pricklypear1971

Whole Grain Flour Mix - Paralysis By Analysis

Rate this topic

Ok, I am definitely overanalyzing this.

I want to order some flours for baking and want to get away from the rices as much as I can.

I want to try a sorghum (superfine white) blend, but need another whole grain to mix with it other than brown rice. I need opinions about other whole grains that seem to have a NEUTRAL flavor and are versatile. What do YOU like? What do you use most (with sorghum or in another blend) and why? Here are some choices:

Amaranth

Millet

Oat

Teff

In the end I will have this mix:

350g sorghum superfine

350g X?

150g potato starch

150g tapioca flour/starch

Thank you!

Amaranth.

It has this interesting quality to it, that when I've used it in breads, the result is mold retardant when the bread is stored in the refrigerator. Plus it is somewhat "stickier" than other types of flours.

It seems I might be millet reactive, which is a sort of bummer as it tastes good, but it's not worth getting sick on. I am not sure about my oats reaction (who wants to find out, really, but I'm suspicious) and teff does not have a neutral taste, but it works as part of a blend with other gluten-free flours. I know I would not serve gluten-free millet or oats to another celiac/gluten intolerant without warning them.

I think Carol Fenster's blend uses corn flour. That is the blend I'm going to use anyway in the next sweet bread or muffins I make.

Any or all! I have been doing some baking with oat flour that I ground myself. So far so good, no one is sick, no one has bathroom issues, which always happens. I think Bob's Red Mill does a good job of keeping gluten out of it's products.

My picks would be (in order of preference) due to the characteristics of each in an AP blend:

Amaranth

Millet

Garfava

Chickpea

Quinoa

Ivory teff

Yellow corn flour

Oat

Any or all! I have been doing some baking with oat flour that I ground myself. So far so good, no one is sick, no one has bathroom issues, which always happens. I think Bob's Red Mill does a good job of keeping gluten out of it's products.

I was really liking oat flour too, until I went off grains entirely. :lol: I wouldn't call it a neutral taste though. I was making oat scones and Scottish bannock bread with the oat flour and they had a wonderful oat flavor.

Ok, tried pancakes this morning using a mix of white sorghum, amaranth, tapioca, potato starch. Awesome. Made a thick batter, didn't dissolve into a runny mass after 5 minutes, held shape on the griddle, great browning, rise equal to wheat. I saved some batter in the fridge and will try it tomorrow morning and see if performance changes overnight.

You can definitely taste the amaranth when using it in equal parts to sorghum. I will probably bring the ratio down to 3/4 sorghum: 1/4 amaranth and try cookies. But in pancakes the nutty taste was quite pleasant.

I like the taste of millet. I would even add some whole because I like the crunchy flavor and texture. My favorite bread pre diagnosis had whole millet on the crust. Too bad I don't currently have a good source.