the wondering and aftereffects, but maybe it will all (somehow miraculously) turn out ok.

Marilyn, what an uncomfortable situation! I soooooo hope you will be 100%. It is a good reminder to us all, especially with Christmas parties and such. My husband's party is a huge event with great catered food (tux and gown affair). However, very little is safe for me so I am not going. The chance of cross contamination with 200 people is just too great. To me food is such a huge part of these events and I just know I would feel sorry for myself. I would not show it outwardly but I would feel it.

Please report back to us, ok?

Di2011 Enthusiast

I'll be thinking of you Marilyn. Wish you luck !! (and next time skip the ham ;) )

Thank you for the heads up...I was sitting here the other day wondering if it was even worth asking my manager about the possibility of the holiday party having gluten free food for me to be able to participate. I always feel really left out of these types of events being I'm pretty new to the gluten free thing...I guess its much better to be left out of the party then to get super sick from eating something or having to worry if I'm going to react to something that I was told was Gluten free....Makes me feel better knowing im not alone

Thanks for replying. It's funny. I felt more left out this year because I was trying to pick out a piece of ham from possibly contaminated rut row. Last year, I had a beautiful salad, packed from my lunch box. Even though I packed my own foods, I had I had nice things like hearts of palm and olives, and nice gluten-free SF tuna. Last year I felt safe coming home from the party. This year I wonder if I'm going to be sick from catered "We ordered it special for you" food. :ph34r:

Judy3 Contributor

We have what they are calling a Holiday 'Feast' at work tomorrow. (Giant Potluck) I am not participating because I am afraid of CC. I've been feeling so good that I don't think it's worth the risk. When they approached me about what I was bringing, I kindly declined and explained that there wouldn't be much of anything I could eat so to make it easier on all of us I'll just pass. THEY GOT MAD AT ME!!! Like I was supposed to cook and bring a dish to pass when it would most likely be the only thing I can eat? Eye roll!! :rolleyes:

Linus Newbie

Bummer. I have started to deal with this issue since I was diagnosed five months ago. The worst thing for me is to be called into an all day meeting and find out lunch is ordered in (sandwiches). I cannot really feel too bad since lunch is provided free. I look at it differently now since I have learned to pack a lunch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jlb56 Newbie

Another tip I've found that's useful is to make a dish for a potluck that is a "one dish meal" like a chili, soup, stew, etc so that at least you know what you brought is gluten-free and you will be full from eating it.

mushroom Proficient

Another tip I've found that's useful is to make a dish for a potluck that is a "one dish meal" like a chili, soup, stew, etc so that at least you know what you brought is gluten-free and you will be full from eating it.

And if you intend to share, take a good healthy serving for yourself first :lol:

Monael Apprentice

I am sorry you had such a hard time. I know I have had a hard time with a couple of situations at work but thankfully I was able to get by at the time. I am wondering how I would be able to deal with that situation and the only thing I could come up with is just not eating.

A funny story about a time before I was gluten free. It was a Thanksgiving feast and many people brought a dish to serve. A coworker was reheating her dish, I think it was the potatoes, and I happened to be in the room as she was checking on the progress. I saw her take a taste and then put the spoon back in the pot and stir it!! I was so grossed out that I kept thinking what other people had done cooking their dishes and I didn't eat anything!

We aren't having a pot luck at work but every year I have always baked a lot of treats and brought them in as gifts. I am doing the same thing this year, only they will be gluten free. I am not even going to say anything, either :)

mushroom Proficient

Hub and I belong to a club that has an annual Christmas party. Most times (like last year) we go when we can make arrangements ahead of time (a lot of people wanted what we three celiacs were having :P). I refuse to go and pay $33 per head and bring my own food. So this year I find out it is all going to be buffet food prepared by culinary students at one of the local universities, and we discussed the merits of getting together versus the difficulties of not eating, bringing own food, getting glutened (and believe me the whole thing is about the food) and decided to give it a pass. I got a call this morning, how come we weren't signed up for the lunch? Did I lie? Die I say we were going out of town that week? No, I just said the chances of our getting sick were just too high :ph34r: End of story.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hub and I belong to a club that has an annual Christmas party. Most times (like last year) we go when we can make arrangements ahead of time (a lot of people wanted what we three celiacs were having :P). I refuse to go and pay $33 per head and bring my own food. So this year I find out it is all going to be buffet food prepared by culinary students at one of the local universities, and we discussed the merits of getting together versus the difficulties of not eating, bringing own food, getting glutened (and believe me the whole thing is about the food) and decided to give it a pass. I got a call this morning, how come we weren't signed up for the lunch? Did I lie? Die I say we were going out of town that week? No, I just said the chances of our getting sick were just too high :ph34r: End of story.

It took me a while to get to this place, but I'm with you mushroom. Not worth the fuss, not worth the consequences.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Ugh! I hope you end up not getting glutened. I have one big party coming up but fortunately it's at someone's house, and lots of people, with food set out on several different tables. So it's very easy for me to eat at home (we only live three blocks away), then walk around the party with a drink in my hand. I'll nibble at the veggies maybe.

I'm doing a fellowship at a local hospital and we have "graduation" next week. The hospital will provide lunch. I asked the supervisor if he knew what was being served, which I shouldn't have done. I should have just brought my own. So next thing I know he talked to the director of the food service who basically said I should tell her what I want. Whatever I want they'll get. Nice, but NOT necessary! oy... I'd much rather just bring my own. I'm tempted to tell her I'll have steak and lobster. B) (just kidding)

Duhlina Apprentice

Hub and I belong to a club that has an annual Christmas party.

Yeah, we do too. Since this is my first year as a Celiac I was already starting to dread the thought of going....and sitting there with my water and a salad. Thankfully one of hub's friends just joined the club so when Hub told me the other night "We HAVE to go to the meeting this month for the Christmas party" I was prepared and told him I wasn't going. He put up a fight until I explained that there was no way I was sitting there with my own food and/or nothing while everyone else stuffed their faces. I told him he could go with his friend. That seemed to shut him up! :blink:

I was surprised when I got the invitation to my work party and there was a blurb on there about letting the organizer know if anyone had any dietary restrictions. That has NEVER been on there before. So, maybe it's not just me that has it at work!?! (not going to that party either haha).

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

A funny story about a time before I was gluten free. It was a Thanksgiving feast and many people brought a dish to serve. A coworker was reheating her dish, I think it was the potatoes, and I happened to be in the room as she was checking on the progress. I saw her take a taste and then put the spoon back in the pot and stir it!! I was so grossed out that I kept thinking what other people had done cooking their dishes and I didn't eat anything!

Over the years I've I've been in many commercial kitchens doing repairs or upgrading electrical power.. I've been an eyewitness to many old school cooks or chefs using the stir spoon to taste test their products... Buyer beware out there...

lynnelise Apprentice

This weekend is my husband's company party. I'm pretty well dreading it. It's at a new venue this year so I really don't want to eat. I'm hoping they call our name for a prize early the in the night so we can leave!

MenHen Rookie

We have what they are calling a Holiday 'Feast' at work tomorrow. (Giant Potluck) I am not participating because I am afraid of CC. I've been feeling so good that I don't think it's worth the risk. When they approached me about what I was bringing, I kindly declined and explained that there wouldn't be much of anything I could eat so to make it easier on all of us I'll just pass. THEY GOT MAD AT ME!!! Like I was supposed to cook and bring a dish to pass when it would most likely be the only thing I can eat? Eye roll!! :rolleyes:

I am so sorry they got mad at you! It should be your choice to participate or not, regardless of reason. I feel lucky that I changed jobs this year before going gluten free. There is only 11 of us here and we are doing a pot luck. There is one that is vegetarian, another with some food restrictions and one that is very strict on weight watchers, so I don't feel singled out. I will make something that is filling for me in a seperate container and give the rest to everyone else.

Over the years I've I've been in many commercial kitchens doing repairs or upgrading electrical power.. I've been an eyewitness to many old school cooks or chefs using the stir spoon to taste test their products... Buyer beware out there...

I can only imagine. I worked in restaraunts for years, so I won't even try to go to many places. I notice so many more contamination issues being gluten free that I get disgusted easily. I had always thought I was a clean cook and person, but now I realize I wasn't nearly as careful as I should have been. It now makes me cringe to see people reach in the same chip bag with their hands LOL

bigbird16 Apprentice

Aww, our bosslady's executive assistant is very sweet. She just forwarded me the catering menu for next week's holiday party and asked if there's anything I'd like from it. Let's see, there's fettucine alfredo, four-cheese ravioli, spaghetti with meatballs, pizza, a variety of sandwiches, calzones . . . . No thank you, but thank you for asking. She always makes a point to ask, which is so very nice of her, even though I've declined every time but the one time we had BBQ from a place that's never failed me.

I'm thinking a bowl of stew with meat and root veggies for lunch at the party. :)

love2travel Mentor

It took me a while to get to this place, but I'm with you mushroom. Not worth the fuss, not worth the consequences.

That is exactly how I feel. I just do not attend potential problem events and do not feel that I must justify myself, either. I used to gush and explain but those days are now gone and I feel good about that. :)

In the end, I did have a reaction.

What really bothers me about the situation is that I didn't follow the things that have always gotten me through situations like this. (That, and the reaction will probably be worse tomorrow.) I won't bore you with the details, but it sucks to be me right now. :lol:

I didn't pack safe foods for the "what if" situation. (What if you get caught in a serious traffic jam, what if you're delayed at the airport, what if there's nothing you feel you can safely eat?)

I had Jones brand ham slices in my refrigerator at home. If I'd taken a few slices and nuked them while everyone else was lining up for the buffet, I could have put them on a paper plate from the buffet, dumped my salad from my lunch box on the plate, and would have enjoyed the party so much more.

The other thing I usually do is make a dish to share (chocolate meringue pie was great, but I usually do something that can sustain me, like fennel coleslaw.) I pack a separate container for myself so that I don't have to fret about jockeying myself to go first.

The other thing I didn't do: call the caterer. Duh, duh, duh. (Knocking on head, guess it turned to wood.)

One other thing I thought I'd mention. One of our supervisors is a devout member of a religious organization that doesn't celebrate holidays. She did not participate in the holiday party at all. I respect that. And I think I learned from that.

Our choices aren't based on belief or religion, they're based on gut reaction.

I think it's a great thing to learn to say "No, but thank you so much for thinking of me"

looking for info Rookie

Thanks for replying. It's funny. I felt more left out this year because I was trying to pick out a piece of ham from possibly contaminated rut row. Last year, I had a beautiful salad, packed from my lunch box. Even though I packed my own foods, I had I had nice things like hearts of palm and olives, and nice gluten-free SF tuna. Last year I felt safe coming home from the party. This year I wonder if I'm going to be sick from catered "We ordered it special for you" food. :ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

In the end, I did have a reaction.

What really bothers me about the situation is that I didn't follow the things that have always gotten me through situations like this. (That, and the reaction will probably be worse tomorrow.) I won't bore you with the details, but it sucks to be me right now. :lol:

I didn't pack safe foods for the "what if" situation. (What if you get caught in a serious traffic jam, what if you're delayed at the airport, what if there's nothing you feel you can safely eat?)

I had Jones brand ham slices in my refrigerator at home. If I'd taken a few slices and nuked them while everyone else was lining up for the buffet, I could have put them on a paper plate from the buffet, dumped my salad from my lunch box on the plate, and would have enjoyed the party so much more.

The other thing I usually do is make a dish to share (chocolate meringue pie was great, but I usually do something that can sustain me, like fennel coleslaw.) I pack a separate container for myself so that I don't have to fret about jockeying myself to go first.

The other thing I didn't do: call the caterer. Duh, duh, duh. (Knocking on head, guess it turned to wood.)

One other thing I thought I'd mention. One of our supervisors is a devout member of a religious organization that doesn't celebrate holidays. She did not participate in the holiday party at all. I respect that. And I think I learned from that.

Our choices aren't based on belief or religion, they're based on gut reaction.

I think it's a great thing to learn to say "No, but thank you so much for thinking of me"

Aw, shoot. I was so hoping you would not have a reaction! :( But I appreciate how you have chosen to learn from this experience. Learning to say "no" is not easy for many of us but I have had a lot of practice with that this year!

dandt Newbie

I'm a student and I work part time for my parents. The plan this year was that there were hot and cold platters and we would cook kebabs. I knew 2, possibly 3 of the 4 kebab varieties were safe.

The plan changed when no one cooked the kebabs. So there was essentially nothing for me. Thinking of the kebabs I didn't bring dip and biscuits or heat up pies etc. big mistake. I ate some meatballs that were on the hot plates and I suspect I got glutened. Later In the night I ate some of those Salami stick things on a platter because they often appear gluten free. Man was I hungry. Had to go through mcds on the way back (I'm in australia)

But yeah, I've only been gluten free for around a year but I've stopped going to many things where food is the focus. My 'friends' would organise to go out for dinner at places I couldn't go safely and wouldn't be willing to take my input on where to go. In the end I just would say I couldn't risk it. These are the same people who said I was exaggerating and a donut won't hurt. They said I should suck it up so it just wasn't worth it :P

I usually have some stuff in my car :P

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi dandt,

are you on or reading the australian/nz thread ? you might get some good ideas/connections etc there.

Korwyn Explorer

I hope things work out OK and you survive. :)

I took a slightly different route at work. We have a small department (16 people) in our own building, so last year I proposed a Christmas breakfast. I organized it and prepared/cooked most of the food. I prepped almost everything at home and brought it in and cooked it there. It worked out really well. We're doing it again this year. Three of us in our department are gluten-free by necessity, one additional by choice due to mild gluten sensitivity.

I'm very blessed in my work environment though. We have 160+ employees. There are no fewer than 8 of us that are gluten-free for health reasons -- celiac, non-celiac gluten enteropathy, or severe gluten sensitivity. There are another 3 or 4 that I know of who are gluten-free because of mild sensitivity. Every one of them has come about in the last 2.5 years since I got diagnosed. I've made it kind of a mission to educate people as much as possible at work whenever they ask about my 'diet'. :)

It also helps that we have a fairly new ND in the area who is very aware of food intolerance/sensitivity and gluten related issues. I've referred several people to her (though I don't see her myself) and one of them at work had her rheumatoid arthritis go into almost complete remission after a few weeks of being on a gluten/casein/soy/nightshade free diet. Another lady eliminated gluten along with a bunch of other food issue, and she is like a whole new person, personality and all. So that has help 'spread the word' so to speak as well. :D

Archived