Katrala

Celiac - Men Vs. Women

Rate this topic

So I've read that celiac disease is more common in women than men. Also, DH is more common in men than women.

Is the reason for this known?

Is it because pregnancy can be a trigger? Or because women have more stressful lives, making a trigger more likely? (hehe, kidding!)

Or, is it that there are more women diagnosed with celiac disease because they go to the doctor and keep pushing for an answer? Men may just ignore their symptoms and "man up" and live with them, or accept the "IBS" story.

Just saying.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Peter--I think celiac is a disease that doesn't discriminate. In our family, it affects men as equally as it does women. As far as DH, it also equally affects both genders in our family. I believe that celiac is under-reported in both men and women but that men might just not go to the doctor as often as women do.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Peter--I think celiac is a disease that doesn't discriminate. In our family, it affects men as equally as it does women. As far as DH, it also equally affects both genders in our family. I believe that celiac is under-reported in both men and women but that men might just not go to the doctor as often as women do.

I'm looking at the reported averages. While I realize that one family or small group of people may represent a different percentage, generalizations can't be made from such a small sample size.

I'm pretty sure that my maternal grandfather had it. Mom was the only one of nine children (2 boys, 7 girls) that was diagnosed. I'me from a family of 5 (2 boys, 3 girls), so to me the statisitics don't lean toward one gender or another. None of my siblings or their offspring have tested positive (yet). I agree with Peter.

None of us have DH, but I have 3 spots on my face with psoriasis or eczema, not sure which and my derm. is clueless.

I think more women jump on on the gluten-free diet who are into fads. I picked up some 2 for 1 Lara bars that were marked "Buy One, Get one Free" for $1.69 at the local grocery store. They rang up as $1.69 each. I told the cashier and it caused a delay. I apologized to the lady in line behind me. I said "I'm sorry but they overcharged me on a gluten-free bar I'm not that crazy about". She told me she was gluten-free for her asthma. I peeked at her purchases while waiting and asked her if she realized that cous cous was a wheat product. She said "Yes, but it's only for special occasions."

It ended up being a big deal about the Lara Bars, a manager was paged. So I just asked to have them credited and took off, wondering why you would want to have cous cous for special occasions. :ph34r:

I think more women jump on on the gluten-free diet who are into fads. I picked up some 2 for 1 Lara bars that were marked "Buy One, Get one Free" for $1.69 at the local grocery store. They rang up as $1.69 each. I told the cashier and it caused a delay. I apologized to the lady in line behind me. I said "I'm sorry but they overcharged me on a gluten-free bar I'm not that crazy about". She told me she was gluten-free for her asthma. I peeked at her purchases while waiting and asked her if she realized that cous cous was a wheat product. She said "Yes, but it's only for special occasions."

It ended up being a big deal about the Lara Bars, a manager was paged. So I just asked to have them credited and took off, wondering why you would want to have cous cous for special occasions. :ph34r:

Oh, dear. That raises my hackles! Over the holidays I was asked if I was a little celiac or a lot celiac. :huh: The person asked, "My friend has celiac and she has gluten once a week as a treat. Why can't you?" Double :huh::huh: .

Does that mean that women are complainers?? jk. I think it does mean that they do not just ignore things and pretend they will get better.

I do agree that many men just live with it. I accepted IBS for the last 5ish years for the most part instead of just forcing the issue. Even when it got really bad, I refused to go to the doctor.

I would be interested to know if those averages have stayed the same by generation. Let's face it, we are raising less manly men in many ways (according to older definitions of behavior). We are raising the newer generation to be more in touch with their feelings, more hygienic/into grooming, and less confrontational (use words vs whallup the guy in the head). Vulnerability and weakness is not the same old negative thing. I suspect that we will begin to see those stats even out over time as more men do not accept pain and discomfort.

It seems to me that the kids with it that I know are more 50:50 which might support the theory of men being kinda stupid with not taking their health serious.

Crohn's disease affects men more than women. I'm not so sure the theories regarding behavior towards doctors can really explain that.

Oh, dear. That raises my hackles! Over the holidays I was asked if I was a little celiac or a lot celiac. :huh: The person asked, "My friend has celiac and she has gluten once a week as a treat. Why can't you?" Double :huh::huh: .

Funny! I'm an alcoholic and my sister asked me if I quit drinking completely?! Like I could have one small glass and be fine!