silk

Allergic Reactions To Toothpaste?

Rate this topic

For months now I have been plagued by mouth sores and ulcers, and what appears to be thrush. I also have mild asthmatic attacks after brushing my teeth every day...coughing to the point of gagging and throwing up. Using the inhaler seems to help. A couple of days ago a light bulb went off and I wondered if I was reacting to toothpaste, so I switched brands for a couple of days with no change. On a whim tonight I googled 'allergic reactions to toothpaste' and came up with tons of stuff, most notably a website dedicated to this problem. It turns out that this is a fairly common problem with a number of different symptoms. One being cracked lips that do not heal. My youngest daughter has had cracks at the corners of her mouth for a few weeks now.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I don't believe that it is due to a gluten issue as I have checked the toothpaste brands and they are suppose to be gluten-free.

My uncle has a problem with sodium lauryl sulfate (think that's it) - a sudsing agent used in a lot of toothpaste. He uses toothpaste that doesn't contain it. I think SLS gives him mouth sores.

Personally, I use Weleda Salt toothpaste and love it.

I am allergic to sodium laurel sulfate as well. I had a lot of the same symptoms as you did. I figured out it was SLS around 7 years ago and have been using Biotene toothpaste ever since, and have been symptom free since. It did take a couple of weeks for the rash around my mouth to completely heal and go away though. You can buy this toothpaste at Target, Walgreens, Walmart, and many grocery stores. Hope this helps, and that SLS is the problem, since it's an easy fix.

http://www.biotene.com/Products/toothpaste.aspx

Flouride in toothpaste gets some people too. You might try Tom's.

My friend was allergic to the fluoride in toothpaste. Her symptom was a weird rash around her mouth. She switched to one without it.

Cracks at the corners of the mouth are often a sign of a vitamin B allergy. I have to take B Complex. If I don't, my mouth cracks.

My friend was allergic to the fluoride in toothpaste. Her symptom was a weird rash around her mouth. She switched to one without it.

Cracks at the corners of the mouth are often a sign of a vitamin B allergy. I have to take B Complex. If I don't, my mouth cracks.

???? Did you mean to say deficiency? My daughter has been taking B12.....

Thanks to all of you for the great information! :D