Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

catlover0329

Mother Drives Me Nuts Cooking Gluten Laden Foods

Oh dear, I'm very sorry that happened! And unfortuantely, this proabably won't be the last time something like this happens... you know, there's the people that think it's okay to use white flour instead of wheat flour! :P

But sometimes we are lucky enough to come across people who understand it and are more than willing to accommodate it... it's even better if they do it right! I've had people think that I can eat cookies, but not cookie dough, because "all the gluten bakes out." *headshake*

Once again I'm sorry that happened!

And come on fellow Celiacs, this isn't a place to criticize people or make them feel bad for making an honest mistake... obviously, no one would gluten themselves on purpose. We have all been new to the diet before and probably didn't comprehend quite how serious it was at first... I know I didn't! Let's make this a place where we can vent safely and be BUILT UP by others, not admonished for all the times we are accidentally glutened.

xoxoxo

And come on fellow Celiacs, this isn't a place to criticize people or make them feel bad for making an honest mistake... obviously, no one would gluten themselves on purpose. We have all been new to the diet before and probably didn't comprehend quite how serious it was at first... I know I didn't! Let's make this a place where we can vent safely and be BUILT UP by others, not admonished for all the times we are accidentally glutened.

xoxoxo

Well said, Pirate!! :)

Happy Holidays to you!!

Cheers,

IH

A well-reasoned post, Monael. I, too, try to focus on the cans rather than the cannots, since the cannots can get a bit overwhelming. And a positive attitude beats a negative one any day, as I keep tryhing to tell my SO. :)

here, here!! I couldn't possibly agree more, Shroomie!!

and, frankly, I eat better now than I ever have in my life.

(she said as she scarfed down a homemade pumpkin muffin.... :lol: )

I was craving stollen earlier this month and so went a-goggling! I haven't tried any of these recipes because I also avoid sugars like the plague so I'm trying to find alternatives to powdered sugar, as well as a lower carb option on the flour (I may try coconut flour). But maybe others don't mind carb counts so much, and you could try some of these recipes that I found :)

I hope you feel better soon.

http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com/2009/11/stollen-b.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/wicklewood-rsquo-s-gluten-free-stollen-438323

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/seasonalandholiday/r/Gluten-Free-Mini-Stollen-Loaves-Make-Them-A-Gluten-Free-Holiday-Tradition.htm

I had a long conversation with my mum about how I was going wheat free. She seemed to really get it and was being really supportive saying its good I found out what was causing all the pain and discomfort. Then she promptly asked did I want a slice of toast!!! :P Maybe your mum being old school doesn't quite understand exactly what is happening and how you need her help. Give her a chance. Explain everything to her in detail and give her some writen information. If she still doesn't try just make sure not to eat any of her food xxx Good luck

Right, she did says she was having surgery soon, so maybe she is recovering from that. well, she will have an interesting read when she gets back. I do hope she is feeling better by now.

Can you look at this as a learning experience. We all learn, sometimes the hard way, to never assume something is ok for us. Also in your mom's defense it's a learning time for her too. The first holiday for all of you and it's still a rocky time with learning the ins and outs. As you learn share with her and hopefully by next year you will all be better at this.