Rate this topic

Tonight i think i am planing to make gluten-free gravy. Which i havent done before. I wanted make sure i do it right. I got some chicken stock and zxantham gum. Do i just need to add the xantham gum once i heat the stock up.

Samie, I would not use xanthan gum or you'll get a gloppy, slimy mess. Last time I made gravy I made a roux using pan drippings (you could use butter if you don't have drippings) and sweet rice flour. You could probably use a different gluten-free flour or blend.

Or simply thicken your gravy with cornstarch. Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of water first.

I don't make much gravy but these two things have worked for me.

Edit: You might want to check some websites like allrecipes.com or food.com to see what recipes you might find for gluten-free gravy.

Edited by sa1937

Did you know it's a laxative?!

Millet works really well, too. If you make a roux first, just add millet flour like you would regular. We used it for Thanksgiving this year and no one knew the difference.

Sylvia is right - definitely no need for gums in gravy. Like already suggested, I use cornstarch or millet or sorghum for gravy. We rarely make it because I like to deglaze with wine and make a jus or glaze instead as I did last night with our roast chicken.

You certainly need not be deprived of great gravy! :)

Samie, I would not use xanthan gum or you'll get a gloppy, slimy mess. Last time I made gravy I made a roux using pan drippings (you could use butter if you don't have drippings) and sweet rice flour. You could probably use a different gluten-free flour or blend.

Or simply thicken your gravy with cornstarch. Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of water first.

I don't make much gravy but these two things have worked for me.

Edit: You might want to check some websites like allrecipes.com or food.com to see what recipes you might find for gluten-free gravy.

That's how I make it too. Or close to it. I usually use olive oil instead of butter.

xanthan gum,sorghum and cornstarch all have potential to cause adverse reactions so personally would never choose to use any of these. Trick is to keep as far from refined as possible. Gravy is not difficult, trial your own mixes, starting as always with the juices and fats from whatever meat you have cooked.

Add to the tray of meat juices some water, cider or red wine to create quantity and perhaps a little more flavour if choosing the latter two. Place tray over heat, stir and scrape bottom to loosen extra flavour.

Pour into serving jug, add arrowroot, almond flour and perhaps a mushroom and/or half a small onion, sage, fennel seed and a little pepper (add what herbs and spice you prefer, it's your creation). Use hand blender to liquidise and serve,

Gorgeous...and healthy too!

Tonight i think i am planing to make gluten-free gravy. Which i havent done before. I wanted make sure i do it right. I got some chicken stock and zxantham gum. Do i just need to add the xantham gum once i heat the stock up.

What a great idea to use chicken stock instead of milk. Please let us know how that worked for you. I tried making gravy about a month ago with all boiling water instead of milk, and it was pretty close to ineatable.

For Thanksgiving gravy my sister-in-law used potato starch. It was pretty good!

What a great idea to use chicken stock instead of milk. Please let us know how that worked for you. I tried making gravy about a month ago with all boiling water instead of milk, and it was pretty close to ineatable.

I was told before chicken stock is good for gravy.

Thanks evreyone for the suggestions. I am gonna use some flour mixture i got.

Imagine Foods makes gluten-free gravy. They list turkey and beef on their website but they also make a vegan mushroom gravy that is gluten-free too. I've used them several times and they are great.

I was told before chicken stock is good for gravy.

Chicken stock (homemade) is the best! I also add a splash of white wine.