Aligirl2006

gluten-free Protein Powders

Rate this topic

I'm new at this gluten free thing! I have a gluten intolerance so my symptoms are much less severe than most people (thankfully). I can afford to be less picky and focus on ingredients of most thing rather than needing the certified "gluten free" products.

That being said, I'm attempting to find a good gluten-free protein powder that won't break the bank. I'm currently using Herbalife Protein Drink Mix. Here are the ingredients: http://catalog.herbalife.com/US/en//pdf/catalog/100907_SKU1122_us_label.pdf

The manufacturer said it was not certified gluten free but couldn't say one way or another whether that was just because of possible contamination or because it included some actual gluten ingredients. I looked through all of them and some were on the questionable list but as far as I could tell from the list above, none were gluten.

Can someone with a more trained eye look over the list for me? It's a big part of my diet so I'm hoping to figure it out and am not sure where else to turn. Also if anyone knows of some great gluten-free protein powders I would really appreciate a suggestion! Thanks all!

All I could find that were questionable were the tocopherols, and the natural and artificial flavorings. It's not guaranteed that these ingredients aren't using a gluten filler. I checked all the other ingredients for you, they're good.

• Upvote 1

All I could find that were questionable were the tocopherols, and the natural and artificial flavorings. It's not guaranteed that these ingredients aren't using a gluten filler. I checked all the other ingredients for you, they're good.

Thanks a ton!! I found a gluten free one that I'll be adding in after this one is done just to be on the safe side. Very helpful, I appreciate it :)

We use Nutribiotic rice protein. I'm very sensitive to cross contamination & have no problem with this. My son likes it for breakfast. The vanilla & chocolate are pretty good, just make sure you mix it well.

The most economical protein powder I've found is the pea protein from NOW Foods. It's just plain protein, nothing else added. So you can flavor it however you like, and have total control over ingredients. Also makes for more variety, as you can use whatever flavors or fruits, etc.

The most economical protein powder I've found is the pea protein from NOW Foods. It's just plain protein, nothing else added. So you can flavor it however you like, and have total control over ingredients. Also makes for more variety, as you can use whatever flavors or fruits, etc.

I've been meaning to try pea protein as an alternative to the rice protein that I've been buying. Not sure if its NOW brand or not that I looked at though. How does it taste when you dont add lots of flavors with it? Does it mix well?

I usually use hemp protein powder - it is non-flavored so goes with everything, blends well in the blender.

I've been meaning to try pea protein as an alternative to the rice protein that I've been buying. Not sure if its NOW brand or not that I looked at though. How does it taste when you dont add lots of flavors with it? Does it mix well?

It does blend into things pretty well, and I use it for a number of different things. As for the taste, I don't think it's particularly strong, but in high concentrations I'm sure it'd be noticed, just as any protein powder would. I think it'd be a matter of how different the taste of it is from what you are expecting. For what it's worth, I've tried rice protein, and prefer the taste of the pea protein. So I'd say you'll definitely notice the switch, and therefore you may need to use it regularly for a few days/weeks before your taste buds adjust. I read someplace that taste buds are replaced every 15 days or so (or something like that), so that may be a factor in the process of adapting to it.