lynnmb

Teenage Celiac Daughter

Rate this topic

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 18 months ago and has been gluten free as long. She is having continued problems with stomach pain, upper, middle abdomen. Had normal follow up endoscopy/biopsy and normal test for Gall Bladder 3 weeks ago, so it seems that there is no gluten exposure or gall bladder concerns. Any similar experiences out there?. Can low level exposure cause stomach discomfort but still have normal biopsy?

Also, she continues to have problems with sleep, fatigue and feeling disorganized etc. I want so badly for my daughter to enjoy her teenage years, and so does she!

Thanks,

Concerned mom

It sounds as though she's eating something that is also sensitive to, such as dairy, soy, corn, etc. Has she tried an elimination diet? Many people on this board are sensitive to dairy (though, luckily, I'm not) or soy, and digestive complaints, pain, and fatigue are most often reported. Many of us are also sensitive to iodine, so you might try switching to non-iodized salt in your home.

I hope she starts feeling better soon!

It sounds as though she's eating something that is also sensitive to, such as dairy, soy, corn, etc. Has she tried an elimination diet? Many people on this board are sensitive to dairy (though, luckily, I'm not) or soy, and digestive complaints, pain, and fatigue are most often reported. Many of us are also sensitive to iodine, so you might try switching to non-iodized salt in your home.

I hope she starts feeling better soon!

I appreciate your reply. In looking around the forum, I did see many posts talking about the elimination diet, so I was starting to wonder about other sensitivities. Anyone know of a good book or resource for the elimination diet?

^ My doctor's office has a detailed elimination diet plan on their website that might be of help to you. When I did it I made a few modifications. Since I was already gluten-free I replaced wheat with soy, I don't eat citrus very often so I replaced that one with nightshades, etc.

http://www.woodmed.com/DietElimRech.htm

You could also try just fruits, vegetables and meats for a couple of days and see if that helps. Sometimes processed foods and grains can be an issue.

• Upvote 1

^ My doctor's office has a detailed elimination diet plan on their website that might be of help to you. When I did it I made a few modifications. Since I was already gluten-free I replaced wheat with soy, I don't eat citrus very often so I replaced that one with nightshades, etc.

http://www.woodmed.com/DietElimRech.htm

Thanks, I am checking it out next!

I had very severe symptoms when I was younger, so my mother bought me different cooking utensils for my food - such as my own toaster, microwave, etc. She also made my school have a separate microwave for me so I could heat up my food without contamination. I never had cafeteria food either because most people do not realize how easily food can be contaminated.