BethM55

What Is Superfine Brown Rice Flour?

Rate this topic

I'm looking at a recipe for gluten free sugar cookies, which calls for superfine brown rice flour. How is that different from plain old brown rice flour? :blink:

I grind my own, from short grain brown rice, in my Vitamix. If I double grind it, will it be superfine?

Thank you!!

I'm looking at a recipe for gluten free sugar cookies, which calls for superfine brown rice flour. How is that different from plain old brown rice flour? :blink:

I grind my own, from short grain brown rice, in my Vitamix. If I double grind it, will it be superfine?

Thank you!!

Yes - the specification is because a lot of commercially available rice flour is ground rather coarsely, which leaves baked goods with a gritty mouth feel. You want the flour to feel like flour, not like fine sand.

FYI - I buy mine from Asian or Indian grocery stores, and it's all finely ground, plus cheaper than you can get it at health food stores.

Yes - the specification is because a lot of commercially available rice flour is ground rather coarsely, which leaves baked goods with a gritty mouth feel. You want the flour to feel like flour, not like fine sand.

FYI - I buy mine from Asian or Indian grocery stores, and it's all finely ground, plus cheaper than you can get it at health food stores.

Thank you. I'll be sure to grind the rice a bit longer than usual. That should do it. I hope the sugar cookies come out nicely. I miss them, this time of year!

GOOD for you for grinding your own! Easy peasy, no? Lucky you for having such a good blender! Enjoy those cookies.

GOOD for you for grinding your own! Easy peasy, no? Lucky you for having such a good blender! Enjoy those cookies.

Thanks! Yes, it's very easy grinding grains into flour in a Vitamix. Just have to remember that the grains need to be frozen first because so much heat is generated by the grinding.

People rarely understand when I tell them I grind my own rice flour. They don't understand why I don't just buy it. This way I can control exactly what is in the flour and how fresh it is.

Haven't tried the cookies yet, as I got distracted by overripe bananas and baked a banana cake instead. Yum!