This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Hardest Part About Celiac For Me Is...

GFreeMO

lynnelise Apprentice

I USED to say I am so glad I got to visit New Orleans before Katrina. Now I'm glad I went before being gluten/corn free. The food was absolutely the best I ever had!

This exactly! I love New Orleans more than any place I've visited!!! I know I could make the dishes at home but it's not the same as being there and having the experience of trying all the good restaurants. Celiac makes you lose a lot the carefree attitude that makes vacation fun.

So to answer the overall question I guess what I find hardest is the constant planning and the way an unexpected hurdle can throw everything off. Like today for instance. I got called into a meeting before I had a chance to eat my breakfast...well they served donuts so it was a really bad time to be hungry. Then things get intense and they decide to work through lunch and order food in....from a pizza place I'm unfamilar with. I was way too scared to chance a salad so I just said no thanks. So that made two meals I had to suffer through. Finally I snuck out for a restroom break and scarfed down a Larabar. Normal people don't worry about that...they just enjoy donuts and pizza on the company's dime!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

xjrosie Apprentice

If you are staying somewhere with a kitchen you could cook - but that's hard to find there unless its a cottage or a liberal B&B.

That's why I have hope of going back soon. My uncle still lives there....so he has a kitchen!

Look for an extended-stay hotel, I know the Holiday Inn company has one but I can't remember the name. Anyway, those hotels typically have a little larger room with a fridge, mini-stove, and microwave. The one I stayed in even had a bit larger table where my kids and I could sit down.

srall Contributor

Look for an extended-stay hotel, I know the Holiday Inn company has one but I can't remember the name. Anyway, those hotels typically have a little larger room with a fridge, mini-stove, and microwave. The one I stayed in even had a bit larger table where my kids and I could sit down.

I think this is really good advice. When we went to England last summer I made sure we had a kitchen. This trip to New Orleans we won't have the luxury, but hopefully a fridge. (The hotel is part of a convention). But in our travels we have learned to research ahead of time and book our hotel based around proximity to a Whole Foods, Outback, or nicer restaurants, a fridge or kitchen in the hotel, or even rent a house if we need to...traveling is just not at all carefree anymore.

HalfBaked Newbie

There is at least one that you can get gluten-free King Cakes, I know I get mine from a guy that is at Who Dat Cafe in Marigny neighborhood, which is just outside the Quarter. He always has different savory items and sweets as well. Talk to him, if you have special restrictions, he will go for it if he can (eg Nut Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free.) I go there regularly, and honestly I don't feel as though I'm missing out at all on the gluten-free items. The reason I found this thread was that I was looking for a gluten-free muffaletta bread recipe for Mardi Gras. At last I got to help someone find King Cakes, now back to the trawling of the internet oceans for that one special recipe...

PS, there is a restaurant in this Cafe, the same guy supplies the biscuits (Green Onion Cheddar!! Yum!) with your breakfast, and believe this... gluten-free Grillades and Grits!

Also, El Gato Negro has been extremely accomodating for me in the past, and I've not once been "Glutened." They are right off the French Market, so definitely another place to check out if visiting.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Zackery Brian
    Newest Member
    Zackery Brian
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Zackery Brian
      I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with your health. Dealing with celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can indeed be overwhelming. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions based on your experience and the replies you've received: Confirming Diagnosis: It's great that your gastroenterologist confirmed your celiac disease diagnosis through additional tests. Understanding the specifics of your condition can help tailor your approach to managing it more effectively. Food Sensitivity Testing: While blood tests for food sensitivities can provide some insights, they may not always be completely accurate. As mentioned by others, false positives are common, and individual responses to specific foods can vary. Discussing your test results and symptoms with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about celiac disease and food sensitivities can help clarify your situation. Research and Education: Exploring conditions like Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and histamine intolerance could shed further light on your symptoms and provide additional avenues for managing your health. Gathering information from reliable sources and discussing your findings with your healthcare team can help you make informed decisions about your care. Dietary Management: Managing celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can be challenging, but finding a balance that works for you is crucial. Working with a dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and food intolerances can help you develop a personalized dietary plan that meets your nutritional needs while minimizing symptoms. Stress Management: Chronic pain and health issues can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. Finding healthy coping strategies to manage stress, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or engaging in activities you enjoy, may help improve your overall quality of life. Remember, you're not alone in your journey, and seeking support from healthcare professionals, support groups, or online communities can provide valuable encouragement and guidance.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?