bbdailey

Too Much B12?

Rate this topic

My B12 was 200 before going gluten free in May of this year. I have been taking 2000 units of B12 a day since then and now my B12 level just came back at 1500. Could this high of a level be bad?

Might be, depending on how you feel. It can cause tachycardia, angnia-chestpain, or panic/anxiety attacks. In studies done with animals, given high b-12 supplements. The animals with high b-12 compared to the animals with no supplements, high b-12 caused more cancer.

I do not think your levels are high enough to be of worry. Unless you get dizzy or have any of the above symptoms. I would probably reduce the amount you take to be safe. IF you are having symptoms I would quit the b-12 for a little while. B)

Your not that much over the upper level. I wouldn't worry about it but you should cut down your supplements level a bit as you are basically peeing away your money. Go to every other day or even every three days. Have your doctor check your levels again on your next visit to make sure the levels have gone down a bit and that they haven't dropped too far.

This is interesting. I thought that B12 helped with anxiety/panic - not caused it. Those symptoms, as well as heart related issues is why I started supplementing.

Last check (last month) mine was 1482. Had high Folate also.

I'm taking a break from it now 'cause I feel a bit better.

This is interesting. I thought that B12 helped with anxiety/panic - not caused it. Those symptoms, as well as heart related issues is why I started supplementing.

Last check (last month) mine was 1482. Had high Folate also.

I'm taking a break from it now 'cause I feel a bit better.

Good plan but do keep an eye on those levels. Be aware that if you are supplementing folate that can cause a falsely high reading on the B12. After you have been on the break from both for a couple months or so have your doctor check you levels again.

I'm actually not supplementing Folate - it was just naturally high (can't recall the number).

I do plan to have all my vitamins & minerals rechecked on Jan. 5th.

All the research I've done on B12 indicates that there is no known upper limit. No ill effects have ever been found. There have been studies showing that even as much as 60mg (60,000 mcg) per day can be beneficial for certain conditions such as MS. However, the method of testing may be in question, as there are at least two different tests which I'm aware of. And from what I've read, the different tests can give different readings. Just having a high serum B12 level doesn't mean the body stores are also high.

The form of B12 you take is also important, though I think that's for absorption and assimilation. I don't recall seeing anything about different forms at different levels within the body.

• Upvote 1