Jestgar

Egg White Recipes Needed!

Rate this topic

A friend is making eggnog which uses 6 dozen egg yolks. :o I offered to take those pesky egg whites off her hands so now I'm looking for recipes, ideally ones that freeze well.

Meringue shells? I know I've frozen those in the past.

I also thought of coconut macaroons but don't know if they'd freeze well or not as I've never tried it...nor have I made them in ages.

A friend is making eggnog which uses 6 dozen egg yolks. :o I offered to take those pesky egg whites off her hands so now I'm looking for recipes, ideally ones that freeze well.

I foresee a lot of meringues in your future.

Fluff cakes

6 egg whites

1 cup sugar

1/2 pint cream

1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites 30 minutes add sugar very gradually.beat more. Drop the mixture from a spoon about 3 inches apart, on a well greased wax paper placed on a baking sheet. Light oven as you place cakes in. Bake very slowly about 40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream, put the cream on top of cake and another cake on top of that.

Recipe does not give oven temperature but I'd use temp advised for meringues.

This is from a 1930's Creole cookbook.

Angel food cake!

Tart Angelique

8 egg whites

2 cups sugar

1 tsp vinegar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 pint whipping cream

Flavor cream highly with sherry or whiskey. Add 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat whites for 10 minutes, add sugar gradually by sifting a little in at a time, beating for 10 minutes. Add vinegar and vanilla. Put in a large deep cake pan with loose bottom lightly buttered. Bake in a very slow oven for one hour. When cold pile flavored whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with nuts and cherries.

Same cook book....

Btw you can freeze egg whites!

http://joyofbaking.mobi/ingredients/Eggs.html

Yes, but not for very long, and this is 6 dozen egg whites....

Those meringue type cookies look good. I'll start sampling whiskey for flavoring straight away!

I'd try adding cocoa to the meringue cookie or the whipped cream. Also might add coffee extract.

I'd try orange liquor as well as sherry or bourbon...toss winter fruit in Cointreau and simple syrup and pile in the meringue.

Why not some macarons (as opposed to macaroons which are entirely different) as well? You can make tons of flavours - just google for hundreds of recipes. They are delicate, very French and naturally gluten free. Popular in bakeries. They also freeze (I would freeze without the fillings).

http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/12/07/pretty-peppermint-macarons?utm_source=Foodista+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=1d03b77cb4-Newsletter_12-04-11_John-Besh&utm_medium=email

Hey Jestgar,

Ask her not to pollute your six dozen egg whites with any yolk if you're doing meringue.

There's a chocolate pie in a meringue pie shell that you make with 3/4 cup melted chocolate chips and whipped cream on Allrecipes, maybe My Mom's Favorite

Chocolate Pie. It was posted on the forum and is absolutely to die for, especially if you add a bit of dark chocolate to the chocolate chips and substitute Gran Marnier for the vanilla. And there's Pavlova to consider...

You're right though, those recipes only took 2-3 egg whites. I think you could refrigerate them for awhile (4 days) and make some nice omelets or scramled eggs too. I wonder if you can make egg foo yong with egg whites, what an interesting dilemna. (Personally, I find anything with bean sprouts and shrimp delicious, if you stuck some egg white in there, it would be even better.)

I plan to help her so I'll save the pristinest egg whites for me, and cook up anything with yolk bits in it for the chickens.