This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strange Symptoms

Jen H

Jen H Contributor

Hi everyone,

Do you guys ever get lots of sinus pressure, ear aches, and headaches? I know that food allergies can bring this stuff on, so can celiac disease cause these symptoms too?

:) Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi everyone,

Do you guys ever get lots of sinus pressure, ear aches, and headaches?  I know that food allergies can bring this stuff on, so can celiac disease cause these symptoms too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was eating a "normal" diet I had those symptoms everyday. I had CT scans for the sinuses (clear), an MRI for the migraines (normal) and the doc said my ears looked good <_< . I felt like my head was going to EXPLODE...I would also get popping sounds in my ears from all the pressure. It all went away when I changed my diet...you might be sensitive to something other than gluten which might cause the same symptoms or it could still be from the gluten.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, those can be some of the symptoms you can experience. Everyones symptoms vary but those can be some of them.

Jen H Contributor

Oops, I guess I posted that question in the wrong spot. Thanks guys for getting back to me on that. I feel so much pressure in my ears and have a sinus headache. I took some robitussin for sinus congestion and I'm relieved that it seems to be gluten-free! yay! It is helping a bit with my headache, but not with my ears.

deb.h. Rookie

I get that pressure like my head is about to explode and my eyeballs feel way to big for my head. well I finally figured out what it is. My neck goes out quite often. when it does in a certain way then this is the result. My massage therapist who is a sports trained one gave me some great stretches to release it and relieve the pressure. Then i realized that it was all food related. Depending on what I ate. Chocolate is the worst offender. i immediately cease up in my upper back and neck. msg is bad too. The neck problems have also caused at times in my sleep to make all my limbs go numb and also to give me weird sensations in my face, ringing inmy ears and earaches. the more I stayed streched out and heated up up bean bags or a heating pad and avoid all foods that trigger my neck andback to seize up the better off I am.

watkinson Apprentice

Hi Jen H,

I suffered for several years with sinus stuffiness and severe ear pain on one side. <_< It would be so bad at night that I would toss and turn constantly. I am a side sleeper but I wouldn't be able to lay for more than a few minutes on that side. The paid was all on the outside of the ear, like swimmers ear. It felt like my ear was broken or something.

I saw the doctor and an ENT, but of coure, <_< they said it was nothing and gave me the old "here, take this pill". :angry:

When I was diagnosed a celiac, most of those problems went away. I did notice however, that dairy seemed to make it worse. I am not lactose intollerant but maybe I have a sight allergy. If I would eat ice cream or drink milk for dinner I would have completely block sinus on the right side and the terrible ear pain would come back. As long as I have dairy early in the day, I'm fine. Like milk on my cereal for breakfast or yogurt or ice cream in the afternoon.

Maybe you could see if you feel better buy not eating certain things at night.

Good luck, Wendy

sspitzer5 Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Do you guys ever get lots of sinus pressure, ear aches, and headaches?  I know that food allergies can bring this stuff on, so can celiac disease cause these symptoms too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jen, I get these same headaches/pressure every day! They drive me crazy and are my worst symptom. I've had them for at least 6 years. I've been gluten-free for about 6 months. They seem a little better now, but I still get them. Perhaps it is another food allergy. I've recently started to wonder if my makeup could be a cause. Maybe I'm allergic to one of the ingredients?

I would be THRILLED if I could get rid of them. I hope they are a Celiac symptom so that eventually they will go away.

I notice that I get more congested when I eat diary, but it doesn't seem to correspond to my headaches.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jen H Contributor

I'm starting to wonder if I'm reacting to a food allergy. I went to the doctor today and she told me to take a decongestant and an antihistamine. She seems to think I have "seasonal allergies". Anyways, my ears and head are feeling a bit better.

Jen

kallie Rookie

I get terrible sinus pressure and congestion whenever I eat gluten or dairy. Sometimes it's so bad i can't sleep. Since going strictly gluten-free and dairy free for about 2 weeks it's gotten much better but I still wake up stuffy sometimes. I also have a deviated septum (sp?) so that's part of it.

Archived