This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hormone Balancing

CR5442

YoloGx Rookie

Hey Bea, I'll take a good look at the things i'm sensitive to. You may be right, but it doesn't explain why I can tolerate the herbs so well.... Hmmm! Anyway, the good news is that Izzy seems to have turned a corner this evening (touch wood) and Hugo is now in bed hopefully to wake up later with no fever. Hugo seems to get things much worse than all of us. They are on pretty much gluten free - the occassional thing turns up when we go out that isn't, but I think my family are fairly happy to accept that I'm so much better without it, therefore it is likely that the children will be too!

We now have a houseful for New Years. What do you have planned?!

Hi Caroline,

I am glad to hear that your kids are starting to feel better!

So far I think I will have a quiet New Years this year. We had a big Thanksgiving and then spent Christmas with a friend. I am still recovering from this gall bladder thing so do not want to do anything big. We are also building a shed--so that may be what we will be focused on... assuming I am up to the task.

Ironically I tolerated most herbs well for years. It took a long time I think for the salicylates to really build up. I also was taking antidotes too all along of course (as it turns out in retrospect)--in the dandelion, oregon grape root and garlic. I never did favor the mints for that long at a stretch. It did not occur to me that when I did drink them a lot it made me sleep far less well...

What did me in I think was a long stretch wherein I took all kinds of strong herbs including chapparal to kill off an intractible infection probably (in retrospect) from a tick bite. The herbs helped but the fever and congestion kept coming back. I had it for 5 or 6 months! My AMA doctors at Kaiser would not help me. They said it was not bacterial. They did not check on microbial. Unfortunately I failed to mention the tick bite. I just did not realize its significance.

Finally I took two courses of antibiotics (from my dentist--I thought perhaps my difficulties were from an infected tooth perhaps--and he insisted on the antibiotics before he'd remove the tooth). The antibiotics did the trick--and actually were of the kind I likely needed for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (if that is indeed what I had). They just happend to be the one kind of antibiotic I can safely tolerate.

However soon after that I got the psoriasis and more severe nerve and thus sleep difficulties -- which is now alleviated by going off medium to high salicylates and taking frequent epsom salt baths plus MSM etc. as well as the dandelion, and alternating the oregon grape and barberry... All of which is making it so I can finally tolerate eating peeled golden delicious apples and peeled pears--necessary for my liver and gall bladder health.

Seems that the acupressure is helping big time too. The same also for my friend Graeme. He says his symptoms are 70% better today from my one exploratory acupressure treatment of him yesterday!

I think energy therapy of various kinds is a better way for some of us to go, though the herbs (if they are the proper ones) definitely help too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Hi Caroline,

Hope you and your kids had a wonderful, healthy New Year celebration with your gathering of friends and folks.

My boyfriend Chris and I actually went to a party yesterday--an art closing a friend of ours had as well as a New Years Day celebration. Chris played music with some other folks and I read poems afterward. I also did a line drawing I may use as a basis for a larger painting later on.

Mainly we had a quiet New Years weekend. I unfortunately got glutened cleaning out behind the seat of my work truck on Thursday. My truck had a flat tire and I was looking for the car jack. Afterwards we got started on the shed. Awful D on Friday and then later a migraine on Saturday! I am still recovering my energy today--as is Chris, nursing a slight sore throat. Chris's sore throat seems to be rapidly going away from eating chicken veggie soup with garlic and ginger and veggies--as well as dandelion, cleaver and nettle tea.

Meanwhile Chris has been investigating more about gluten and other intolerances (soy, milk, corn) in people and animals on the internet. Interesting stuff. Indicates this stuff really isn't that great for anyone, though fermentation can improve it greatly. We looked up about gluten intolerance and gall bladder and came up with all kinds of stuff, including information on the nervous system by way of the whole excito-toxin point of view.

Next I want him to look it up from the hormonal balancing point of view. I come at it from an herbal angle and he recalls his old classes in physiology. Pretty interesting stuff. If you'd like I'll post you some of the sites he came up with.

CR5442 Contributor

Hi Caroline,

Hope you and your kids had a wonderful, healthy New Year celebration with your gathering of friends and folks.

My boyfriend Chris and I actually went to a party yesterday--an art closing a friend of ours had as well as a New Years Day celebration. Chris played music with some other folks and I read poems afterward. I also did a line drawing I may use as a basis for a larger painting later on.

Mainly we had a quiet New Years weekend. I unfortunately got glutened cleaning out behind the seat of my work truck on Thursday. My truck had a flat tire and I was looking for the car jack. Afterwards we got started on the shed. Awful D on Friday and then later a migraine on Saturday! I am still recovering my energy today--as is Chris, nursing a slight sore throat. Chris's sore throat seems to be rapidly going away from eating chicken veggie soup with garlic and ginger and veggies--as well as dandelion, cleaver and nettle tea.

Meanwhile Chris has been investigating more about gluten and other intolerances (soy, milk, corn) in people and animals on the internet. Interesting stuff. Indicates this stuff really isn't that great for anyone, though fermentation can improve it greatly. We looked up about gluten intolerance and gall bladder and came up with all kinds of stuff, including information on the nervous system by way of the whole excito-toxin point of view.

Next I want him to look it up from the hormonal balancing point of view. I come at it from an herbal angle and he recalls his old classes in physiology. Pretty interesting stuff. If you'd like I'll post you some of the sites he came up with.

Hey Bea, so glad you had a good New Year, not great about the glutening though! Hope you are feeling better. We eventually had the family over... my stepmom, two of my brothers (there are five by marriage!), one girlfriend, and three neighbours. We had a hoot playing Operation... not sure if you have that in the US. It's a kids game but is quite funny after a few glasses of wine. My brother also made us eat 12 grapes along with the 12 strokes of big ben at midnight. So instead of hugging each other we were trying to stuff grapes in to our mouths. Hilarious!

Really interesting on the research. Yes, I would be very interested to get some links. The excito-toxin angle is particularly interesting. Anything that throws hormones out of balance has to be bad! I think I might go grab some nettle today too as I also have a sore throat - again.

My son Hugo has been really very poorly with flu. We all had it but Izzy and I seemed to recover quite quickly where Hugo has an awful gag reflex and had a poorly tummy too. So every time he coughs alot he throws up. It's definitely getting better but it has been a real worry. He is only two. But thankfully he has a good amount of padding (well, not now!). I used Garlic compresses on his feet for two days and some camomile homeopathic powder to help the fever and the coughing. Seems to help apart from when he is well in to a coughing fit! Obviously had to use some paracetamol and nurofen to make sure his fever didn't get higher than 39.5 degrees (that's about 102.2). Quite scary whilst the fever was here but now that has gone I know he is winning the battle. Now to get him stronger so that he can start moving around again.

Archived