Katrala

Stupid Me.. Lucky Me!

Rate this topic

I did a "Holiday Cooking Around the World" class with my students yesterday for an enrichment day. We were making different holiday dishes from different cultures.

I don't have any type of touch reaction from cooking gluten food, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I made sure to eat a big breakfast before I left home, not wanting to eat even my brought lunch at school just because I figured I'd probably have gluten all over me.

So after thinking through all the precautions, I managed to negate them all by being a complete idiot.

Our first dish was Apple Kugel and we were boiling the egg noodles. I was explaining what "al dente" was and, just like I do with my gluten-free pasta at home and what I've always done with pasta, I took a piece out, popped it in my mouth to see if it was al dente yet - and then had them try it to see.

I didn't even think about it until I had swallowed it and thought, "You've GOT to be kidding me!"

I drank a good bit of water and was lucky - no terrible reaction other than my stomach gurgling some throughout the day.

When I first went gluten free I still made gluten-filled food for my husband and daughter. It took so long before I was out of the habit of testing their food as I was cooking it. I'm glad you didn't have a terrible reaction.

I'm so glad you didn't get really sick. I'm 4 months into the gluten-free lifestyle and I am paranoid about making this sort of mistake...being slightly distracted or busy and just popping something in my mouth without really thinking about it!

Happens to the best of us... I call it a brain fart!!!!!

Yes, pasta was the one thing I did that with several times before I managed to get over it. I think the pasta thing is more automatic than anything else I do in the kitchen... I mean, I never automatically added flour to things (I always used cornstarch even before celiac because it doesn't get lumpy like flour does), and I've never tasted my kids sandwiches (and now they make their own anyway), etc. But pasta...well besides tossing the spaghetti against the wall to test for doneness (lol) tasting is the only way I do it.

Now I've finally learned to call someone to taste it for me. :P

I totally understand. We had people over Saturday night and I was putting out crackers and cheese for them. Automatically I went to reach for a cracker to pop in my mouth. I "came to" before I actually grabbed it, but I just started laughing.

While I understand cooking gluten in a classroom, I think those of you who cook it at home for others are real troopers!

Around here I'm the gluten police, and very little walks through the door. And if they want it-THEY COOK IT!!!

But I'm not a nice person, and everyone knows this...

• Upvote 1

Now, now, prickly pear, there are plenty of "nice" people out there who are really passive- aggressive.... :wacko:bless their hearts. ^_^

While I understand cooking gluten in a classroom, I think those of you who cook it at home for others are real troopers!

Around here I'm the gluten police, and very little walks through the door. And if they want it-THEY COOK IT!!!

Oh that was only in the beginning. After my daughter was diagnosed the kitchen went mostly gluten free. (Sometimes I cannot contain my husband) But I will NEVER EVER EVER make something with gluten that neither my daughter or I can eat

I do at home - we have a small section of the kitchen that is gluten-free.

Of course, I don't have any type of reaction from doing so. I learned early on that trying to do both at the same time (and make sure to wash hands in between, even) didn't work, so I had to either eat first or last. Well, that means I eat last when it's just me cooking.

I'm very fortunate in that my husband is an amazing cook and has been very supportive in making gluten-free foods. I only cook on the nights that he works (several times per week, but it's not too bad.) He and the kids still eat gluten, but our family meals are gluten-free and we have everything partitioned off.

I noticed today I was a bit "fuzzier" than normal and had a hard time in the faculty/student basketball game (I'm not normally talented at basketball by any stretch of the imagination, but today was noticeably more difficult.) This could be a reaction or it could just be a simple pure exhaustion from trying to wrap up the last few days of school before the break.

Everything else that they eat is gluten-free, since most foods are naturally gluten-free. But I do cook their pasta, and I do bake regular stuff for them from time to time. But it's always using a mix (I hate to cook or bake, lol) so I'm not dealing with sifting flour, etc. I've never had a reaction from it so I don't mind.

The reason I don't cook gluten free pasta for the rest of them is that it's too expensive! One of my pasta eaters is a teenage boy and if he has a friend over...well there goes a pound for just the two of them. lol..

I have only been diagnosed for about 5 days now, but I am just waiting for this to happen to me. Sorry to hear you didn't feel great afterward! Hope you feel better now!

The first month or so after my diagnosis I had terrible nightmares about accidentally popping a regular cookie in my mouth, I'd wake up in a panic!

Everything else that they eat is gluten-free, since most foods are naturally gluten-free. But I do cook their pasta, and I do bake regular stuff for them from time to time. But it's always using a mix (I hate to cook or bake, lol) so I'm not dealing with sifting flour, etc. I've never had a reaction from it so I don't mind.

The reason I don't cook gluten free pasta for the rest of them is that it's too expensive! One of my pasta eaters is a teenage boy and if he has a friend over...well there goes a pound for just the two of them. lol..

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised when my son liked my gluten-free pasta. But he does eat a lot of it, and you're right it isn't cheap!

I did that a couple of times too. On one memorable occasion I tasted a spoonful of vegetable noodle soup before I gave it to my daughter. Hubby and I were feeding the kids right before we set out on a weekend away so I panicked! I immediately did the only thing I could think to do and induced vomiting.

I don't cook gluten at all. We are lucky enough to have 2 kitchens in our house so we are set up like a kosher house. There is a gluten kitchen downstairs and my gluten free kitchen upstairs. Nothing goes between the two. The only exception is on pasta nights someone else cooks regular pasta downstairs and I cook gluten-free pasta and the sauce upstairs. My youngest son and I serve up our gluten free meals and then the rest of the family scoops their regular pasta downstairs and then comes up to get sauce and eat at the table.

Other than that no gluten comes up. Nothing capable of crumbs is allowed up here.

Hey... it happens! Sounds like just the kind of mistake I would make :P