carecare

Endoscopies Went Well This Morning.....

Rate this topic

My boys ages 10 and 12 got their endoscopies this morning and handled everything really well. The drs and nursing staff were absolutely wonderful. Only a couple minor things like they couldn't get the IV started in my 12 yr old son's hand so they went to the other hand. Nice battle bruise to show for it. Then after the procedure my 10 yr old was in recovery and ready to get dressed so Dad left him alone. While he was getting dressed husband comes out and I go in in a few minutes to my son crying because he had peed his pants :( poor boys! He's never had an accident in his life...well after he'd been potty trained at the age of 2 1/2. He said he was getting dressed and was dressed but then had to go so bad and didn't know what to do...and he couldn't hold it. I'm not sure if that's a reaction to any anesthesia or what but it was pretty tramatic for him. He got some new scrubs though to wear home and now can used them as a pair of pj's which is pretty cool. I washed everything when we got home and he wore the blue scrubs to bed. :)

Now to wait a week for the results. Mine were negative on blood and biopsy. I'm still going gluten free though...and will be from tomorrow on out!!!

It sounds as though your two boys handled this event with maturity--bravo! I'm so glad that they were both amenable to such an invasive exam...and I hope that the results will help you set a course that will keep them healthy (sounds as though you plan to do just that).

As for the "wee" little problem, it was probably because saline had been dripping into his arm during the entire procedure, filling his bladder, so that he really did feel an urgency to go immediately.

It sounds as though your two boys handled this event with maturity--bravo! I'm so glad that they were both amenable to such an invasive exam...and I hope that the results will help you set a course that will keep them healthy (sounds as though you plan to do just that).

As for the "wee" little problem, it was probably because saline had been dripping into his arm during the entire procedure, filling his bladder, so that he really did feel an urgency to go immediately.

yes, and the anesthesia also clouds judgement right after, so he probably couldn't recognize any earlier that he had to go, and couldn't really do the problem-solving to figure out what to do.

My daughter responded the same way (without the accident) but really acted goofy for about an hour after waking up.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. This is so common in people who have had anesthesia. Please tell him it's the meds and the nurses have seen worse. If he really wants to know , I could tell him some " worse".