This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Christmas Shopping Stories

Booghead

Booghead Contributor

I thought about how I've had a hard time Christmas Shopping and thought I wanted to hear your guys stories too.

I am 17 but I dress much more "grown up" then the other girls my age B) Because I am so mature. I actually really belive in comfort (probably because of all the times I haven't felt good and I just want something that fits and doesn't itch). So I shop at Eddie Bauer, I love it and we get the catalogs. We got one this month for their Christmas/Winter stuff. They had "flannel lined Boyfriend Jeans" There is nothing I love more then "stretchy pants", I hate jeans they itch my legs and are too restricting. But these jeans? THEY ARE LIKE HEAVEN IN A PAIR OF JEANS. I wanted them so bad.

We go to the mall and I go to eddie bauer. They have 3 pairs left of the flannel lined jeans, not one in my size actually all of them were atleast 10's. I tell my mother I can "grow" into a ten. She says she doesn't want me to get fatter for a pair of jeans and that we can go to order them online in time for Christmas.

We go home and get online and... NONE. SOLD OUT.

I was hysterical, my jeans my perfect jeans... We call them and ask them when they are going to restock: the answer is never.

So we call 12 eddie bauer stores in Utah and finally get one with a pair in my size, pay for it and they say they will mail it. It's been two weeks and we finally call them: the jeans are lost in the mail. My perfect jeans in my perfect size are not going to make it to my house for my perfect christmas! They say they will try to find them and if not will send another pair.

What funny stories do you guys have on Christmas shopping?

*side note-I also love Eddie Bauer because their clothes fit my little frame so well, I have a hard time finding clothes that look decent on a short person and theirs do, beside that fact that their clothes last a lifetime. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

red island Newbie

I did most of my Christmas shopping in a foggy gluten contaminated haze. I am back to normal now but just about had a bird when I was wrapping the gifts and saw what I had actually bought for friends and family. I am going to put a disclaimer in each package saying "I was not in my right mind when I bought this - please dont dump me cause I gave you a crappy Christmas present!"

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I thought about how I've had a hard time Christmas Shopping and thought I wanted to hear your guys stories too.

I am 17 but I dress much more "grown up" then the other girls my age B) Because I am so mature. I actually really belive in comfort (probably because of all the times I haven't felt good and I just want something that fits and doesn't itch). So I shop at Eddie Bauer, I love it and we get the catalogs. We got one this month for their Christmas/Winter stuff. They had "flannel lined Boyfriend Jeans" There is nothing I love more then "stretchy pants", I hate jeans they itch my legs and are too restricting. But these jeans? THEY ARE LIKE HEAVEN IN A PAIR OF JEANS. I wanted them so bad.

We go to the mall and I go to eddie bauer. They have 3 pairs left of the flannel lined jeans, not one in my size actually all of them were atleast 10's. I tell my mother I can "grow" into a ten. She says she doesn't want me to get fatter for a pair of jeans and that we can go to order them online in time for Christmas.

I was hysterical, my jeans my perfect jeans... We call them and ask them when they are going to restock: the answer is never.

So we call 12 eddie bauer stores in Utah and finally get one with a pair in my size, pay for it and they say they will mail it. It's been two weeks and we finally call them: the jeans are lost in the mail. My perfect jeans in my perfect size are not going to make it to my house for my perfect christmas! They say they will try to find them and if not will send another pair.

*side note-I also love Eddie Bauer because their clothes fit my little frame so well, I have a hard time finding clothes that look decent on a short person and theirs do, beside that fact that their clothes last a lifetime. B)

If they can't find the ones in your size go back and get the ones that are too big then head to your local tailor shop (sometimes found in dry cleaners shops). They will remake them into a size that is just right for you.

kareng Grand Master

Hey Boog!

Have you looked at LL Bean catalog? They have mens, womans, girls & boys sizes. Don't know if you will be near any camping/hunting stores like Cabelas or Bass but they may have them. May find some at a place that sells clothes for people who work outside like construction & farming or horses.

Just a warning.... these jeans are usually very warm in the house.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I second the LL Bean suggestion. Land's End may have them too.

bartfull Rising Star

Christmas shopping stories? Well, I don't have a lot of shopping to do. I have no family but there are a few good friends I shop for. About six months ago, just as I was reaching my nadir, health-wise, and right before I went gluten free, I was invited to a home jewelry party. This company sells silver jewelry, which I am allergic to, but you know how you pretty much HAVE to buy SOMETHING at these home parties? I found the two cheapest items on their RIDICULOUSLY high price list (Most items were between $150 and $500!!!) and bought them as Christmas gifts. Then when they came in, I put them away for later.

You guessed it. I can't find them! They MIGHT be at home somewhere. They Might be here at the shop somewhere. They MIGHT have been thrown away.

This morning I went Christmas shopping for those two friends...they are getting plants!

Jestgar Rising Star

I buy everything I need to survive before the second week of December, and then don't leave my house until after Christmas. :) I can't deal with crowds......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I buy everything I need to survive before the second week of December, and then don't leave my house until after Christmas. :) I can't deal with crowds......

Ditto. I am a no-mall girl.

The UPS guy and I are on a first- name basis. In fact, Eddie was just here.

If it can be purchased online, that's the perfect gift. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I did most of my Christmas shopping in a foggy gluten contaminated haze. I am back to normal now but just about had a bird when I was wrapping the gifts and saw what I had actually bought for friends and family. I am going to put a disclaimer in each package saying "I was not in my right mind when I bought this - please dont dump me cause I gave you a crappy Christmas present!"

:lol:

Oh yes.

Having lived with scary "Gluten Head" myself for awhile pre-DX, I can so relate.

I am sure the gifts are fine---unless you purchased chia pets in bulk???

kareng Grand Master

:lol:

Oh yes.

Having lived with scary "Gluten Head" myself for awhile pre-DX, I can so relate.

I am sure the gifts are fine---unless you purchased chia pets in bulk???

Hey! Don't bash Chia pets! They have those ones you grow catnip on! Your kitty might like that!

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey! Don't bash Chia pets! They have those ones you grow catnip on! Your kitty might like that!

Can't do it. She just finished a 28-day rehab stint for catnip.

Bad kitty.

Jestgar Rising Star

Can't do it. She just finished a 28-day rehab stint for catnip.

Bad kitty.

Butchy will body slam Bo to get at the catnip. I thought it didn't work on kittens. :blink:

IrishHeart Veteran

Butchy will body slam Bo to get at the catnip. I thought it didn't work on kittens. :blink:

no, she's 3 ...I just say kitty.

Booghead Contributor

My cats don't react to catnip. I have had 6 cats on my life and not one likes cat nip.

So I figure we don't buy the right kind, I think its probably like marijuana, you have to find the good stuff thats organic. LOL B)

I don't want drugies for my cats, thanks anyway.

Never been to LL Bean but I have heard of it (commercials maybe) I don't think we have one here. My grandmother has all of us over at her house on Christmas eve. She has 5 living children and all are married, we also have my uncle come over (my aunt died of cancer a few years back). All together her children have produced 26 grandkids between the ages of 25ish and the youngest just turned 3. She buys a present for every couple (the parents of the grandkids) and a present for every single grandkid. She did it all online this year and was so happy for amazon. I can't even imagine a bill for 26 presents plus 5 more. Not to mention her presents for my grandpa.

WHEW! And we all jam into her 1800 sq. ft. house to celebrate. It's usually fun, except I have one crazy uncle (doesn't everyone?) who isn't too nice and no one likes to be around him. If we lived in a different state he would be a drinker, but here we don't drink much in the way of booze (that would make christmas much worse, because the relatives are hard enough to deal with when they are sober).

I honestly am glad none of us drink, I have a cousin who always comes and she smokes (the blacksheep of the family) and I can't even sit by her.

Nothing against smokers, but you CANNOT cover up that smell no matter how much cheap perfume you put on. I am very sheltered from alcohol and cigarettes where I live, so that is something to be grateful for. But when I do encounter it, i tend too notice it much more then someone who is around it all the time.

Lets just hope we can all enjoy our christmas with our disfunctional families and friends! B) Also have a good time without getting glutened. ;)

kareng Grand Master

L L Bean is on- line

Open Original Shared Link

love2travel Mentor

Crowds are truly not my thing, either. I do almost all my Christmas shopping in January when the sales are on but after the crowds have disappeared. Eleven months early but it sure feels great! I am a very precise and careful shopper and am not satisfied until I find that perfect such-and-such item - things that most wouldn't think of so people have absolutely no idea what they are getting. They just cannot possibly guess. In fact, people call me to ask what they should get so and so. Why am I not making a commission on this??!! :P

Having said that I often make glorious food gifts, too, such as bourbon vanilla.

alex11602 Collaborator

I don't like going to the store to begin with so around the holidays would definitely not happen. I did all my shopping online again for my girls and husband, I did all the shopping from Walmart online and they have a better variety there then in the store and better deals for some things. My favorite thing that they didn't have in the store, but I found online is a Furreal dog...

Both of my girls wanted a puppy for Christmas and since we live in an apartment they couldn't have one, but I found this Furreal dog named Cookie (which is one of my youngest daughter's favorite things) that actually barks and has a really soft coat. I am giving that to them on Saturday since we always give one gift on Christmas eve.

For my parents I again ordered most of the things online, but these were food gifts. I am packing everything in a box for them and I think I may need to write up directions on how to make some of the things...red rice, sweet thai black rice, black tapioca pearls and chai mix for bubble tea, horseradish mustard and a cranberry balsamic vinaigrette, there will be a few other food things in there also plus homemade candies.

And that would be my favorite gift to give...homemade candy! This year I made pomegranate clusters, candy cane fudge, peanut butter fudge, white chocolate snowflakes and for my husband, girls and me I made chocolate covered cherries.

Anyway I hope that everyone here has a wonderful, happy and healthy holiday!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I forgot my purse yesterday (at home) which makes shopping pretty much impossible. I did have my phone, though...because that's more important (had my list on it).

Sigh.

Be glad when this year is over.,,

bartfull Rising Star

I don't like crowds either. I have lived in the Black Hills for almost eight years now, and the only mall in the Hills is in Rapid City. I have never even BEEN there yet!

That being said, I must admit that as a brick and mortar Mom (no Pop) store owner, I cringe when I hear about all of the online shopping. Go downtown, in whatever town you're in. There won't be crowds because they're all at the mall or Walmart. I promise you that whatever you buy from your local Mom and Pop store, while it may be a bit more expensive, will have the service and backing from the owners that you'll never get from some of those "other" places. And by doing that, you will help them stay in business so that next time you need to buy something in a hurry and don't have time to wait for it to be shipped, that store will be there for you.

End of rant. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't like crowds either. I have lived in the Black Hills for almost eight years now, and the only mall in the Hills is in Rapid City. I have never even BEEN there yet!

That being said, I must admit that as a brick and mortar Mom (no Pop) store owner, I cringe when I hear about all of the online shopping. Go downtown, in whatever town you're in. There won't be crowds because they're all at the mall or Walmart. I promise you that whatever you buy from your local Mom and Pop store, while it may be a bit more expensive, will have the service and backing from the owners that you'll never get from some of those "other" places. And by doing that, you will help them stay in business so that next time you need to buy something in a hurry and don't have time to wait for it to be shipped, that store will be there for you.

End of rant. :)

I agree completely. Plus there is something about walking around my small cities downtown area and looking at the decorations in the shop windows that just makes it seem more like Christmas than fighting the crowds at the malls or sitting behind my computer. You get to actually touch and hold the items and talk with the clerks and maybe even give a smile to another shopper and get one in return.

Archived