This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cardamon As A "cure" For Cd?

Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nogluten- Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...no way. ;)

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't think so.

richard

nettiebeads Apprentice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the most it could relieve the symptoms, but not cure. I'm sure the celiac disease will still be damaging the intestines.

Merika Contributor

Fascinating. I'm sure they don't mean "cure" but rather "treatment" for symptoms. It seems to aid in digestion, especially of fats, which celiacs do have trouble with. I might just try sprinkling some on my cereal tomorrow :)

I LOVE cardamom and since I stopped eating Indian food and spiced breads, haven't figured out what to put it in....

Merika

skbird Contributor

You can still use it in lassis - also I made coconut jasmine rice recently - jasmine rice with coconut milk and turmeric, and I put cardamon in it, too. It was great!

Stephanie

Jnkmnky Collaborator

It's not that I thougth it was actually a "cure"....it's more that I saw it listed as an actual * cure *. Once I saw that, I typed it in and googled it and it came up countless times as a CURE. :o Shocking. I'd never seen that before and was surprised it could be stated so matter of factly that it is a "cure".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I didn't figure that you actually believed it's a cure. It is amazing they could just baldly say that.

richard

Merika Contributor

Yes, I figured you were experienced enough to know it wasn't a "cure" ;-)

And Stephanie, oh it makes me so sad, but coconut milk seems to be too rich for me to digest right now :( It's sounds soooooo yummy.

Merika

nettiebeads Apprentice
Yes, I figured you were experienced enough to know it wasn't a "cure" ;-)

And Stephanie, oh it makes me so sad, but coconut milk seems to be too rich for me to digest right now  :(  It's sounds soooooo yummy.

Merika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how about coconut extract? You could get the taste, but not the consistancy.

meganlatebird Newbie

Some time ago, before I knew I had a problem with gluten, I took a digestive tonic that had cardamom in it and it seemed really helpful--but it was in a grain alcohol extract. I wouldn't dare take it now, but cardamom sprinkled on food sounds good--I'd be careful of sprinkling it on cereal though. Wonder what kind of cereal those kids are eating?

Speaking of the chinese--it is the chinese who used the cardamom for celiac--I've read that traditional chinese doctors take a very different approach to gluten intolerance than we do--and they often use wheat and/or barley as a cure for those who have digestive problems, so beware of chinese herbal remedies uless you know all the ingredients firsthand.

meganlatebird

nogluten- Newbie

The acupuncturist I see told me to drink fennel seed tea to help with digestion. It really does seem to help.

pattyanne Newbie

I love cardamom (as did my mom, she used it in alot of baking). I use it as I would cinnamon or ginger (ie sweet spices) I love it in custards and rice pudding. I drink ginger tea, I wonder what a sprinkle of ground cardamom would add. mmmmm think I'll have to try it.

aikiducky Apprentice

I was glutened last week, and thought I'd try if cardamom really helps. So I've been adding some to my tea ever since. It does make for a delicious tea, mmm. :P

I think it actually calmed my tummy a little bit. I had less nausea and cramps than usual. I'm going to try it again the inevitable next time...

Pauliina

Archived