This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Tired Of Cooking!

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I have never enjoyed cooking. When I had step kids and a husband I used to have to cook, but I never enjoyed it. Now after being single again for many years, the restautrants just loved me. Sometimes I would cook for myself - if you can call heating a frozen pizza cooking!

Since going gluten and corn free in June, I have had to cook all of my meals. I hate it! One day this past week I actually FORGOT to cook something to take to work and I had to forego my trip to the bank and the grocery store and slap some pork chops on the George Foreman grill instead.

I used to be able to stop at the bakery and grab a breakfast burrito. Or the grocery store for fried chicken. I never had to PLAN every meal before. And I never had to DO DISHES! I have tried, really I have. But I still hate to cook.

I know there is no solution except to get over it and stop complaining. But some days I wish I were wealthy enough to hire someone to do it for me. My Mom was a great cook, and she was gluten free. I guess like a lot of things, cooking skips a generation.

OK, I guess I've whined enough for now. End of rant. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I make everything on the weekends, divvy it up into containers, and put them in the freezer. Now I can still come home and chuck something in the microwave for dinner. :)

bartfull Rising Star

I make everything on the weekends, divvy it up into containers, and put them in the freezer. Now I can still come home and chuck something in the microwave for dinner. :)

I guess working seven days a week isn't such a good idea. I suppose I could do something like that when I get home at 9PM, but by then I'm ready for bed. Heck, I'm already ready for bed by the time my morning coffee is finished! :lol:

maximoo Enthusiast

I hate cooking too & I'm not good at it either but I have to feed my 2 celiac kids. It does help to make a lot of whatever ur cooking & freeze in individual containers for the rest of the week. A nice big pot of soup, stir fry, whatever. On Sun chop up salad, veggies, etc & put in containers so u can grab & go. Paper plates & plastic utensils will help with less dishwashing.

Depending on how sensitive you are there are many restaurants with gluten-free options--Wendys chili & baked potato. Chikfila grilled chkn & waffle fries (no bun of course) Chilis potato soup, grilled chicken & ribs, salad, rice. I believe Applebees has gluten-free choices. Look up the restaurant thread for more ideas so you can avoid cooking sometime. And if you find some restaurants that u can eat from u can usually order take out as well.

If you have any friends/ family that are gluten-free maybe you all can swap dishes or take turns/share cooking sometime. For ex you make a bunch of pork chops with ur grill & they make rice & veggies--something like that.

If there is a celiac group in ur area you can make new friends to do this with.

good luck!

Jestgar Rising Star

I guess working seven days a week isn't such a good idea. I suppose I could do something like that when I get home at 9PM, but by then I'm ready for bed. Heck, I'm already ready for bed by the time my morning coffee is finished! :lol:

I have a three hour commute and I take classes. When I get home from the grocery store I dump my veggies in the sink and wash them. Sometimes they sit in there (under a damp towel) for three days before I have time to chop them. Sometimes I get some chopped but not all. The bowl of chopped goes into the frig until the rest are done. If I'm really lazy I'll throw a chunk of meat in the crock pot and then divide the cooked product into bowls that I've dumped frozen veggies in.

bartfull Rising Star

Restaurants are out. I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. The restaurants here are not gluten savy at all, and with corn being a problem for me too, I just wouldn't trust them. The nearest Applebee's is 60 miles away. What I usually do is cook enough for two or three days. I try to keep the pots and pans to a minimum. I use the Foreman grill a lot, and I bake a lot of potatoes in the oven. The veggies I just chop up and throw in the microwave here at work. What I dois not HARD, but I just feel like I am wasting time in the kitchen that I could be using much more constructively.

I was never a big fan of EATING to begin with. It didn't matter what I ate (hence the frozen pizza) as long as I had something to fill the hole in my belly. Food just wasn't important to me. I mean, sure I like ice cream and stuff, but I even remember as a kid, wishing they could come up with a "food pill" so we didn't have to waste time cooking and eating. Now it seems like I'm hungry all the time and my whole life revolves around food. I hate it. I just want to go back to being lazy in the kitchen so I can get on with the IMPORTANT things, like music and um, music.

Like I said, I'm just over tired and feeling whiney. I'll carry on because what else can I do? Maybe I could beg all of you to send me food? Hey, with enough dry ice it should get here alright. :lol:

bartfull Rising Star

Crockpot? I have one of those but I've never used it. To be honest, I forgot I had it. Maybe that'll help. (Could someone come wash it for me when I'm done? :P )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

(Could someone come wash it for me when I'm done? :P )

I normally do three meals on the weekend, 2 veggie and chicken, one more tomatoey and with either beef, pork, or turkey. I go straight from one meal to the next without washing in between. After the last meal has been dished out the crock pot goes in the sink full of water. By the time I get around to washing it, it's pretty easy to clean. :P

GFreeMO Proficient

I hear ya! I am very tired of it myself! I get so damn jealous of people who can eat anything. For instance, my neighbor brings home fast food almost every night or they get pizza or eat frozen stuff etc. I would just like ONE easy thing that I don't have to make totally from scratch.

I am so super sensitive that I have to make my own potato chips and rice cereal. :angry:

love2travel Mentor

I was never a big fan of EATING to begin with. It didn't matter what I ate (hence the frozen pizza) as long as I had something to fill the hole in my belly. Food just wasn't important to me. I mean, sure I like ice cream and stuff, but I even remember as a kid, wishing they could come up with a "food pill" so we didn't have to waste time cooking and eating. Now it seems like I'm hungry all the time and my whole life revolves around food. I hate it. I just want to go back to being lazy in the kitchen so I can get on with the IMPORTANT things, like music and um, music.

And I am just the opposite I suppose. My Mom reminds me that I was born with my fist in my mouth. I have been passionate about food since I was 6 when my aunt gave me my first cookbook. I cooked up a storm - simple things, of course, to begin with. The thing that saddens me is that people rarely invited me over to eat (before this celiac stuff especially) because they were intimidated. I find that sad. I judge my own food but not others'. And when I went to homes I was asked to either do the cooking there or to bring dishes along! Which I am happy to do as I love it that much. If I am not cooking I am reading about it or dreaming of it or planning the next meal. Honestly.

However, my husband is so thankful and is a major food person so we love food shopping together. When I am alone (when he is away on business trips) I often cook just as well for myself BUT there are times I just munch on tortilla chips and salsa! It surely does help having someone to cook for and enjoy food with.

You are a music person (whatever gave that away?). Anyway, I enjoy listening to music and appreciate it but am so unmusical it is not even funny. We all have our own bailiwick(s). Hey - I'm glad I got to use that in a sentence!

Would it help to shop for an ingredient you have never seen or tried before and then build your dinner around that ingredient? I know you do not have the time for most things but others who suggested crockpot cooking are right. However, you can have a restaurant-style meal on the table in about 45 minutes easily unless you do not have time for that, either. I could suggest about 100 fantastic 45-minute meals at the moment. Hmmmm...I'm not being much help, am I? :blink:

Mizzo Enthusiast

Restaurants are out. I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. The restaurants here are not gluten savy at all, and with corn being a problem for me too, I just wouldn't trust them. The nearest Applebee's is 60 miles away. What I usually do is cook enough for two or three days. I try to keep the pots and pans to a minimum. I use the Foreman grill a lot, and I bake a lot of potatoes in the oven. The veggies I just chop up and throw in the microwave here at work. What I dois not HARD, but I just feel like I am wasting time in the kitchen that I could be using much more constructively.

Like I said, I'm just over tired and feeling whiney. I'll carry on because what else can I do? Maybe I could beg all of you to send me food? Hey, with enough dry ice it should get here alright. :lol:

I completely understand you feeling like life revolves around food , because it does. I am not Celiac but my daughter is and I like to cook but can be very resentful of cooking due to gluten free demands. The first year was pretty disheartening, but much better now. My DD is 8 and very social so I am thinking days ahead for playdates, birthday parties , camps etc.... It's exhausting at times. My husband doesn't understand because HE DOESN'T DO ANY COOKING, and thinks I am a crank when I get p***ed off when they throw a last minute cupcake party in her NO-food classroom and I have to whip up a batch for a party that shouldn't be happening . So Yes, I hear you !!!

Just whining hear too , no responds necessary.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I find the beast is the prep.... So if you can make a point of chopping veggies, etc. that helps the cooking go 2x as fast.

And make enough to freeze a portion and take leftovers to work the next day.

And write down menus you like to eat/prepare and then pull them out, shop for that week, chop/prep.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I feel the same way at times! I have a very small fridge/freezer in my apartment, so not much room to cook a lot and save. Some of my fast/easy meals include scrambled eggs, or baked potato. I have made a gluten-free pasta salad and eat on it for a few days.I have also used the Hormel chicken breast strips on a salad when I really didn't want to cook to take something for lunch. They aren't my favorite, but make do in a hurry. Sometimes I may have some chicken meat, olives, cheese, pickles and gluten-free crackers or chips. Not a well rounded meal, but fast and easy. Hang in there!Can you eat peanuts? I know if I could, I'd be eating a lot of peanutbutter!

Skylark Collaborator

Like Jestgar I cook on the weekends and live on leftovers and homemade frozen foods during the week. Raw veggies are great, especially things like carrots and celery that require almost no preparation. I soak/sprout nuts on the weekend too, so I have plenty during the week. You want a cooking time sink, look at the Open Original Shared Link. I'm off dairy, soy, all grains, refined sugar, starches, and cooking everything from scratch. My stockpot is simmering every weekend, all weekend. I think it's helping but I feel your pain. I'm breaking GAPS rules to cook a little batch of black-eyed peas for New Year's because it's just too painful to drop that tradition.

I know what you mean about feeling like the cooking is a time sink, but my music is much better now. Sure there is less time to practice, but I play better when I'm healthy. B)

cap6 Enthusiast

I'll join you with the I hate to cook. Have never liked it or been good at it. 20 months later and.... I still don't like it. ;) I bought several of these plastic divided dishes made by ziploc and then make up some meals from my leftovers. That way I always have something to fall back on - or to grab when my partner wants to go out to eat. Also bought a couple of gluten-free frozen meals. Don't have then often but good to have on hand for a night when I can't face cooking.

freeatlast Collaborator

I KNOW KNOW KNOW what you mean.

Having said that, you can survive a long time on frozen waffles, eggs, and sausage or bacon for breakfast. Nature's Path Buckwheat frozen waffles are, bar none, my favorite frozen waffles. I will still eat Van's, in a pinch. Ate those for years. Throw a little Aunt Jemima's on there, and you're all set (I know, I bought maple syrup for years, but now I'm poor).

So many choices for breakfast with rice or corn chex. I don't like the sugarey ones. You can buy those in small towns. Try to get some Rice n' Shine by Arrowhead Mills or Bob's Red Mill hot cereal in the city before you leave work one day. Kroger carries many choices now in their gluten-free section. Fry up some turkey bacon to go with, or I like bacon and grits. Just nuke the hot cereal or grits and you're all set.

For lunch you could have a berry yoghurt, a banana, a tangerine, pkg. of almonds, bottled water (keep filling up the same bottle with jug water that I buy and keep at home or you could just keep one jug in your office in case you forget to fill it at home) and some blocks of cheese. Heck, I usually take the whole package of cheese and a knife and cut off blocks at lunch at work. Some weeks, I take the whole thing of deli turkey in my lunch box instead of yohurt. If I forget my lunchbox in the refrigerator, lunch is ready for me tomorrow. If you need it as a sandwich, take your gluten-free loaf and keep it and your condiment at work. I usually have Fritos, instead of fruit, with a sandwich, and cut slices of cheese for my sandwich.

That just leaves supper. Lots of great ideas above.

Take care and hang in there!!!!!

cahill Collaborator

I HEAR YOU!! I am soooo tired of spending my day off cooking and cleaning up.!!! Thank goodness for crock pots though ;)

If I really miss anything since going gluten and soy free it is the convenience of "fast" foods.

Well things are going to get interesting around my house as I am starting ANOTHER :blink: elimination diet. SO interesting is the way it is going to be around my house for awhile :rolleyes:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like the cooking part, but I HATE the cleaning part. I find that if I figure out what sorts of things reduce how much cleaning I need to do (one pot meals, using the grill for everything), it's MUCH more likely that I will cook.

Jestgar Rising Star

And foil. Just crunch it up and chuck it out.

GFinDC Veteran

I like a pressure cooker myself. I can make a roast stew or some kind of soup in a pressure cooker in an hour. And you don't have to stand there and watch it like a pot on the stove. Just set a timer and turn off the burner when it chimes. Let it cool off naturally before opening or run cold water on the lid.

If you want to spend money on processed food though, Scott just posted that Gorton's is labeling their grilled fish as gluten-free now.

bartfull Rising Star

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Some of them I can't use because of the *%#@* corn, but I think I'm in a better mood today and feeling a bit less whiney. (It doesn't hurt that I sold a VERY expensive guitar today, and to a guy who plays so well that I know the GUITAR will be happy too. Gotta love those unexpected after Christmas sales!)) The crockpot will be coming out of the closet tomorrow morning, and I WILL learn how to use it!

Skylark Collaborator

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Some of them I can't use because of the *%#@* corn, but I think I'm in a better mood today and feeling a bit less whiney. (It doesn't hurt that I sold a VERY expensive guitar today, and to a guy who plays so well that I know the GUITAR will be happy too. Gotta love those unexpected after Christmas sales!)) The crockpot will be coming out of the closet tomorrow morning, and I WILL learn how to use it!

It's always nice when the good instruments go to someone deserving.

This gluten-free crockpot blog might get you started.

Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

Holy cow, Skylark! I've been using this computer for years now, but I never even thought to look for something like that! (Blame it on brain fog? :blink: ) I KNOW I can do some of those recipes without screwing them up too much. You all may have had to drag me into the kitchen kicking and screaming, but now that I'm there, your guidance and understanding just might keep me there! Thank you so much!!

BabsV Enthusiast

Skylark beat me to it! I loved that crockpot365 site before I was ever diagnosed with Celiac Disease -- as a working mom it totally saved me time and energy since the woman who writes it hates spending a lot of time prepping ingredients. She just wants to dump stuff in the crockpot and forget about it until it is time to eat. Her cookbooks are good too and include some recipes not on the website.

One thing I've been known to do is dump all the ingredients in the crockpot before bed and then in the morning the meal is ready to be divided up in baggies or containers (I'm big on using ziplocs because you can just pitch them when you are done -- totally bad for the environment I know) and stashed in the fridge or freezer. I put the crockpot to soak with plain white vinegar and water, and by the time I'm home in the evening clean up is really really easy and takes only a couple of minutes.

The author of crockpot365 also recommends prepping ingredients ahead of time (when you do have time to spend in the kitchen or doubling up when you are making a recipe) and freezing all or most of the ingredients in a ziploc. Then, you pull the bag out to thaw in the fridge overnight and throw it in the crockpot in the morning.

All of this does take more time and planning but the longer you do it the more it will become a 'habit' and it won't be nearly as painful. Hopefully.

Skylark Collaborator

Glad you liked the link. B)

I do almost the reverse of Babs because I don't like to do much before I leave for work. I prep everything in the crockpot liner in the evening after work and throw it in the fridge. In the morning all I have to do is put the liner in the crockpot and turn it on. I come home to a warm dinner.

You might also appreciate the well illustrated dutch oven recipes one of my favorite gaming bloggers occasionally posts. This chicken cacciatore recipe is fabulous and you see how each step should look.

Beer-braised pot roast (use a gluten-free beer of course)

40 garlic chicken

Archived