Googles

Comments From Others

Rate this topic

Does it annoy you when others make comments about your celiac. I was at practicum the other day and one of the interns brought in cookies. We were all waiting in the little kitchenette area and one of the staff (as people were eating cookies) 'at least you don't have to worry about eating these'. It was so frustrating. I just was like "uh, huh." When I really wanted to say was, "WTF? I wish I could eat those things. It would make my life a lot easier." Ugh. I know she was just trying to make it less awkward, and I realized this right after I took a breath. I wish people weren't uncomfortable eating around me. I've gotten over it (most of the time) when people eat around me. I wish they would be comfortable. I don't even have gluten cravings after getting glutened any more (knock on wood). I wish I could just tell people in my life to not worry about me and food and they would believe me.

I understand. Funny how it usually isn't about YOU but about them, isn't it?

I can't knock people too much, I remember the days of blissful ignorance....

LOL.... I know what you mean. People in general don't know what to say about a lot of touchy topics: illnesses, weight loss, break ups... I try to laugh it off. I'm not always successful but I try. ;-)

Today at a holiday concert there were free cookies. I'm learning to be happy for other people ( :P ) and so as I walked past an aquaintance eating cookies at the table (that smelled #$%^&* good, darnit!) I said, "mmm, cookies!" She said, "yeah! Oh, and you should try the Roca! ..ur, uh um... wait, you can't have any, can...voice trails off...SORRY!"

I just laughed and waved her off. I don't keep track of what people do and don't eat, so it's just funny. My celiac disease made me very ill, so it was kind of high profile.

I'm glad they care. I wish it wasn't awkward. Oh well.

I like the thought that was in your head, probably would have shocked them to have the words actually come out of your mouth. They have no clue!!

Yesterday morning I was cooking myself some sausage for breakfast and husband says with this pouty whine in his voice, "oh eating what I can't have." BS! He has problems with gout so he had to limit his meats, or at least is supposed to. If he gets too much meat on a continual basis he will get a flare-up in his toe. However, he does take daily meds for this and they can increase the dosage, it's not like there is no solution. I turned to him and told him that actually he could ahve the sausage if he just ate less meat the rest of the day. Who was it that totally pigged out and gorged themselves at the Christmas dinner buffet we went to recently, regradless of that 6 oz meat guideline? And who was stuck eating salad and fruit because everything was loaded with gluten? Who is going without? Ugh, people!!!

LOL.... I know what you mean. People in general don't know what to say about a lot of touchy topics: illnesses, weight loss, break ups... I try to laugh it off. I'm not always successful but I try. ;-)

Today at a holiday concert there were free cookies. I'm learning to be happy for other people ( :P ) and so as I walked past an aquaintance eating cookies at the table (that smelled #$%^&* good, darnit!) I said, "mmm, cookies!" She said, "yeah! Oh, and you should try the Roca! ..ur, uh um... wait, you can't have any, can...voice trails off...SORRY!"

I just laughed and waved her off. I don't keep track of what people do and don't eat, so it's just funny. My celiac disease made me very ill, so it was kind of high profile.

I'm glad they care. I wish it wasn't awkward. Oh well.

I would have laughed and said "I can have cookies, just not THOSE".

Yeah, people don't get the part about glutenous foods making me see rat poison. I gave NO DESIRE to eat it.

I do look at stuff and think "how can I recreate THAT???". but that's really the extent of it.

Sure, there are a few things that pull at my heart strings but it just ain't worth it.

My husband was being pouty about being the DD at his own company Christmas party. It's a fancy dinner at a lovely resort with the best food and I can't eat anything but salad. You better believe I'm taking advantage of the open bar! lol! Trust me I love food, I'd much rather pig out at the dinner than drink!!!

Aside from celiac I have chronic mono so I feel beyond tired and generally horrible the majority of the time. I get a lot of people who say they understand because "I was too tired to get to the gym this morning" or "the holidays wear everybody out". I guess they are trying to be supportive but really they are just minimizing my concerns.

I'm back in college and one of my teachers bought the class pizza on our last day. She said to me, "Have some pizza." I said, "Thanks, but I am gluten intolerant." She looked at me and said, "You want a breadstick?" Me and another girl looked at each other and started cracking up. I said, "Um, thank you, no." She then turned around and said, "Wait? What did you say?" Then we all started laughing. Her brother has celiac, so she knew all about it and had just heard me wrong. But it was hilarious at the time.

I'm back in college and one of my teachers bought the class pizza on our last day. She said to me, "Have some pizza." I said, "Thanks, but I am gluten intolerant." She looked at me and said, "You want a breadstick?" Me and another girl looked at each other and started cracking up. I said, "Um, thank you, no." She then turned around and said, "Wait? What did you say?" Then we all started laughing. Her brother has celiac, so she knew all about it and had just heard me wrong. But it was hilarious at the time.

Glad you have a sense of humor, bumblebee! It goes a long way when we run into moments like this!

So at the same position, my supervisor was giving all the interns candy. She said that as she was packing it up she was hoping that I would be able to eat what she got. She had caught me on a day where I was really tired and had to literally think hard as to if I could eat the Hershey kisses she had given me (given they were out of the original package so I didn't just have an ingredient list). She was so sweet to think about that. She knows because as my supervisor I had to tell her for any accommodations I might need, but it was so sweet of her to think of me.