This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Upper Abdominal Pain - Under Ribcage

pondy

pondy Contributor

Hi Everyone,

A while back I posted about Upper GI/Ribcage Pain.

Just wanted to update that I had a follow-up Endoscopy (after 9 months gluten free) & the results are in.

It's the H. Pylori bacteria. :huh: Lo & behold, common to this infection is burning/gnawing upper abdominal pain - lots of times under/behind the left ribcage area. In other words, exactly what I've had.

G.I Doc said that my little villi are growing back, so the gluten free diet is working! There is hope! :D

Now I'm on Clarithromycin, Amoxcillin & Prilosec for treatment. Also, still taking the Culturelle probiotic & staying dairy free. I'm 3 days in & I do believe it's starting to work.

For those of you suffering from that crazy under-the-ribs pain, it might not be a bad idea to get tested for H. Pylori. I've read that it's very common.

All best to everyone. Happy New Year, by the way!

Pondy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TTNOGluten Explorer

Pondy

glad to hear everything is headed in the right direction, hopefully the tx for the H. Pylori gives you some relief, I am now 2 1/2 weeks out from gallbladder surgery, wish I could say the same, the ribcage pain continues as well as into my back, with no improvement, but what can you do. going for 2nd opinion next week with new gastro, hope he has some magic up his sleeve or is at least able to think outside the box, unlike the last one who basically told me that folks with celiac disease usually don't have much in the way of pain. I guess he has never had it to know, as that is by far and away my biggest symptom. I wish the best for you and the H.pylori quick eradication

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh, Thank Goodness you found out!! :)

I am so sorry that in all the things I suggested, I never thought to suggest h. pylori to you (my Dad had that and I asked to be tested for it myself when I had this upper rib cage pain--but I was negative)

but I am so glad you took our advice to keep pressing for follow up testing!!

You kept saying you knew it had to be more than just CC issues--and you were right! I was so hoping the follow up care/consult would give you an answer.

(After all those ANTIbiotics you will definitely need the PRObiotics.)

I do hope you recover quickly.

Happy New Year, hon!!!

pondy Contributor

TTNOGluten,

I forgot if you answered this already, but are you consuming dairy? My pain began to get better after I cut out all dairy products. I also noticed a correlation between major C and upper GI pain. Have you been checked for a kidney infection? Perhaps some other kind of gut infection/bacterial overgrowth?? I'm just grasping at staws here...

I'm very sorry that having your gallbladder removed didn't put an end to your ongoing pain. I know it's terrible not knowing what the hell is going on!

I don't know if having Celiac generally slows healing processes, but it took my body two full months to recover from an easy breezy knee arthrosopy! I felt like a 90 year old in a 41 year old body. I did eventually heal though - as you will. I know you're hurting, but try & think positively. Yeah, easier said than done - but as my new

GI said, where the mind goes the body tends to follow.

Hang in there! Thanks for your response!

Pondy

pondy Contributor

Oh, Thank Goodness you found out!! :)

I am so sorry that in all the things I suggested, I never thought to suggest h. pylori to you (my Dad had that and I asked to be tested for it myself when I had this upper rib cage pain--but I was negative)

but I am so glad you took our advice to keep pressing for follow up testing!!

You kept saying you knew it had to be more than just CC issues--and you were right! I was so hoping the follow up care/consult would give you an answer.

(After all those ANTIbiotics you will definitely need the PRObiotics.)

I do hope you recover quickly.

Happy New Year, hon!!!

IR,

Oh yes, you are so right about the probiotics! The GI has me on a double dose while I'm taking all these antibiotics.

By the way, everything you suggested has been more than helpful! Especially during the time when I had my old GI who dismissed me completely! You've been a superb source of knowledge for me. So, thanks!

:)

IrishHeart Veteran

IR,

Oh yes, you are so right about the probiotics! The GI has me on a double dose while I'm taking all these antibiotics.

By the way, everything you suggested has been more than helpful! Especially during the time when I had my old GI who dismissed me completely! You've been a superb source of knowledge for me. So, thanks!

:)

You're welcome. I am just sooooooo glad you found the culprit and that now you can heal up and get on with it. yaaay!!! Be well, hon!! ;)

jeanniek Newbie

I had stomach pain and gas for years after I went gluten free. I had been told to eat five small meals a day; but when you work full-time, that is not possible. Finally, I found that eating my breakfast slowly solved both of those problems. Every day I make Cream of Rice and pour about 1/4 of it in a bowl and 3/4 of it in a travel mug, adding vanilla almond milk to each. I eat the bowl of Cream of Rice, one vanilla Kinnikinnick donut, and a cup of warm vanilla almond milk for breakfast. I take the mug of Cream of Rice to work and sip it throughout the morning. Then I try stretching my lunch out throughout the afternoon. I am feeing much better - both physically and emotionally - no more gas, stomach pain, or bloating!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pondy Contributor

I agree that eatiing frequent small meals throughout the day is easier on the g.i system. I've gotten into this habit recently & have found it helpful too. Now that I am taking massive quantities of antibiotics for the H Pylori, I have severe burning & indigestion... Eating a little snack always remedies the situation.

Thanks for the input!

IrishHeart Veteran

Pondy, Thought of you when I saw this and wondered how you are doing???

Open Original Shared Link

GFinDC Veteran

Mastic gum is the way to go. It kills the h.pylori bacteria.

IrishHeart Veteran

Mastic gum is the way to go. It kills the h.pylori bacteria.

One study from 1998 says it does:

One study from 2003 says it does NOT:

GFinDC Veteran

I think I'll go with the first study then. And with my stomach which says yes, it does kill it. My tummie's opinion has a lot of weight in the argument from my personal perspective. :) Thanks for the links

IH.

IrishHeart Veteran

I think I'll go with the first study then. And with my stomach which says yes, it does kill it. My tummie's opinion has a lot of weight in the argument from my personal perspective. :) Thanks for the links

IH.

I'm with you. :)

The human body has an amazing capacity to heal--given the right circumstances. I am often told (about my symptoms and my recovery) " well, that's not possible!" and "I have never seen THAT before in my 30- something years!" blah blah blah ....and so, I just listen to my body and my brain now---they are (almost) always right! ;)

Whatever works...works! ;)

pondy Contributor

Update here...

I am on day 12 of 2 different antibiotics for H Pylori. I've been extremely nauseous - only really able to eat plain bread & water. Thank goodness I only have 2 days of meds to go.

Came down with stomach flu - everyone at work had it. No D, just vomit, abdominal pain... the usual suspects. Today I had D twice - how, I don't know since there is virtually nothing in my stomach.

Enough of the gross stuff! There is good news too!

Burning pain in upper left abdominal quad has gone away! It feels too good to be true. Perhaps these crazy meds with all the crazy side effects are working!!

I follow up with my GI on the 19th.

Best,

Pondy :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Antibiotics kill my stomach, too :blink: --sorry, kiddo

Keep the probiotics on board. Drink as much water as you can stand so you do not get dehydrated and hang in there.

That is good news that the awful pain has stopped.

I had a"bug" this week too...ugh! But I fought it off pretty good--could have been worse! ah well, as my Dad used to say "This Too Shall Pass." :)

Geesh, you have had quite a run. Hopefully, you will be right as rain soon.

My best, IH

Archived