This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Me And Sister Feel Absolutely Terrible

Chalula88

Chalula88 Apprentice

Ordinarily, I don't eat any pre-packaged food that has any dyes, preservatives or more than 3 ingredients. The three days I posted are just the days without dairy where I had to find something else to eat and those were the things I had. That is not at all my typical diet.

I don't eat pre-packaged gluten free foods, except very occasionally bread and crackers. Otherwise, the only prepackaged foods I eat are taco shells and they only have three ingredients (corn, water, lime). I didn't think there was any risk with those things, but I will cut them out for a while just in case.

Also, me and my sister are both 5'3" and 105 pounds. The doctor decided today to put my sister on a formula so that she'll get more calories. We've both struggled to get enough calories, everything gluten-free seems to also be super low calorie and neither of us eats more than a serving of meat per week. Since we've both decided to go dairy free, I'm afraid we're both going to end up underweight.

Since I only drink water, I don't think dehydration is the problem. While I have not been tested for auto-immune disorders, my sister was tested and had no indicators at all and we have the same symptoms.

I'm not sure what to eat besides veggies and rice. I am interested in the paleo diet, but I really don't want to eat that much meat, but if it's what I have to do, it's what I'll do.

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

You could try a semi macrobiotic diet. Of course it includes a lot of rice. Hopefully that won't be a problem. If it is, then the paleo diet may be for you. You can add in some squash and roots for the carbs instead of rice etc.

Still consider you might have candida overgrowth. Signs of it are excessive tiredness, making bad smells, a white tongue (though salicylate sensitivity can do this last one too), brain fog, craving sweets and/or carbs, a puffy belly, possible fungus on your toenails or crotch rot, vaginitis (though my bad puffy flaky skin there was actually psoriasis--which responds well to dandelion et al and going off salicylates). Anything else guys??

If you do think you might have it, when you go off enough carbs and sugary foods you will likely go through some unpleasant symptoms. If you don't experience the symptoms, its unlikely you have candida overgrowth.

When the candida is dying off it sends out chemicals that makes you crave sweets or at least very carby food and makes you feel mean and nasty. Its a good time to become a cave dweller and see as few people as possible. I got terrible headaches and burning eyes. Resist the urge to indulge. After 5 or 6 days you will have already gone through the hardest part. After that it gets easier.

Pao de arco is one of the good herbs to use to counteract a candida infection. So is garlic. Oregano oil capsules often are quite effective (as long again as you don't have a salicylate problem) as is olive leaf tea or capsules. There are many others, however these are fairly safe ones to start with.

frieze Community Regular

Obviously there are multiple factors going on here. I would suggest getting a 3-5 hour glucose tolerance test, and FASTING INSULIN testing. And adding small amounts of meat more frequemtly. good luck

Chalula88 Apprentice

I think my recent terrible symptoms are related to casein withdrawal. I'm starting to feel better again and my sister is doing great without milk. We're going to give that a while and keep food journals to try to catch anything else that comes up.

YoloGx Rookie

I think my recent terrible symptoms are related to casein withdrawal. I'm starting to feel better again and my sister is doing great without milk. We're going to give that a while and keep food journals to try to catch anything else that comes up.

I'm happy to hear you and your sister are starting to feel better being off the cheese etc. This is really great news!

At some point you might want to figure out whether or not it is the lactose or the casein or both. If it is just the lactose, you can have things like that plain home made 24 hour yogurt I mentioned. But this is for later on. For now just let your body heal.

It is also just possible that you will heal enough after six months to a year or so to be able to have plain milk again. I didn't, but many do. Milk molecules for some reason are some of the first to go through the leaky gut (i.e., the intestinal wall becomes more permeable) we get from the villi being impaired.

Work on healing the villi. Thus the bromelain/papain if nothing else--or its food equivalents: pineapple and papaya.

I would remain alert about the sugar and high carbs.

Good luck!

Bea

ciamarie Rookie

Glad to hear it! And thanks for the update.

YoloGx Rookie

So how are you guys doing off the milk products now that its a few days later. A lot better I hope!

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived