This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Suggestions For Dietary Fiber Supplement

cahill

cahill Collaborator

If anyone could offer suggestions for dietary fiber supplement I would be MOST grateful . I am soy and gluten free.

I am STILL having constipation issues .I truly believe it is because my fiber intake is so low.

I am still having trouble with most vegetables. I have successfully reintroduced carrots ,celery and onions,(as long as they are well cooked) and am trying to consume a bowl of these daily in homemade vegetable soup .

I do not want to start depending on a weekly dose of miralax :ph34r:

I take magnesium daily .

Any soy and gluten free suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

If anyone could offer suggestions for dietary fiber supplement I would be MOST grateful . I am soy and gluten free.

I am STILL having constipation issues .I truly believe it is because my fiber intake is so low.

I am still having trouble with most vegetables. I have successfully reintroduced carrots ,celery and onions,(as long as they are well cooked) and am trying to consume a bowl of these daily in homemade vegetable soup .

I do not want to start depending on a weekly dose of miralax :ph34r:

I take magnesium daily .

Any soy and gluten free suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated :)

I had chronic constipation for most of my life (except when I had C-Diff), even after I abstained from gluten, dairy, soy, and egg. I added rice bran to my cooked cereal (oatmeal, Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty). I used only gluten-free breads which were 3 or more grams of fiber per serving. I ate tons of fruits and vegies daily (esp. ones which were high fiber). I drank lots of waters and noncaffeinated liquids. I took magnesium (aspartate with potassium) daily (900 mg daily at one time). That made me 'regular' in that I had a daily bm. However those were still hard (but fibrous as stool tests showed). I did everything short of taking daily laxatives, unless you consider supplemental magnesium a laxative. Finally a knowledgeable doctor tested my thyroid hormone levels (free T4, free T3, TPOab and TSH) and diagnosed Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. After 18 months on thyroid supplements (T3 and T4), I finally have normal stools every day, no matter how much fiber or liquds I consume.

Try all those suggestions for more fiber, liquids, exercise and magnesium. However, if you're still constipated, get a complete thyroid hormone panel test (which I mentioned). Constipation is often a symptom of hypothyroidism.

cahill Collaborator

I had chronic constipation for most of my life (except when I had C-Diff), even after I abstained from gluten, dairy, soy, and egg. I added rice bran to my cooked cereal (oatmeal, Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty). I used only gluten-free breads which were 3 or more grams of fiber per serving. I ate tons of fruits and vegies daily (esp. ones which were high fiber). I drank lots of waters and noncaffeinated liquids. I took magnesium (aspartate with potassium) daily (900 mg daily at one time). That made me 'regular' in that I had a daily bm. However those were still hard (but fibrous as stool tests showed). I did everything short of taking daily laxatives, unless you consider supplemental magnesium a laxative. Finally a knowledgeable doctor tested my thyroid hormone levels (free T4, free T3, TPOab and TSH) and diagnosed Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. After 18 months on thyroid supplements (T3 and T4), I finally have normal stools every day, no matter how much fiber or liquds I consume.

Try all those suggestions for more fiber, liquids, exercise and magnesium. However, if you're still constipated, get a complete thyroid hormone panel test (which I mentioned). Constipation is often a symptom of hypothyroidism.

I do not tolerate veggies or fruit well, nor do I tolerate oats.

I limit the amount of gluten free bread I eat (I have egg issues)

I could up my magnesium a bit.

I am hypo and am diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My last blood panel was " with in normal range" . My endo will not up my dosage on how I feel/symptoms , she goes by blood test :rolleyes: But to be honest right now other than the constipation my Hashimoto's symptoms are pretty much under control .

I am exercising more and trying to drink more water.

THe rice bran is something I could look into though .

Thank you :)

cahill Collaborator

whoops :)

burdee Enthusiast

I do not tolerate veggies or fruit well, nor do I tolerate oats.

I limit the amount of gluten free bread I eat (I have egg issues)

I could up my magnesium a bit.

I am hypo and am diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My last blood panel was " with in normal range" . My endo will not up my dosage on how I feel/symptoms , she goes by blood test :rolleyes: But to be honest right now other than the constipation my Hashimoto's symptoms are pretty much under control .

I am exercising more and trying to drink more water.

THe rice bran is something I could look into though .

Thank you :)

Which blood tests did your endo take? What thyroid supplement are you taking? If you have constipation, you still have hypothyroid symptoms. You may need a different thyroid supplement. I had to add T3 to my T4 supplement, before my constipation was resolved. Most people don't do well on T4 only therapy.

cahill Collaborator

Which blood tests did your endo take? What thyroid supplement are you taking? If you have constipation, you still have hypothyroid symptoms. You may need a different thyroid supplement. I had to add T3 to my T4 supplement, before my constipation was resolved. Most people don't do well on T4 only therapy.

The last time I was in she did :

an ANA

vitamin D

TG AB

TPO AB

TSH

Free T3

T3

T4

in addition to my kidney and liver panels.

I am due to retest in March and I will talk to her about the constipation then.

I have taken synthyoid ( name brand)for about 20 years and unless my dosage needs changed I have had no problems with it .

I agree that most people do not do well on just T4 supplements and this is an issue I have address with her.

I would agree that the constipation could be a symptom of my hypo but it does not resolve when I am hyper.Maybe I am not hyper long enough to see a difference in my stool.

In addition to all that,I know that my fiber intake is extremely low and needs improvement which is why I am looking for a dietary fiber supplement.

kitgordon Explorer

Citrucel works for me and is gluten free. It is hard to get enough fiber on the gluten-free diet, especially if you have additional sensitivies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Can you tolerate a few stewed prunes? They're the classic remedy for constipation.

ciamarie Rookie

Though I'm still new'ish to this myself, I find probiotics tend to be more helpful for me than trying to increase my fiber. I just got some Udo's choice adult probiotics yesterday. However, for fiber you could try Psyllium husks powder -- which is the same thing that metamucil uses, but without the flavorings. I have a 12 oz container of it here and the ingredients say 100% psyllium husks powder. Zero carbs.

cahill Collaborator

Citrucel works for me and is gluten free. It is hard to get enough fiber on the gluten-free diet, especially if you have additional sensitivies.

I will have to check this out.

Thank you

Do dietary fiber supplement have to list wheat and soy on their ingredients list??

cahill Collaborator

Can you tolerate a few stewed prunes? They're the classic remedy for constipation.

I have used stewed prunes and I am one of those people that actually like stewed prunes :lol:

sreese68 Enthusiast

I use this, too. No soy in it. Be sure to start with one or two and work your way up.

Other things with decent amount of fiber: potatoes with skin, teff, quinoa, bananas, peanut butter, and some chocolate bars. Fearless Chocolate dark midnight bar has 7 grams of fiber in half a bar. :) (It does say "may contain traces of soy from shared equipment." Not sure how sensitive you are to soy.)

GFinDC Veteran

Psyllium husks or flax seeds can both be added to your foods. Be sure to drink some water with them though as they absorb a lot of it.

I take Natural Sources Raw thyroid. It is freeze dried. My doctor said I was in normal range for thyroid also but I don't feel well without a supplement.

Also don't take too much peppermint. It makes good tea but it relaxes the digestion and that can slow things down.

IrishHeart Veteran

I hate to sound like a broken record on here :lol: but more WATER in the diet is essential for bowels to move ---as are probiotics.

Having suffered either chronic C or D most of my life, I did a LOT of research on the causes of these extreme conditions.

Hypothyroidism is a factor, for sure. But there are ways to get you running more smoothly, IMHO.

You could add more and more fiber by using supplements, but without enough water, that stuff will bulk up and create more problems, especially if you use psyllium.

Drink 16 oz. of water and take a probiotic every morning before you do anything else. Just a thought.

Can you tolerate natural high fiber foods, like prunes, apples and pears and brown rice?

My poor Mom suffered C for most of her life. Hate to be graphic, but she could barely squeeze out marbles. :rolleyes: I suggested she take probiotics and increase her water intake to half her body weight per day and drink some cranberry juice and she was very happy to report a much better "product" after a few weeks... ;)

Hope you find something that works for you. I know how long you have struggled to get well.

Skylark Collaborator

I have used stewed prunes and I am one of those people that actually like stewed prunes :lol:

I like them too. :lol: Sorry it's not enough of a remedy!

the.gf.bf. Newbie

I have had great success in adding chia seeds to my diet. High in fibre, and you can eat them a ton of different ways. I liked to eat them with a little almond milk and dried fruit, but you can add them to smoothies or other cereals really easily too.

IrishHeart Veteran

I admit it, I like the prunes, too... ;)

jeanzdyn Apprentice

Fiber Mate, gluten-free and no psyllium which can irritate some people's digestive system.

Fiber Mate is made by a company called Aloe Life and it is available in tablet or powder.

I have been using this product for many years, long before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.

• 1 month later...
cruzmom Newbie

Jeanzdyn, just purchased this because I have to take iron 3 times a day. The bottle says take three pilss three times a day. How much do you take? I dont want to take too much fiber mate.

Archived