Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MitziG

Just A Vent- In Laws Are Making Fun Of Celiac

Luddie, tell your son if he is such a wonderful cook that mastering gluten free should be a snap for him :P. If even the poorest cook manages to muster up gluten free meals, think how easy it would be for a wonderful cook. He would figure out all the necessary substitutions in a snap, and be aware of all the cross-contamination pitfalls so that he could keep you safe. :lol:

Luddie, tell your son if he is such a wonderful cook that mastering gluten free should be a snap for him :P. If even the poorest cook manages to muster up gluten free meals, think how easy it would be for a wonderful cook. He would figure out all the necessary substitutions in a snap, and be aware of all the cross-contamination pitfalls so that he could keep you safe. :lol:

I should challenge him on that, but he's also busy with raising three kids and a time consuming job, so I don't think that's in the books right now. He does try to make substitutions for me when I let him.

I'm actually interested in your own description of the things you can't eat! I'm really at a dead end, and although my doc is trying to really help, I think I'm a tough case and he can really only do so much. I think the detective work is really up to me. So, did you go on an elimination diet or did you just keep track of what you were eating and figure it out from how you felt? I've been trying to stop the diarrhea and have successfully done that by cutting down on some of my supplements, primarily the fish oils and magnesiums, but I'm experiencing pretty bad arthritic like pains in my hands, wrists and fingers. The rheumatologist says I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, and that it's osteoarthritis probably from the celiac disease. I was on prednisone for several weeks and felt really great (my doc did that). Of course he and I agreed that I couldn't stay on it forever so the rheumatologist dropped me to 5 mg/day. Apparently that is what is considered a "relatively safe dose" although I'd rather not be on any! Been on that since just before Christmas (two weeks) and I'm hurting every morning when I wake up. So, I'm assuming it's something I'm eating, but I'm eating very little variety. Don't want this to turn into a book so won't go into all the food detail on this post! I don't think I've been glutened really as my IgG and IgA were both at 4 last blood test.

Thanks for any advice.

Luddie

I'm actually interested in your own description of the things you can't eat! I'm really at a dead end, and although my doc is trying to really help, I think I'm a tough case and he can really only do so much. I think the detective work is really up to me. So, did you go on an elimination diet or did you just keep track of what you were eating and figure it out from how you felt? I've been trying to stop the diarrhea and have successfully done that by cutting down on some of my supplements, primarily the fish oils and magnesiums, but I'm experiencing pretty bad arthritic like pains in my hands, wrists and fingers. The rheumatologist says I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, and that it's osteoarthritis probably from the celiac disease. I was on prednisone for several weeks and felt really great (my doc did that). Of course he and I agreed that I couldn't stay on it forever so the rheumatologist dropped me to 5 mg/day. Apparently that is what is considered a "relatively safe dose" although I'd rather not be on any! Been on that since just before Christmas (two weeks) and I'm hurting every morning when I wake up. So, I'm assuming it's something I'm eating, but I'm eating very little variety. Don't want this to turn into a book so won't go into all the food detail on this post! I don't think I've been glutened really as my IgG and IgA were both at 4 last blood test.

Thanks for any advice.

Luddie

what form of magnesium are you using? Keep in mind what MOM is....lol. If you can get it Mag64 or Magdelay probably would work better for you. If prednisone helps, you probably have inflammation going on from something....

good luck

Luddie, I tried to review your topics to recall your history of diagnosis and treatment, but there were none :o Can you give me a brief refresher course so my response to you can be relevant?