Scott Adams

Long-Term Risk of GI Cancers Not Elevated in Celiac Patients - Family Practice News Digital Network

Rate this topic

Yea!

(And I say this as I'm having an alien abduction episode next week. Makes me a little calmer.)

TK Kenyon

Cancer of the small intestine is as rare in diagnosed coeliacs as it is in the general population #.

Before the small intestines has healed, there exists a slightly higher potential to develop cancer of the small intestine - they have always known that .. Following the gluten-free diet reduces the potential to the same level as the rest of the general population - they have always known that, also .. DN was diagnosed over 20 years ago as a child. Her gastroenterologist pointed this out to her "weird gluten-free-diet" sceptical parents ..

# For the general population:

The age-adjusted incidence rate of cancer of the small intestine was 1 in 50,000 per year in US.

The age-adjusted death rate of cancer of the small intestine was 1 in 250,000 per year in US.

... based on National Cancer Institute

Agreed small intestinal cancer is rare, but enteropathy-associated T-cell leukemia (EATL) is still pretty scary stuff given its strong association with celiac and dire outlook.