ravenwoodglass

Cookie Contest Winner - Gluten Free

Rate this topic

My city newspaper does a cookie contest every year and this years winner is a gluten free cookie made from almond paste. Beat out a whole bunch of wheat based ones too. The girl who made them isn't even gluten free but her father and brother are. Definately brightened my dreary day to read about it as it is nice to see non-gluten free folks realizing that we really can have food that is gluten free and tasty too.

Warms my heart, too--thanks for sharing!

....and can we expect the actual recipe soon? With Xmas around the corner, I'd love to have a new cookie recipe...

One recipe coming up:

Bridget Healey's Gluten Free Almond Paste Cookies

1 lb. almond paste (grated fine)

3 to 4 egg whites

1tbsp brown rice flour

2 cups confectioners sugar

crushed almonds or confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grate paste then add egg whites and beat until smooth. Next add flour and sugar and mix. Refrigerate dough for one hour.

Take dough out of fridge and drop walnut sized spoonfuls in crushed almonds or confectioners sugar. Coat throughly then drop on ungreased baking sheet. Bake cookies for 20 minutes and let cool before removing from baking tray.

Optional: Dip half cookie in melted dark chocolate and let rest in fridge until hardened.

Recipe from Finger Lakes Times.

Yippie!! Thanks...and it's even easy! I've never bought almond paste, though. Is there a gluten-free brand? Or are we expected to make an almond paste of some kind? Yes, I'm not much of a cook....

Yippie!! Thanks...and it's even easy! I've never bought almond paste, though. Is there a gluten-free brand? Or are we expected to make an almond paste of some kind? Yes, I'm not much of a cook....

You should be able to find it in the baking aisle. The one we have used came in a cylinder shaped package. Don't remember the name of it though. I think almond paste is just almonds ground up so should be gluten free as long as nothing has been added to it.

That is pretty cool. My mom told me that something similar was in their paper not to long ago. There was local baking contest and a gluten free desert(don't know exactly what it was) won the contest.

Thank you for posting that recipe Ravenwood. I was thinking about gluten-free cookies and could only come up with meringues.

All of my aunts and my grandparents were from Dutch descent. They used to bake with almond paste quite a bit. Thanks for adding to our gluten-free holiday goodies! :)

I made a half of recipe today. They look nice and have a decent taste, but I don't like the texture. Maybe the hub will care for them more.

you can make your own almond paste with ground up almonds and oil. I use coconut oil, mix it with ground almonds, and eat it on buckwheat crackers or rice cakes

Interesting - this is a common recipe that is eerily similar to amaretti cookies. I've seen it many times before so I am afraid it is not a novel idea. Some people really love amaretti. I like to use them in tiramisu as they make good ladyfingers.

Having said that, it is great to see a gluten-free cookie winning!