CarolinaKip

Mexican Recipes

Rate this topic

I'm looking for some yummy mexican reciepes beyond nachos and tacos. Anyone have some they can suggest? I cannot have tomato, so that limits me some. Thanks!

Okay, there are probably many good Mexican food recipes, but my favorite is one that, while traditional, is probably not recognized as a Mexican recipe. However, I found it in a traditional book of Mexican recipes, and it has always been a favorite for company. It's called Chicken in Orange Sauce, and it is WAY easy to make.

10-12 chicken tenders or four half-breasts of boneless chicken cut up into chunks

Salt and pepper to taste

Ground cinnamon to taste

Ground cloves to taste

Olive oil for saut

Enchiladas are yummy. You can find canned enchilada sauce in grocery stores. I soften the tortillas by dipping them in enchilada sauce that I have heated up in a pan. Then put shredded chicken or beef, or just cheese if you want and roll them up. Put them in a baking pan, then pour any left over enchilada sauce on top, top with cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Refried beans are good too. Mexican rice is easy to make and adds a lot of flavor to any meal.

You can also make taquitos, by softening the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds, rolling some shredded meat inside, then frying until crisp. Be sure to secure with a toothpick before frying, then remove it afterwards. Serve with sour cream and guacamole.

Also, ceviche, chile verde, chorizo and eggs, steak ranchera. I love mexican food and make it several times a week. Check out this website, he has some nice recipes for mexican food. Recipes

Thanks, I added the website to my favorites. I already see one I'm making next week.

I don't know if you can get these locally, but our local grocery stores carry XOCCHiTL corn chips. They're hot and spicy, super thin & gluten-free. They're in a brown bag with a little cellophane window in the front. You hit on a favorite topic of mine because I couldn't tolerate corn for quite awhile, and I'm really happy to add corn and dairy back into our diet.

Anyway, we had a great meal tonight and it was simple. I tossed a layer of the corn chips (they're super thin) on a plate, crumbled cheese on top (I used Mexican queso or crumbling cheese, some smoked chicked (because I had it, but left-over rotisserie would have worked, or any other left over protein. I made guacamole with an avacado, some lime juice and a chopped plum tomato. The queso cheese isn't that tasty, so I was going to shred some sharp cheddar, but that would have involved opening a new package of cheese. So I just dumped some feta cheese on there and nuked it briefly.

Toss 1/3 of a can (preheated) black or other beans on after microwaving. Serve with salsa and guacamole.

Loved it, filled us up, used up leftovers, would have been better if I had carmelized some oneion and sauted some pepper, but for a quick put together meal it was great, and satisfied the desire for a Mexican meal. (Actually, my desire was for a quick meal without hassle, so it worked in reverse.) :D

All sorts of yummy stuff from enchiladas (with non-tomato sauces) to sopes to chicken mole to stuffed poblanos to corn tortillas to tamales to poblano soup.

One of the very top Mexican chefs in the US (Chicago) has great authentic recipes on his website. They are what I use most. You have likely heard of him - his name is Rick Bayless.

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/category?categoryID=11

:)Thanks for the great link Lovetotravel! I saved it. Are you ok with dairy again?

:)Thanks for the great link Lovetotravel! I saved it. Are you ok with dairy again?

You are welcome! Bayless is revered and world renowned when it comes to Mexican.

I tried several cheeses while in Croatia and Italy a month ago and was fine. However, here I am limited but at least I can have aged cheeses and sheep cheese. Still cannot drink milk or eat ice cream but I have excellent alternatives! :D