revenant

Some Minor Symptoms After Minor Exposure

Rate this topic

After minor exposure to gluten/dairy/what not, (for instance, if I am around other people who are baking), I often have gluten nightmares the following night, and then I sleep longer, wake up very sleepy and only slightly irritable, almost unnoticably so, and weirdest of all is that I have cravings for gluten. I haven't eaten gluten in more than a year and I never have cravings for it unless it's the day after somebody was baking around me, but my reaction is so minor in comparison to my full blown gluten reaction that I wonder if this sounds like it could be a case of a super-sensitive reaction?

It is known that lower amounts of gluten cause lower level symptoms than higher amounts of gluten. It was in this long reference somewhere near the beginning. I don't know if it would be classified as super sensitivity unless reacting to inhaled gluten is considered a super sensitive reaction. I guess it depends on who you ask. It seems normal to me LOL.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/ScienceResearch/ResearchAreas/RiskAssessmentSafetyAssessment/UCM264152.pdf

• Upvote 1

In my humble opinion, a reaction is a reaction (minor or major)--- because it is not so much about the amount of gluten ingested somehow through CC, but about triggering the autoimmune response and provoking symptoms.

And yes, I would think that inhaled dust from airborne gluten might very well affect you, sure why not? I had someone on here tell me yesterday she was CCed badly just sweeping up spilled crackers at someone's house. :huh: She did not touch them and her DH flared up big time as well as the "gluten head" stuff we all hate. She was very careful and yet, she still got ill.

A "minor" CC issue recently made me sick for 12 days. I have nightmares as a result, too--when I can sleep, because I get serious insomnia from it. I did not notice a craving for gluten afterwards, however. That's interesting it happens to you. Does it pass quickly?

This thing is perplexing sometimes, isn't it? :blink:

Hope you are feeling better!

• Upvote 1

A "minor" CC issue recently made me sick for 12 days.

That sounds like a major reaction to me!! You poor thing.

That sounds like a major reaction to me!! You poor thing.

yes, it was a minor amount of CC but with a major reaction. :lol: for me, it's not about the amount...the result is still the same. It was "my bad" --I trusted something on someone else's (naive) assurances. He felt awful about it and the offending food has been removed from a menu claiming it is gluten-free. At least, I spared the next gluten-intolerant person some grief. :)

Lesson learned.

• Upvote 1