researchmomma

gluten-free For 10 Days, Good But Then Bad Day

Rate this topic

My daughter went gluten-free 10 days ago. We did great but then she had a meal last night that wasn't whole foods which we have been trying to stick to. We went out to Pei Wei and she had the gluten free meal. My friend with a child that has Celiac goes there with no problems and he is super sensitive to gluten so we think that was not the culprit. I am not sure her rxn was gluten related but more just a "down' day in the ups and downs of going gluten-free?

Any thoughts? She ate 3 bites of PeiWeis gluten-free shrimp dish and said it made her stomach hurt and she was miserable all night.

Have your kids had slumps in the first few weeks?

Thanks!

My daughter went gluten-free 10 days ago. We did great but then she had a meal last night that wasn't whole foods which we have been trying to stick to. We went out to Pei Wei and she had the gluten free meal. My friend with a child that has Celiac goes there with no problems and he is super sensitive to gluten so we think that was not the culprit. I am not sure her rxn was gluten related but more just a "down' day in the ups and downs of going gluten-free?

Any thoughts? She ate 3 bites of PeiWeis gluten-free shrimp dish and said it made her stomach hurt and she was miserable all night.

Have your kids had slumps in the first few weeks?

Thanks!

Ten days is so new to the gluten-free diet that anyone could have a reaction from eating something richer or just eating out that has absolutely nothing to do with a gluten hit. It may seem that a person is healing well after only 10 days but it takes a longish amount of time for the gut to heal. Be patient, but don't necessarily hold back and just give your daughter a whole foods diet unless she is OK with that. I ate certified gluten-free bread right away and did fine. As long as you choose certified stuff in the beginning, she should be alright, unless she has another food intolerance or allergy. She may have ingested some gluten but you just don't know as she is so new to the diet. This is normal for starters so keep track of things but don't get overly worried.

Ten days is so new to the gluten-free diet that anyone could have a reaction from eating something richer or just eating out that has absolutely nothing to do with a gluten hit. It may seem that a person is healing well after only 10 days but it takes a longish amount of time for the gut to heal. Be patient, but don't necessarily hold back and just give your daughter a whole foods diet unless she is OK with that. I ate certified gluten-free bread right away and did fine. As long as you choose certified stuff in the beginning, she should be alright, unless she has another food intolerance or allergy. She may have ingested some gluten but you just don't know as she is so new to the diet. This is normal for starters so keep track of things but don't get overly worried.

Thank you! Meal times are absolutely painful. I feel like we are on eggshells.

Thank you! Meal times are absolutely painful. I feel like we are on eggshells.

C'mon now, Momma...what have we discussed so much the past 10 days?? :)

That's right. It's a steady, slow road.

Listen to my friend GEMINI here--she speaks the truth. She was/is my mentor from day 1--when I had symptoms galore and still felt wonky after MONTHS. She told me be patient.

Does J always eat shirmp, hon? Could have been spicy, could have been MSG, blah blah blah. Eating out can be tricky and one celiac's experience is not the same as another. I mean, I am uber-careful & I got whacked from CC last week. :rolleyes: It happens.

This is a glitch, nothing more.

You know, we all still get wonky tums--and it is not from gluten.

Don't get all scared on me now, kiddo--you're a trooper and you're an amazing MOM. PM me if you need me.

C'mon now, Momma...what have we discussed so much the past 10 days?? :)

That's right. It's a steady, slow road.

Listen to my friend GEMINI here--she speaks the truth. She was/is my mentor from day 1--when I had symptoms galore and still felt wonky after MONTHS. She told me be patient.

Does J always eat shirmp, hon? Could have been spicy, could have been MSG, blah blah blah. Eating out can be tricky and one celiac's experience is not the same as another. I mean, I am uber-careful & I got whacked from CC last week. :rolleyes: It happens.

This is a glitch, nothing more.

You know, we all still get wonky tums--and it is not from gluten.

Don't get all scared on me now, kiddo--you're a trooper and you're an amazing MOM. PM me if you need me.

lol! I know you are right.

My dog had surgery about 4 days before we went gluten free. He has been wearing that damn cone so he can't get through his doggy door and I am up every night at least twice to let him out. I haven't had a good nights sleep in 2 weeks. I am averaging about 4 hours per night and trying to work and get my kid healthy. Then to top it off my son got the stomach flu this week.

I am going to chalk up my emotions this week to lack of sleep. I am truly exhausted.

Oh! and J had been with my mom who gave her five candy canes and let her have two hot chocolates all in one day. Then we went to Pei Wei when I picked her up and that gluten-free meal turned out to be sweet. I think she was sugar loaded. Your post to me on the other thread said to avoid sugar. Well that didn't happen! We talked about it last night. You will laugh. I told her that a friend on the celiac forum said to avoid sugar while we making the transition. She said "what's your friend's name?". She thought I was making it up. Too funny.

She is on culturelle as well. Hopefully she starts seeing some improvement.

I am impressed by her friends and their willingness to help her. When she is over at their houses, they read ingredients and look online to see if items are gluten-free. If they can't find the info, they text me. Nice eh?

Back to whole foods and no eating out if it can be helped until I get the girl healthy.

I think my mind started playing the "maybe it isn't gluten trick". She hadn't had that reaction since we took her off and it was a bad one.

Thank you, thank you for all of the help.

Then to top it off my son got the stomach flu this week.

Oh! and J had been with my mom who gave her five candy canes and let her have two hot chocolates all in one day. Then we went to Pei Wei when I picked her up and that gluten-free meal turned out to be sweet.

I am impressed by her friends and their willingness to help her. When she is over at their houses, they read ingredients and look online to see if items are gluten-free. If they can't find the info, they text me. Nice eh?

Well, see the more you tell us, the more we can speculate on what the heck happened!

J. could have some flu symptoms.

um, 5 candy canes and hot chocolate? and were they all gluten free?? (yes, those can have gluten in them)

Too much sugar can give ANY of us a stomach ache. Our guts are not equipped to digest that much at once. You should see me after a few chocolate chip cookies.... :blink: agitated and racy.

Friends are VERY nice to check labels for her :) and thank God they text you....watch for too much MSG and hidden gluten. It may be best to equip J. with a tote bag of safe snacks. (fruits, nuts, chips, cookies, candy--- if she wants)

You see, it's not about being "paranoid" about it ...but it is true that the more food you put in the mix, the less control factor you have to watch the effects on her and then, it is so easy for hubs or her to say, "see she feels crappy, so it's not gluten exclusion!!" because that may just not be true.

Sorry about the dog (hate those cones--we always said our Gracie looked like she was wearing a lampshade and I called her "the life of the party" :lol: )

and yes, all that stress is hard on you. This is why I said Take care of Momma, too! ;)

Well, see the more you tell us, the more we can speculate on what the heck happened!

J. could have some flu symptoms.

um, 5 candy canes and hot chocolate? and were they all gluten free?? (yes, those can have gluten in them)

Too much sugar can give ANY of us a stomach ache. Our guts are not equipped to digest that much at once. You should see me after a few chocolate chip cookies.... :blink: agitated and racy.

Friends are VERY nice to check labels for her :) and thank God they text you....watch for too much MSG and hidden gluten. It may be best to equip J. with a tote bag of safe snacks. (fruits, nuts, chips, cookies, candy--- if she wants)

You see, it's not about being "paranoid" about it ...but it is true that the more food you put in the mix, the less control factor you have to watch the effects on her and then, it is so easy for hubs or her to say, "see she feels crappy, so it's not gluten exclusion!!" because that may just not be true.

Sorry about the dog (hate those cones--we always said our Gracie looked like she was wearing a lampshade and I called her "the life of the party" :lol: )

and yes, all that stress is hard on you. This is why I said Take care of Momma, too! ;)

Life of the party! Exactly. He is bumping into walls with it and my legs....he is so tired of it! Me too! :P

Grandma did well with the gluten-free thing. My Mom is a super healthy eater and she had Jordan on a whole food diet for the two days she was there. She took bought gluten-free pasta and they had meats and veggies. However, I think she went a litte nuts on the candy! The candy canes were Bobs and the hot chocolate Nestle gluten free. So that was good. I don't think she was glutened. It think she was sugared up and beyond. Add to that the sprite with dinner. Holy Smokes!

I like the idea of a "snack bag" at her friends. The mom's of her to besties are on board and have been asking me what they can give her. So maybe I will make up a Jordan snack bag for each household.

After Christmas, I plan to chill out for a bit. I can't wait.

Wine and a bath will be calling my name!

Life of the party! Exactly. He is bumping into walls with it and my legs....he is so tired of it! Me too! :P

Grandma did well with the gluten-free thing. My Mom is a super healthy eater and she had Jordan on a whole food diet for the two days she was there. She took bought gluten-free pasta and they had meats and veggies. However, I think she went a litte nuts on the candy! The candy canes were Bobs and the hot chocolate Nestle gluten free. So that was good. I don't think she was glutened. It think she was sugared up and beyond. Add to that the sprite with dinner. Holy Smokes!

I like the idea of a "snack bag" at her friends. The mom's of her to besties are on board and have been asking me what they can give her. So maybe I will make up a Jordan snack bag for each household.

After Christmas, I plan to chill out for a bit. I can't wait.

Wine and a bath will be calling my name!

Sugar can do it, plus you said ....there's the flu in your house.

Anything can make for a wonky tum. I have one now and I haven't had gluten or sugar. :blink: I confess, I ate an outrageous mac and cheese at the gluten-free cafe near me and frankly, I was a pig about it:)

Glad you like the snack bag idea!!!. And you can provide enough for her besties, too--chips, goodies--no need to make them "only J's"--that way J will not feel isolated. :)

Glad you agree--time for Mommy. Bath, then wine,but not IN the tub---you could fall asleep and drown in there and I'd feel really bad... :lol:

((hugs)) you've had a rough 2 weeks!