Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buckley92

Testing Siblings

Hello! I am new to the listserve but have an 8 year-old daughter, Colleen, who was diagnosed with celiac at at 3 and has followed a gluten-free diet every since. Both my husband and I had blood tests and do have any indicators. We have a four year old daughter, Claire, that was tested (blood) at about 15 months and have negative results.

Periodically, Claire will demonstrate some symptons the Colleen did - behavioral ones - crankyness, irritability, quick to upset. At these times, I wrestle with the question: Is this just a stage (typical preschool behavior) or are we seeing signs of celiac?

I have never heard/read of a recommended testing schedule for siblings? I know that people can develop celiac at any point in their life. Should I have her retested periodically?

Any thoughts/direction would be helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello!  I am new to the listserve but have an 8 year-old daughter, Colleen, who was diagnosed with celiac at at 3 and has followed a gluten-free diet every since.  Both my husband and I had blood tests and do have any indicators.  We have a four year old daughter, Claire,  that was tested (blood) at about 15 months and have negative results. 

Periodically, Claire will demonstrate some symptons the Colleen did - behavioral ones - crankyness, irritability, quick to upset.  At these times, I wrestle with the question:  Is this just a stage (typical preschool behavior) or are we seeing signs of celiac? 

I have never heard/read of a recommended testing schedule for siblings?  I know that people can develop celiac at any point in their life.  Should I have her retested periodically? 

Any thoughts/direction would be helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most likely the crankyness and all of that is just a stage in growing, but I would still get her tested at least once every two years if not every year. Although she may not have Celiac now, it can come on suddenly.

Hope I could help!

Lisa

lisa mccorkell

diagnosed on May 31, 2005

orange county, california

"Laziness will cause you pain." (Unknown)

I have heard about every 2-5 years but sooner if symptoms start.

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

generally the tests are inconclusive before age 2 and could easily give a false -. i would have her retested.

we also had our daughter tested at 15 months and it was -, but by 21 months she was really showing the signs our son had started with and i recently challenged her and got + results from removing gluten (and dairy but that is a seperate issue), so we contacted her doctor and reintroduced gluten and in another 1.5 weeks we are having her retested and i expect they will probably show + now... It's unfortunate to say I think she has it also, but the symptoms are just like William's at this age and I would rather know now before she get's as sick as he did....

I would have her tested too. The test should be accurate for age 4, and if you are concerned about symptoms, it will put your mind at rest.

My ds is 3 1/2 and gluten-free, and also gets persnickety at times. :)

Merika