Rate this topic

hello everyone. Well im new to the celiac world and had a question about glutten free bread. ive seen all sorts of good recipies out there that i cant wait to try, the only question was what will make glutten free bread fluffy? ive bought some in the past, but they were all very dense so before i begin is there a magical ingrediant that makes it soft?

thanks

Welcome, buddhabelly! Light, fluffy gluten-free bread is one of the great mysteries of the universe! :lol: I am still searching for that *perfect* recipe. That said, you might want to use the google button on the top right corner of your screen and do a search for bread recipes. A lot of have posted in the past.

Do you have a bread machine or a stand mixer?

I've done some searching online and I also have a gluten free cook book, I was just curriouse if there was something special that should be added that may have not been mentioned in the recepies that I've seen.

sa1937, I will be using a stand mixer.

fantasticalice, what is dough enhancer, and can you get that anywhere?

Thank you for your replies. :)

I think one element is the starches. Higher starch ratio = fluffier. (I believe...) Another element is probably using a finely ground rice flour, instead of a 'regular' rice flour. I've tried the recipe from someone on here for sandwich bread, and for my taste it was too moist. Plus it collapsed in the middle. I think the fact that I'm at a (almost) 2000ft elevation may have some influence on my results, but they don't consider it 'high altitude' until it's around 3000 ft or so, I think.

I found a thread by Riceguy where he adds psyllium husk powder in addition to guar gum. Then again, part of it probably also depends on the conditions in your kitchen (i.e. heat and humidity - I live in a very dry climate). Personally, I prefer some substance to my bread, and I'm only about 6 weeks gluten-free right now, so I'm very much still learning.

For that "extra fluffy" texture, some people like to whip egg whites, and fold them into the batter.

There are a few products out there which are supposed to help. One you can find on the Gluten-Free Mall site, to which there is a link at the top of the page. It's called Orgran Gluten-Free Gluten Substitute. Another product is called Expandex, which you can find via a web search.

As was stated, starches do tend to lighten up the texture, though the holy grail of white sandwich bread does seem to be an elusive one.

Do be careful when choosing dough enhancer, as they're not all formulated to be gluten-free. You can find gluten-free dough enhancer, as well as many other gluten-free ingredients here.

I found a thread by Riceguy where he adds psyllium husk powder in addition to guar gum. Then again, part of it probably also depends on the conditions in your kitchen (i.e. heat and humidity - I live in a very dry climate). Personally, I prefer some substance to my bread, and I'm only about 6 weeks gluten-free right now, so I'm very much still learning.

Yes, the combination of psyllium and guar gum does work for hardier breads, but not for the fluffier, starchy ones. For those, xanthan is still the best thing I'm aware of as far as binders go.

Well I just wanted to thank everyone for your replies. I will definitly be trying your sugestions and will post the results next week.

thanks again