This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baby Wipes?

smsm

smsm Contributor

I can't find a current thread on this - sorry if this question has been asked recently! Something is getting me and my daughter and I cannot figure it out. I have checked soap, cleaners, cosmetics, and my kitchen is 100% gluten-free. We go out to eat about once a month but it wasn't that this time - too much time has passed. It isn't getting us all the time - just once in a while. I am now down to baby wipes (I use them to wipe her hands and face at playdates and situations where there are crumbs, etc. floating around - airplanes/restaurants/movie theaters, etc.). I have Costco store brand and Target generic - anyone know about what baby wipes are safe? I am grasping at this point, but I want to be sure I check everything...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You can make your own wipes, even make washable ones.

Just use your at-home soap and soak some strong paper towels/napkins in a mild soap/water solution. Put the wipes in a plastic baggy (put all of it in there before adding liquid, easier that way). Take them with you. That will help you figure out if it is the wipes, at least. There are probably several recipes for homemade wipes online.

I just used water/reusable diaper wipes for diaper wipes with my son - at home. He had skin reactions to lots of things.

Costco wipes didn't bother him (but that was 7 years ago). I have no idea what's in them now.

IrishHeart Veteran

I can't find a current thread on this - sorry if this question has been asked recently! Something is getting me and my daughter and I cannot figure it out. I have checked soap, cleaners, cosmetics, and my kitchen is 100% gluten-free. We go out to eat about once a month but it wasn't that this time - too much time has passed. It isn't getting us all the time - just once in a while. I am now down to baby wipes (I use them to wipe her hands and face at playdates and situations where there are crumbs, etc. floating around - airplanes/restaurants/movie theaters, etc.). I have Costco store brand and Target generic - anyone know about what baby wipes are safe? I am grasping at this point, but I want to be sure I check everything...

What do you mean by "getting me and my daughter"? Are you breaking out in hives or something? Can you be more specific?

Do you mean to say you think there is gluten in a baby wipe? I sincerely doubt it. Even so, gluten is not absorbed through the skin. It is only a problem in things that you might swallow, like lipstick or mouthwash.

smsm Contributor

Yep - I mean digestion - because I am using the wipes to clean her face after eating when we are out and she is a little monster (I lover her to bits, but she is nuts, and she will bite and suck on the wipe while I do this). Our symptoms are varied but usually the same every time - she gets super constipated and sleeps very poorly. I get intense back/neck/joint pain and usually some kind of buzzing or tingling or numbness in my scalp or hands or face. I have a few other symptoms I can get - feeling like I am sinking into the ground when I am walking (not sure how else to describe it). Also, I get canker sores. I think I may have found the culprit - the baby wipe thing just didn't seem to be right (although I am definitely going to make my own - seems much more environmentally friendly and just a really good idea considering her pirhana tendencies with anything near her mouth - thanks!) - I realized this all started when I bought my husband a meat smoker for his birthday. I think it is the poultry seasoning he is using the brine the meat - the website for frontier spices says that they can't guarantee there are no allergens in the product. I am tossing this spice and am hoping this solves the mystery.

M0Mto3 Rookie

I read a while back that baby wipes are gluten free. I can't tell you where I got that information, but I know I looked into it and they were gluten free.

xjrosie Apprentice

Even though it may be gluten free, it's still possible to be allergic to baby wipes.

For my first daughter they had the wipes in those cute little containers shaped like legos. I decided to stick with those and maybe she would like to play with them when she was a little older. However, for months, she would have severe diaper rash. I didn't use them for anything else other than diaper changes. I would never let her sit in her filth because I was always trying to get the rash to go away.

One time I got a good coupon for either Pampers or Huggies baby wipes that I couldn't pass up. Within about two days of using the new wipes, her rash was gone. Once her pooper was back to normal, I tested the other wipes just once to see if that was the culprit. Sure enough, by her next diaper change she was getting pink and had some rashy bumps on her bottom. I changed back to the premium wipes and never changed again.

For face and hand-washing, I did the paper towel with soap on it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've never seen gluten in a wipe, but as has been mentioned, some babies are sensitive to some wipes (regardless of whether or not it's marked "sensitive" or "free"). Try different ones, or possibly make your own (or just use baby washcloths and a spray bottle of water), and see if it helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I think it is the poultry seasoning he is using the brine the meat - the website for frontier spices says that they can't guarantee there are no allergens in the product. I am tossing this spice and am hoping this solves the mystery.

Could be! We have to be such detectives, don't we!!?? Hope you figure out what's making you two have all those symptoms, hon.

Are you feeling any better?

smsm Contributor

Thanks for asking - we are both feeling much better! I cannot possibly imagine what else it could be - I sat down with a calendar and was able to tie it definitely to the meat smoker. He was using poultry seasoning, sugar, salt and water to brine. It seems so odd that a possible cc issue in the manufacturing of a spice would cause such a reaction, but I have no other ideas as to what else could have caused it and we both followed the same path of glutening/healing/reglutening/healing (I guess the advantage of having passed this on to both my kids is that I can monitor them as well to figure out what happened)!

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for asking - we are both feeling much better! I cannot possibly imagine what else it could be - I sat down with a calendar and was able to tie it definitely to the meat smoker. He was using poultry seasoning, sugar, salt and water to brine. It seems so odd that a possible cc issue in the manufacturing of a spice would cause such a reaction, but I have no other ideas as to what else could have caused it and we both followed the same path of glutening/healing/reglutening/healing (I guess the advantage of having passed this on to both my kids is that I can monitor them as well to figure out what happened)!

Glad you are feeling better. If you can pin the source down, it helps.

I had a similar situation occur--Christmas day. The butcher makes this breakfast sausage I wanted to serve. Love all his meats, so I thought, okay, let's try it. I bring it home, then think before I serve it. I am pretty sensitive to trace gluten and I get slammed from CC, so, I better call and ask.

He says, "We know who raises the pigs and we do make the sausage yes, but they mix it off site. I better ask what's in the spices". He offers to call and ask about the spices for me--can I hold? Great. I'll hold.

(I can picture it now--the guy on the other end says WTH is gluten? the butcher says wheat; the guy says "we don't put any wheat in the spices, no." :rolleyes: )

Guy comes back and says, Nope, no gluten. Thanks.

Was I sick for 2 weeks after trying the sausage? You betcha. :rolleyes:

sigh....Life with celiac. Live. learn. ....Next... :D

Archived