AVR1962

Baked Goods W/o Xanthan Gum

Rate this topic

Been experimenting and might have finally found something that worked. It has been very hard to get cookies and cakes to turn out without xanthan gum but I haven't been using it because it doesn't set well on my stomach. I made cookies and a cornbread this week tha actualy did well, my cornbread didn't fall apart and the cookies were better. I used the full amount of gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of the wheat flour and then I added not quite a 1/4 cup of cornstarch. I refrigerated the cookie dough for about a half hour and stuck it back in the frig when I wasn't using it. I was really impressed with the cornbread! Thought I'd pass that on incase anyone else was struggling too.

Been experimenting and might have finally found something that worked. It has been very hard to get cookies and cakes to turn out without xanthan gum but I haven't been using it because it doesn't set well on my stomach. I made cookies and a cornbread this week tha actualy did well, my cornbread didn't fall apart and the cookies were better. I used the full amount of gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of the wheat flour and then I added not quite a 1/4 cup of cornstarch. I refrigerated the cookie dough for about a half hour and stuck it back in the frig when I wasn't using it. I was really impressed with the cornbread! Thought I'd pass that on incase anyone else was struggling too.

If you can tolerate guar gum, you can substitute that for xanthum gum and get better results with baked goods. What symptoms do you get from xanthum gum?

Thanks, AVR. I'm fairly new at adjusting recipes and simply don't like what the gums do.... make things gummy!!! There is such a fine line between "enough to do some good at keeping the goods stuck together" and "YUCK" (this stuff is so wet and won't set up right). I'll try the cornstarch. Thanks for the hint. :)

If you can tolerate guar gum, you can substitute that for xanthum gum and get better results with baked goods. What symptoms do you get from xanthum gum?

Xanthan gum upsets my stomach, feels like someone just punched me. Guar gum is even worse....I will get dizzy and have stomach and digestive issues for 3 days so I stay away from all gums.

I so wish for a xanthan gum replacement. I suspect there won't be one for the few of us who can't tolerate it... I am coming to the acceptence that pastry and "dough" anything will not be tolerated.

I've never used xanthan or guar gum. Admittedly I haven't done alot of baking, but I've made slices and cakes without it. Cookies haven't fared too well (currently trying to fix my gingerbread men :P) but I suppose I've used almond meal instead of flour alot?