Scott Adams

Some 'low-gluten' beer contains high levels of gluten - EurekAlert (press release)

Rate this topic

Some 'low-gluten' beer contains high levels of gluten

EurekAlert (press release)

Beer tested in a new study, including some brands labeled "low-gluten," contains levels of hordein, the form of gluten present in barley, that could cause symptoms in patients with celiac disease (celiac disease), the autoimmune condition treated with a life-long ...

and more »

View the full article

Well, crap....

You made me laugh out loud. :)

It says that 8 Gluten Free beers tested had no gluten. Only the low gluten beers had gluten. I wouldn't touch low gluten beer anyway.

Charlotte

It says that 8 Gluten Free beers tested had no gluten. Only the low gluten beers had gluten. I wouldn't touch low gluten beer anyway.

Charlotte

Exactly what I was going to say! There are some beers made with barley that the gluten is supposedly processed out of. I don't bother with those.

Exactly what I was going to say! There are some beers made with barley that the gluten is supposedly processed out of. I don't bother with those.

I just hate anything out there that's "gluten-free" to not be. Especially beer, because I'm very likely NOT going to be in my sober mind when I decide to drink it.

Am I missing something? I found the full text of the article but can't find the list of the beers they actually tested. Anyone else found the list?

Am I missing something? I found the full text of the article but can't find the list of the beers they actually tested. Anyone else found the list?

You'd probably find it in the original publication.

I would put it in italics but I'm on the phone...

The study, which weighs in on a controversy over the gluten content of beer, appears in ACS' Journal of Proteome Research.

You'd probably find it in the original publication.

I would put it in italics but I'm on the phone...

The study, which weighs in on a controversy over the gluten content of beer, appears in ACS' Journal of Proteome Research.

Not in the original as published online.

http://pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/presspac/full/10.1021/pr2008434

The best I can find is this numerical list, but it doesn't identify which beers the numbers refer to.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/pr2008434/suppl_file/pr2008434_si_002.pdf

What great timing! I was just at the store today and looked at gluten-free beers. I don't recall seeing any that said 'low-gluten', but now I know that I can ignore that if I ever see it! I'm also leery of hard cider if it doesn't specifically say it's gluten-free. I did get some Red Bridge, it was the last expensive of the 3 available. I tried a couple (saving the rest to bring to my bro's on Christmas), and it wasn't bad.

Charlotte

Agreed! I don't touch anything that says "low gluten." We drink Red Bridge, well... I don't like beer, so just my boyfriend drinks it really. :D He seems to like it well enough.

That explains a lot... I've had severe reactions to some brands that were officially labeled as gluten-free. They used barley malt. The only exception to that is Estrella Daura, which is filtered to take proteins out. This is my favourite beer now. There are some brands that use sorghum or quinoa, but I find the taste too different from regular beer.

My wife's chiropractor suggested we try the Estrella Damm Daura. It tasted pretty good, like normal beer but be aware the fine print reads that it contains up to 6 ppm gluten... Wine is still the safer bet...

• Upvote 1

My wife's chiropractor suggested we try the Estrella Damm Daura. It tasted pretty good, like normal beer but be aware the fine print reads that it contains up to 6 ppm gluten... Wine is still the safer bet...

6 ppm is more than 3 times under the new legal limit for gluten-free here in Europe. The new legal limit is 20 ppm instead of 200 and for most coeliacs this is very safe.

I consider myself to be sensitive, as I can't handle wheat starch under the 20 ppm limit, but I've never had a reaction to this one.

I guess we are lucky ones as I have not noticed a reaction either; just a caution for those who are super-sensitive...