Austin Guy

Spring Valley Vitamin E Labeling Problem

Rate this topic

I just posted this in another area, but should have shared it here.

I've been feeling unwell for a few weeks and trying to find the cause has been killing me, but I think I finally have it. I reread labels on all supplements. The Spring Valley Vitamin E I started on a little while does not list soy as an ingredient, but it is not mentioned along with the things it is free of: gluten, salt, sugar, artificial color or flavor, starch, wheat or lactose.

That got me suspicious so I went to the manufacturer’s website and found that it contains soybean oil, but the U.S. labeling laws don’t require it to be disclosed because it is not considered to be an allergen. Well I know exactly what even small amounts of soy do to me so it definitely is a problem food. What a load of garbage!

I have a feeling that I will feel a lot better tomorrow when I get it all out of my system. I'm 7 months into being free of gluten, soy and a host of other things and I am still learning the hard way.

I'm not saying that you aren't reacting to it but there is a reason for it to be labeled as such. The majority of people with actual soy allergies CAN tolerate soy oil because of how highly refined it is. I believe the number to be in the 97-98% that can tolerate it. Just as MOST people with peanut allergies are fine with peanut oil.

Anyway, hope you are feeling better very soon!

The 2004 Food Allergy and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA), which has been in effect since January 1, 2006, contains an exemption for "highly refined oils" right in the legislation. Many companies voluntarily list the source of their oil, but it is still legal to list "vegetable oil" without disclosing the source, and without having a "contains" statement. :(

• Upvote 1

And does the law even require listing allergens in vitamins and supplements?

richard

• Upvote 1