WinterSong

Christmas Cookie Advice

Rate this topic

I'm planning on baking gingerbread cookies next week and have a recipe from "1,000 Gluten Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster. It says to put the dough in the fridge to chill for two hours. My question - because of time issues, if I make the dough wednesday morning would it be okay to bake the cookies thursday morning?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

In my personal experience I find the longer the dough is refrigerated the better the cookies ( roll-out type dough) is for holding together.

good luck

Certainly! I almost always refrigerate cookie dough at least 24 hours for better texture and flavour. Just did it again today, actually. Made cookies yesterday morning and they are now baking.

Great thank for the advice! I would normally refrigerate them overnight but this is my first time baking gluten-free gingerbread men. For normal butter/christmas cookie cut outs should I do the same?

Great thank for the advice! I would normally refrigerate them overnight but this is my first time baking gluten-free gingerbread men. For normal butter/christmas cookie cut outs should I do the same?

I personally would. Sometimes with gluten-free baking cookies tend to spread a bit. So, when the dough is cold it is less prone to spreading. However, when mixing the dough, all ingredients (including the eggs) should be at room temperature for best results. I sift out all my flours that are in the freezer the night before to bring them up to temp and set me eggs on the counter.

I think my cookies do better (less spread) after refrigerating. Got dough that I made yesterday that I will be baking later tonight. I have also frozen my dough to use much later and it has turned out fine.

With my refrigerated dough, I pound/roll into a log and just slice off 1/4" circles place on a pan and bake . . . like the Pilsbury dough that we all USED to be able to buy.

Just wrap/seal well so that it doesn't pick up weird refrigerator smells.

How about non-cut out ones - in the fridge, too? I think I'm going to make a batch of almond/dried cherry cookies as well :)

Whenever you see instuctions to chill dough feel free to chill it up to a few days, as long as the dough does not get dried out. You may even freeze the dough. Doughs are chilled in order to make it easier to roll or form into a shape, and it makes it so the cookie doesn't spread so much while baking. Don't ever worry about leaving cookie dough in the fridge overnight, or even a whole day.