sa1937

Why Gluten-Free Diets Are Not Welcome Chez Martha Stewart

Rate this topic

Why gluten-free diets are not welcome chez Martha Stewart

As for allergies, her line is equally unambivalent.

article-2074302-0F30995400000578-526_233x298.jpg Martha's Entertaining: A year of Celebrations is published by Clarkson Potter and is out now

'Oh my God! Don't ask! My rule is do not ask about dietary restrictions,' she says, clearly averse to making an extra effort for certain guests.

'We had a charity dinner - we had every single kind of restriction. It was horrible!' she recalls to the newspaper.

The cooking maestro, seemingly so welcoming and in control, does make one minor concession.

'You have to be semi-prepared,' she says of picky eaters. 'But don't fret about it. Everybody can miss a meal.'

Those with a host of allergies, take note: Sneaking a snack into your handbag may be a good idea before leaving home this Christmas.

Read more here.

Personally I wish her diarrhea ...in the middle of her fancy schmancy dinner party. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Oooh! Several years ago her daughter, Alexis was lashing the gluten free diet. Martha Stewart is not fan in this house and I will NOT buy her products. <_<

• Upvote 1

I hate to say what I said out loud when I read this earlier today, but it rhymes with witch. <_<

What a lovely, compassionate attitude to have, Martha.

She's supposed to be a "gracious hostess"?? :blink:

She's a hack anyway. I never thought anything she did was that spectacular. :P

I sent this to my cousin's wife with celiac disease--her reply was "she belongs behind bars".

My hub's was......um, unprintable... :lol: :lol:

Guess none of us will be going to her house for Christmas...boo hoo.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they are gluten intolerant?

Well, she's coeliac intolerant I guess...

*snort*

Well, she's coeliac intolerant I guess...

darn, you beat me to it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have always been Martha intolerant - she gives me bloating and a migraine :blink:

I have always been Martha intolerant - she gives me bloating and a migraine :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ditto!

B****. Hmm, I always thought that the job of the hostess was to be as gracious as possible. When I host dinners or parties, I find out who is coming and what their needs and preferences are, and then I plan the menu. If I have vegans or vegetarians for a party, there is enough fare for them to be thoroughly nourished. If they're here for a meal, we all eat veg. I enjoy the creativity of planning a meal outside my usual. If there are allergies (like mushrooms or pineapple for one friend), nothing features them, and I make sure to properly clean everything and make any necessary adjustments to ensure their safety. If I can't accommodate (as for a friend with an almond allergy; I cook extensively with almond and right before the last party ended up spilling almond flour all across the kitchen in a big oops and I had no idea what I touched as I cleaned everything up or if I wiped everything enough), I apologize and tell them the situation and ask them to do whatever they need to (she ended up not coming, but not for that reason). I love my friends, and I want them to be happy. If they have special needs, I'll bend over backwards to make sure they're happy in my home, whether that's by cooking appropriate food or suggesting they bring their own.

So when are y'all coming over for a "free" party?

B****. Hmm, I always thought that the job of the hostess was to be as gracious as possible. When I host dinners or parties, I find out who is coming and what their needs and preferences are, and then I plan the menu. If I have vegans or vegetarians for a party, there is enough fare for them to be thoroughly nourished. If they're here for a meal, we all eat veg. I enjoy the creativity of planning a meal outside my usual. If there are allergies (like mushrooms or pineapple for one friend), nothing features them, and I make sure to properly clean everything and make any necessary adjustments to ensure their safety. If I can't accommodate (as for a friend with an almond allergy; I cook extensively with almond and right before the last party ended up spilling almond flour all across the kitchen in a big oops and I had no idea what I touched as I cleaned everything up or if I wiped everything enough), I apologize and tell them the situation and ask them to do whatever they need to (she ended up not coming, but not for that reason). I love my friends, and I want them to be happy. If they have special needs, I'll bend over backwards to make sure they're happy in my home, whether that's by cooking appropriate food or suggesting they bring their own.

So when are y'all coming over for a "free" party?

Tell me when. I'll come!

Ditto on giving the guests what they love/need!!I have always made my friends and family their favorite things for dinner and dessert! That's the best part of cooking for others. :)

This woman comes off as Cruella DeVille. :P

Just to be contrary....

I have a SIL who gives you a list of all the things she is "allergic" to. You work really hard to have most of the foods OK for her, like 2 desserts - 1 with no dairy or eggs one with. She then eats the one I told her has egg & dairy. I make 2 pastas - 1 with cheese on top & one the same just no cheese. I know my mom & 1 kid prefer no cheese so its not a big deal. She eats a big serving of the cheesy one she told me she can't have. then she burps (quietly) and falls asleep at the table. Tho the sleep might be the fact that she had Scotch before she came and several glasses of wine.

I have a kid that is a picky eater. College is making him less picky because he's hungry. I never asked someone not to serve chili because he hates it. I just told him to make due with the cheese, carrots, crackers, etc or eat first.

I'm not sure if she meant that she would never accomadate a friend or have a variety of things to choose from. I think she is getting tired of all the people expecting someone to fix what they want, then the next person says they can't have that, and on & on. You end up serving only water at a big dinner. I hope its the brand from the spring in Sweden that I like or I won't drink it! ;)

LOL..I never liked Martha anyway. She has tons of staff that do everything..then she steps in and takes all of the credit!

Just to be contrary....

I have a SIL who gives you a list of all the things she is "allergic" to. You work really hard to have most of the foods OK for her, like 2 desserts - 1 with no dairy or eggs one with. She then eats the one I told her has egg & dairy. I make 2 pastas - 1 with cheese on top & one the same just no cheese. I know my mom & 1 kid prefer no cheese so its not a big deal. She eats a big serving of the cheesy one she told me she can't have. then she burps (quietly) and falls asleep at the table. Tho the sleep might be the fact that she had Scotch before she came and several glasses of wine.

I have a kid that is a picky eater. College is making him less picky because he's hungry. I never asked someone not to serve chili because he hates it. I just told him to make due with the cheese, carrots, crackers, etc or eat first.

I'm not sure if she meant that she would never accomadate a friend or have a variety of things to choose from. I think she is getting tired of all the people expecting someone to fix what they want, then the next person says they can't have that, and on & on. You end up serving only water at a big dinner. I hope its the brand from the spring in Sweden that I like or I won't drink it! ;)

My ex SIL was like that. Allergic to milk but would gorge on milk-filled food when you made a point of making stuff without it.

I was always confused about that...still am.

My ex SIL was like that. Allergic to milk but would gorge on milk-filled food when you made a point of making stuff without it.

I was always confused about that...still am.

Maybe kind of like the "I'm on a diet, so no dessert for me." ...but now that I've said it, and declared my intentions..I'm scarfing that cake down... mentality.

Me, too. She gives me hives and diarrhea. I never could swallow her condescending tone and nauseating personality. She has always been one of my least-liked celebrity cooks of all time (others including Rachael Ray, Giada de Laurentis, etc. Don't even get me started!)

This newest information aggravates me even more! :angry: She is in a position of authority and like her or not a few people do look up to her. She unfortunately does have somewhat of an influence in the culinary world. What she has said is inflammatory and insulting. The 0.000023% of respect I did have for her has flown out the window.

She can go and jump in a (frozen) lake.

She can go and jump in a (frozen) lake.

From a great height!

:lol:

Next time she goes to dinner as a guest, someone should tell her "Oh, I'm sorry. But we don't have any for you. But it's ok; you can miss a meal," then show her to her chair between two guests who will be eating.

From a great height!

:lol:

Yeah. Oops! :lol:

Well merry Christmas to her as well (please note the heavy sarcasm!)

Well merry Christmas to her as well (please note the heavy sarcasm!)

:lol: :lol: duly noted!!

"How's my homemade tea, Martha? I'm glad you like it. I like to add a touch of poison ivy to give it that nice coloring, but don't worry, I'm not allergic to poison ivy."