Cathey

Baked French Toast

Rate this topic

Help.... I make a baked french toast w/ raisin bread for Christmas morning. You layer the bread and pour the eggs, cream, milk and let it soak all night, then bake in the am. It gets a thick custard top and bottom. My question, has anyone had experience with baking Udi's Raisin Bread in a recipe like this? Should I not soak it all night, will the gluten-free bread become too soggy or would it be firmer then regular bread? I appreciate any help.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I saw a recipe for French Toast Casserole on julesglutenfree blog (linked). It asks for a loaf of gluten-free bread, 3-5 days old or stale / thawed from frozen. I haven't tried Udi's bread nor have I made a french toast casserole. :-) Hopefully someone else will come by that can answer your specific questions!

In my experience thickly-sliced bread works more successfully for French toast. I make my own and slice it a good inch thick! Sorry - I have yet to make it with commercial bread. Maybe try regular French toast first to see how Udi's responds.

Thank you all for your responses, I will have to tweek it next time with extra cream and more egg yolks. The bread was much drier than regular raisin bread. I did not get the custard I was use to. The boyz enjoyed it and it was nice to continue Christmas breakfast gluten-free.