This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Starbucks Saga Continues...

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

Don't know if you remember my question last week about the Starbucks peppermint mocha lattes. I had that awful gluteny headache last week after I had the skinny one. I called the company and they had no idea of the ingredients. (which is odd, but that would be a different post.)

Anyway, so I'm sitting in Starbucks right now, finishing my peppermint mocha. I looked at both ingredients lists and didn't see anything that had gluten. So I decided to try it one more time. The girl assured me that whatever it's made in was a clean container, etc. (although of course I understand how easy it is to cc something).

Then, it suddenly occurred to me that last week I had the SKINNY one, but I just blanked out on that and had the regular calorie-laden one tonight. So I just went and asked to see the bottle of sugar-free peppermint. On that list is "maltodextrin" which is not in the regular peppermint syrup. I thought that maltodextrin was safe, despite its name. The only other ingredient not in the regular syrup is sucralose. I didn't think I normally react to artificial sweeteners... I have a Diet Coke several times a week and never have any kind of reaction.

The only other options might be the "natural flavors" or whatever it was called. Or vanillan?

Anyway, I just thought I'd try this experiment since I don't have to work tomorrow. But now I'm annoyed at myself that I forgot I ordered the skinny one last week. So I may have to repeat the whole thing next week, if I don't have a reaction tomorrow morning. :P (I only do Starbucks on Thursdays while my dd is in a two-hour dance class...we live just too far for me to drop her off and then drive home, so I come here.)

I feel like a detective. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Some people have a reaction to sucralose. It isn't in regular diet coke. There is a special diet coke with a yellow stripe that has sucralose. Sucralose is Splenda.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Some people have a reaction to sucralose. It isn't in regular diet coke. There is a special diet coke with a yellow stripe that has sucralose. Sucralose is Splenda.

Well...I'll see if I have any reaction from this not-skinny latte. Then I'll try the skinny one next week. Or find something else with sucralose in it. I never use artificial sweeteners of any kind, except for that diet coke (which is actually about half and half, half diet and half regular cherry coke).

We will see... sure did taste good though. B)

Di2011 Enthusiast

Also read about maltodextrin:

Open Original Shared Link

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sucralose, trade named Splenda, does not sit well with everyone, and isnot the artificial sweetener used in diet coke.

Good luck figuring out your answer!

Monklady123 Collaborator

Well I woke up this morning feeling perfectly fine. So either it was the skinny latte that I got the first time, or just some cc. sigh... wish I hadn't fogotten that I got the skinny version! <_<

Anyone know off-hand what else uses sucralose? I might try that little experiment and see what happens.

Off to google sucralose. :)

edited to add: I just googled "foods with sucralose" and discovered that some of the low-cal yogurts have it. Dannon I think was one. So that will be an easy experiment since I'll only have to buy one small container.

kareng Grand Master

Well I woke up this morning feeling perfectly fine. So either it was the skinny latte that I got the first time, or just some cc. sigh... wish I hadn't fogotten that I got the skinny version! <_<

Anyone know off-hand what else uses sucralose? I might try that little experiment and see what happens.

Off to google sucralose. :)

edited to add: I just googled "foods with sucralose" and discovered that some of the low-cal yogurts have it. Dannon I think was one. So that will be an easy experiment since I'll only have to buy one small container.

Snitch a pack of Splenda at Starbucks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Monklady123 Collaborator

Snitch a pack of Splenda at Starbucks?

Lol...didn't think of that. :P

Monklady123 Collaborator

Okay, I take it back about feeling fine. Over the course of this morning I've developed that awful gluten headache. :ph34r: I'm 100% positive it wasn't anything I ate yesterday because it was all made here at home. Oatmeal (gluten free, and I eat it all the time so I know it's fine) with milk, an apple, a Glutino cereal bar, a salad (eaten at work but brought from home in my own container and with my own salad dressing), hummos, carrots, chicken, baked potato, green beans. All cooked by me.

So it had to be my peppermint mocha latte. :( And it wasn't the splenda since I had the high-calorie regular one last night.

Now, is it the mocha? or the peppermint syrup. I'm betting on the syrup because the ingredients list on the mocha stuff was very short. Plus, I'm sure I've had mocha there before with no effects.

Anyway, I'm done with Starbucks I think. Going to the grocery store today and I'll be looking for peppermint syrup. :)

kareng Grand Master

Look up Coffeemate. They might have a peppermint flavor.

Open Original Shared Link

I saw this on a TV show for hot cocoa. Might work for coffee, too. Pulverize a candy cane really fine. Put that in the coffee.

Archived