hem

How To Do Deal With Rude Family Member?

Rate this topic

I don't know if I am being over-sensitive, but my brother and I got into a very heated discussion about my disease earlier today. He had told me that I shouldn't get so "moody" when someone raves about a food I cannot eat. I never notice that I apparently become "moody", but he said I'm too sensitive about Celiac. He told me, in his exact words, to "just deal with it and get over it". That really stung. If he had Celiac, he would NOT simply just "get over it". It hurt my feelings, and I had to choke back tears. I know he doesn't understand, but I would think he would have more tact. Am I being too dramatic, or is he truly being unfair to me? I am only 15, with my brother being a year older. Teenagers, especially siblings, can be really cruel, but I feel this was just too much to be attacked about my diet because I didn't choose to be this way. At times, I can feel lonely and left out because of my dietary restrictions. What's your opinion?

Has he been tested? It is a genetic disease. Maybe he has it, too?

He actually has not been tested, but he does not get any reactions. Then again, some cases do not show symptoms.

Well, sometimes we do get a bit touchy about things. Then again, he could just be acting like a typical 16 year old brother, know what I mean?

Think about it the next time the situation pops up. Do YOU think you're overreacting? Ask someone else who is there and get a third opinion. Go from there.

If he is just being a jerk, then bonk him upside the head or provide some distance until he wonders what is up. Then again some people would never notice.

On a cautionary note. The one thing many people do that they should not IMO is to make sure everyone in the world knows about their medical issues all the time. "Oh I can't eat that"... or "don't eat that in front of me." It gets old fast to the rest of the world and can cause some negative reactions over time.. I admit that I was over talking about it in the beginning although I did not care who ate what in front of me. I always had something I could eat with me. That is my responsibility since the disease is mine. We have to make sure this does not consume us and our friends and family.

• Upvote 1