This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Running Out Of Foods To Eat

allergyprone

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

He did order blood tests. I know one was the genetic test. His office called the day after I saw him and said he ordered more blood tests. They faxed the order to the lab, so I don't know what they were? Haven't gotten the results back yet. I think the holidays are slowing things down?

I did get my vitamin/mineral levels run by a different Resident after mine refused. As luck would have it, there weren't any appointments available with her when I was supposed to go back for a follow up after she prescribed a sleep med.and additional anti-depressant. He found my iron levels were very low and said to start supplimenting.

I gave copies of all of my tests to the new GI. The fact that he ordered more tests after I saw him has given me hope that he's taking my case seriously?

After the scope he said there was obvious scalloping, and my stomach was very red, which it wasn't when the first scope was done. He said the biopsy should tell more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

He did order blood tests. I know one was the genetic test. His office called the day after I saw him and said he ordered more blood tests. They faxed the order to the lab, so I don't know what they were? Haven't gotten the results back yet. I think the holidays are slowing things down?

I did get my vitamin/mineral levels run by a different Resident after mine refused. As luck would have it, there weren't any appointments available with her when I was supposed to go back for a follow up after she prescribed a sleep med.and additional anti-depressant. He found my iron levels were very low and said to start supplimenting.

I gave copies of all of my tests to the new GI. The fact that he ordered more tests after I saw him has given me hope that he's taking my case seriously?

After the scope he said there was obvious scalloping, and my stomach was very red, which it wasn't when the first scope was done. He said the biopsy should tell more.

He sounds like a good GI to me!

allergyprone Contributor

Hey thanks for all the great ideas and help. I'm going to try culturelle and see if that helps. I am thinking of getting tested for a letex allergy and was wondering if anyone new how to go about this, like do i need to go to a dr or can i just do an elimination like test.

missy'smom Collaborator

Hey thanks for all the great ideas and help. I'm going to try culturelle and see if that helps. I am thinking of getting tested for a letex allergy and was wondering if anyone new how to go about this, like do i need to go to a dr or can i just do an elimination like test.

You will need to see an allergist for the latex testing. It might be a good idea to call and ask if they are knowledgeable about latex allergy. Be sure to mention your foods-esp. the banana and avacado but show them your list. The latex food cross-reactors are broken into 2 or 3 sections, with banana, avacdo and kiwi in the strong relationship category then there are lists for moderate relationship. Many of the foods on your avoids list(and mine)are on that list.

My son and I were dx via skin test. How they do the skin test and if and how many skin test sites they do depend on your allergist and your case history.

Here is more info on latex allergy Open Original Shared Link

Luddie Newbie

hi hun i know just how you feel

i have the same list of foods that my body just does not like and of course theyare all foods are are yummy lol

but like irisheart said probiotics and digestive enzimes are your friends i try to take them everyday im too on a limited budget i take 1-2 a day and my supplements have digestive enz in them i was not able to take them a month ago but with taking nystead oral liquid i am able to stop the burning and hurting

but with that being stoped i get in my head oh mabe i can try lactose lol yea right my body says i dont like lactose of any kind and hurts me for it lol

all i can do is just keep trying foods and if they react dont eat them and if they do react eat

its so frustrateing to have such limited food choices when everyone around you is eating what i like to call normal food

i too would love to eat something with out giving it a second thought but this is why we have brains for us to do what is right for our digestive tracks cuase our digestive tracks can not tell us no dont eat that it will hurt me

our bodies have a wonderful way of healing as long as we eat foods that dont cause dammage it sure is a life style change

and its hard i know i acutally hacve to change the channel when there are food comurcials on tv lol

i hope you can find some sort of relief soon and calm that gut down ofyours

huggs

Hi all,

Reading these posts gives me hope (and scares me a little, too!). What foods do you suggest I drop back to as "safe"? I've been eating corn grits, with salt and real butter on them, along with 1/2 and 1/2. Occasionally an egg. Some simple meats like beef patty, or steak, or once in a while lamb, and potatoes. I had been on an elimination diet and added real, unpasteurized sauerkraut with no problem and I think it helpd my gut! I suspect I can't eat rice (white or brown), maybe wild rice would be okay. What about vegetables? If these are all "moving targets" that may change what's the use. I'm getting pretty wierded out by all this! I've been trying to get this under control for several years, but I didn't really take it seriously at first. Now I do and I'm having more trouble than before. Your posts helped me to understand I'm not the only one who has experienced that.

Anyhow, what did you eat at first to get better?!

LUDDIE

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It can all be a bit overwhelming at first can't it? If we just went gluten-free and felt fine we wouldn't have to use ourselves as a science experiment!

If you're not sure what to eat, may I suggest the Specific Carbohydrate diet? You can find info online or get the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle". The diet is aimed at healing the gut..and that's what we want to do.

Open Original Shared Link

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If we just went gluten-free and felt fine we wouldn't have to use ourselves as a science experiment!

Isn't that the case. My life seems like a science experiment. Everything that goes in my mouth and the mouths of my children has to be monitored. It gets tiresome.

But, it is great to be healthy again! Life is good.

As far as safe foods to start, I would say produce and meat roasts packaged at a meat only facility. Plus probably a good idea to avoid common problem foods like grains, nightshades, mushrooms, seafood, nuts, milk, eggs and soy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

allergyprone Contributor

So I've been trying culturelle for about a week now and I have been getting D,nausea, really bad stomach cramps and have pretty much lost my apitite. I was wondering if this is normal and will pass or can I not tollerate the good bacteria <_< . At first I thought it was just the death of the bad bacteria but now I'm thinking its time to stop taking it, but I couldn't find any information about side effects or stuff like that. So should I stop or will this pass in a couple of days?

IrishHeart Veteran

So I've been trying culturelle for about a week now and I have been getting D,nausea, really bad stomach cramps and have pretty much lost my apitite. I was wondering if this is normal and will pass or can I not tollerate the good bacteria <_< . At first I thought it was just the death of the bad bacteria but now I'm thinking its time to stop taking it, but I couldn't find any information about side effects or stuff like that. So should I stop or will this pass in a couple of days?

Taking probiotics is beneficial and should not harm you--unless you have pancreatitis and/or Crohn's--from what I understand. Then, it is not recommended.

There are no major harmful side effects that I have ever read about either, but they may cause some gas and mild bloating, but rarely Diarrhea. Since it is used to treat diarrhea, I am honestly not sure why you are having a bout of it. Sorry! Unless you are just getting used to them in your system.

Yes, you could quite possibly be killing off something in your gut and crowding our the bad bacteria to balance it out.

Drink a lot of water when you take them!

It could also be something IN the formula does not agree with you--did you get the one that is also DAIRY FREE?

Another way to minimize the risk of any of these uncommon probiotics side effects, is to start off slowly--take them every other day at first---and then work your way up slowly.

Here is what they do:

Much has been studied about their usefulness in treating leaky guts and possible side effects when introducing them into your GI tract. These symptoms are usually transient and subside. But ANY dose may be a lot for you to handle at first.

"Probiotic users have reported cases of bloating, gas, and lower abdominal pain when trying a new formula that they did not introduce in small incremental stages." The full report is here:

Like anything else, what works for one person may not work for you.

Sorry for your discomfort. I had some myself when I started, but I had testing done when I was quite ill from celiac and I had NO detectable good bacteria at all. :unsure: and I HAD to supplement. I started with low doses of powdered form and eventually went to the Culturelle as it was convenient and my GI doctor felt is was backed by enough research to be good.

After several months, because it took me a awhile to start to heal and I am still healing, I was regular for the first time in my life :) and my GI tract stopped burning,the abdominal and rib cage pain I had suffered for 3 years subsided and the 24/7 histamine response calmed down.

This was my experience--- others may be different, of course.

Best wishes, IH

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Maybe you should try lower doses of the probiotic? Maybe take it a couple of times a week to start? Cuturelle also has Inulin (chicory root extract), so maybe you're reacting to that?

I'm taking Culturelle AND Power Dophilus, so I have a variety of good guys to fight my battles in there. ;)

My son has had a horrible cold and I'm shocked that I haven't caught it, given my poor health in general right now. I was surprised to see that they said using probiotics could shorten the duration of a cold when I read the link given.

Archived