This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Scoop On gluten-free Mixes With Soy Cc Statements?

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

So I was in the healthfood store today looking for gluten-free cake mix that doesn't contain tapioca. I am also soy allergic and recently had a problem with The Betty Crocker Bisquick, maybe soy related. I found a few mixes with no tapioca but all of them had soy statements-"may contain soy" with no obvious soy ingredients listed.

What's the deal? Are there any soy and tapioca-free mixes that are safe?

Trying to get up the motivation to do some from-scratch baking(soy, tapicoa, sunflower, dairy-free) with completely new recipes for the holidays but it's not happening yet... :( am a bit lacking in time and energy...would love the convenience of a mix...can I throw a pity party?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Have you looked at almond meal or coconut flour recipes? They're pretty simple, usually meal, eggs, shortening, sweetener, and spices so you wouldn't really need a mix. It's a nice change from the crazy 5-flour gluten-free starch recipes.

Open Original Shared Link

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I concur with Slylark. I don't have other intolerances (that I know of) but am already tired of the empty sweets and am eager to try the almond and whole grain stuff. I'm trying to figure out what I want to use. That's the hard part, for sure!

Skylark Collaborator

I'm off grains doing GAPS/SCD so I don't have many options. I don't add much honey to my "sweets" either. I'd recommend starting with blanched almond meal. Bob's Red Mill is nice. The almond meal tastes good to begin with and my baked goods are coming out moist and flavorful. There are lots of almond meal cakes and cookies on the SCD recipes site.

Coconut flour is a little weird to get used to because you use so little flour and so many eggs but I like the results. A bag of coconut flour is expensive but you usually use less than a cup. It soaks up liquid like crazy. I use it with extra-virgin coconut oil to get a noticeable coconut flavor.

Flax meal is has a STRONG nutty flavor. If you bake with much flax you're going to taste it. Flax meal, eggs, and olive oil make a brown bread with a great flavor and texture and lots of nice omega-3s. If you get flax meal, buy small amounts, use it up quickly, and keep it in the refrigerator to preserve the omega-3 oils.

I just made banana bread with flax meal, almond meal, eggs, bananas, vanilla, clove, and coconut oil. It's moist and sweet from the ripe bananas and has a great texture from the flax. It's really funny because I keep thinking I should limit myself to one slice (like you would with starch/sugar banana bread) and then remembering that it is made completely from nourishing foods with no "empty" calories. :lol:

missy'smom Collaborator

I was low-carb for 2 years and did bake with almond meal. Then I became allergic, then started having respiratory symptoms...No more nuts for me. Then I was baking with flax but became allergic to that as well :( haven't tried coconut flour but LC things have too many eggs. I am officially not allergic but seem to be intolerant. There's a clear limit how much of a ratio I can handle. With the flax muffins, I would sub extra flax replacer for some of the eggs but can't do flax now...

Skylark Collaborator

Hmmm... It sounds like you need to go on a gut-healing diet like Open Original Shared Link so you stop developing all those allergies and intolerances. GAPS is an extension of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that can be done dairy-free.

If you get intolerant to whatever you eat a lot of, non-mainstream doctors and health practitioners are starting to think it's a sign that food proteins are getting into your bloodstream where they shouldn't be becasue your intestines are "leaky" from inflammation and lack of healthy bacteria to protect them. Your immune system reacts to protect you from foreign material in your blood. Autoimmune diabetes is starting to look like a reaction to dairy proteins in the blood. GAPS and SCD are designed to heal the gut and fix the underlying problem.

missy'smom Collaborator

Yeah, I suspect Leaky Gut too. I am going in for an endoscopy and colonoscopy and lots of biopsies to get us some more info to work with and rule out some things and see if we can come up with a plan to gain some ground. For now I am TRYING to rotate foods, but it's hard and the holdays don't help. Not that I can eat much it's just all the busyness and emotion wearing away at my ability to stick with a plan. Supposed to eat brown rice once in 4 days but end up too often, several days in a row and such.

Just gotta make it through the holidays.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Buy yourself the GAPS book for Christmas. B)

You'll make it through the holidays. I am bracing for a grain-free/dairy-free/soy-free/refined sugar-free Christmas so I know what it's about. Try to focus on companionship and family rather than food. It really helps.

If you have a high-energy day, do some scratch baking and make something that won't make you sick. Otherwise track down a little maple sugar candy or some soy-free chocolate? These look amazing.

Takala Enthusiast

Autoimmune diabetes is starting to look like a reaction to dairy proteins in the blood.

Oh, boy, is that thought going to start freaking the agricultural subsidy industry out soon, or what ? :o

Think of all the antibiotics normal dairy cows are exposed to, and all the possible herbicide and insecticide residues.

One of the most exasperating things I have seen happen in the past 2 years is the so far successful assault on the organic ag community by the chemical and GMO lobbyists, involving the permitting of genetically modified foodstuffs to be grown, which will make it very hard to avoid feeding GMO alfalfa and beet pulp to farm animals in the future, pending court appeals outcomes. There was also an organic division of advice givers in the Federal Agricultural division USDA, and its databank which funded ag extension services, which fell the victim of deliberate budget axing for the sake of ideology. Most of this goes on without the general public noticing, because one has to search the information out on obscure news blogs to find it.

missy'smom Collaborator

I am allergic to chocolate too...:( used to eat dairy-free soy free chocolate...

Yeah, maybe I will get a miraculous window of opportunity when I have time and energy...you never know, it does happen.

It's been high-school application peroid and I am prepping for a hospital visit for a proceedure soon in January so I am feeling overwhelmed and mentally worn out...

I saw a number of studies on the casein T1 connection last year. I am casein allergic, was my whole life but not officially confirmed until about 2 yrs ago. My mom was told when I was a baby that I was so she just didn't give it to me in a glass. LOL sad but true. I consumed it most of my life with on and off and varying symptoms. Irregardless of symptoms, it ratchets my BG up a whole good notch if I consume it. Very clear the autoimmune BG connection with me now that I test and know my BG well. No more for me forever. Makes a person wonder... that plus gluten-lots of studies on the wheat T1 connection as well.

Somehow need to heal this gut, you'd think 5 yrs? gluten-free would be enough! but I was undx at least 10 yrs. so...

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks guys, by the way, for listening and offering support :)

Skylark Collaborator

I know exactly how you feel. I went off gluten in 2005, was able to eat dairy and soy again in 2006. I started feeling bad last year and it seems I am dairy intolerant again and trying to figure out what other foods are leaving me foggy and fatigued. I've eliminated most soy (still a little in my fish oil), grains, dairy, and am working on nightshades. I suspect a round of antibiotics messed me up. This gut-healing thing is an ongoing process and it's not any fun. Gluten-free just isn't enough. :(

Archived