MitziG

Vitamins, Mixed Tocopherols? Help?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know what specifically I need to be looking at in my vitamins to determine if they are gluten free? I purchased Ageless Essentials from Lame Advertisement after talking to someone at the company who is supposedly in charge of formulation. She assured me that they were gluten free, but she kept saying "they are not a food product." I am not sure she knows what she is talking about. Anyway, I don't see anything obvious on the package, but the one thing that worries me is the Vitamin E from "mixed tocopherols" Is that likely from wheat?

I started questioning it because I have been taking them for just a few days and just haven't felt very good. My interstitial cystitis has flared up and I have been kind of queasy and more tired than usual. Also doing dumb stuff at work- brain is not in top form. So I am suspecting I am being glutened somehow.

Any input on this? Any other ingredients that I should be on the lookout for in vitamins?

Does anyone know what specifically I need to be looking at in my vitamins to determine if they are gluten free? I purchased Ageless Essentials from Lame Advertisement after talking to someone at the company who is supposedly in charge of formulation. She assured me that they were gluten free, but she kept saying "they are not a food product." I am not sure she knows what she is talking about. Anyway, I don't see anything obvious on the package, but the one thing that worries me is the Vitamin E from "mixed tocopherols" Is that likely from wheat?

I started questioning it because I have been taking them for just a few days and just haven't felt very good. My interstitial cystitis has flared up and I have been kind of queasy and more tired than usual. Also doing dumb stuff at work- brain is not in top form. So I am suspecting I am being glutened somehow.

Any input on this? Any other ingredients that I should be on the lookout for in vitamins?

I just looked this up for another member yesterday. Tocopherol is something that could be derived from wheat germ. But, if wheat germ was the source, it would have to be listed on the package as the source of the tocopherol.

Anyway, it's a questionable ingredient, but not a definite yes or no.

Mixed tocopherols more likely inclues a soy ingredient.

I don't have anything to add, but I did get a good laugh at the name of the company. Sounds like a description of what TV is now full of! :lol:

Tocopherols can come from wheat or brown rice, but is usually soy. I can't take supplements with it because I react to the soy. :(

The Canadian Celiac Association list tocopherols as a safe ingredient, without raising concern about what the source is. This is a highly refined ingredient that will not have detectable protein (gluten) in the ingredient, much less in the finished product.

Thank you for the replies. The "lame advertisement" company also lists it as gluten free on their website, so I guess I need to start looking at something else as the culprit.