jasonD2

gluten-free In Germany

Rate this topic

Hello- i may have to go to Germany for 2-3 weeks for work. will I be able to survive out there? any suggestions would be great- thanks

Hello- i may have to go to Germany for 2-3 weeks for work. will I be able to survive out there? any suggestions would be great- thanks

You will most definitely survive. I have not been to Germany since my celiac diagnosis but others have without issues. I have, however, been to Europe many times and look for the Schar brand which is gluten free. Their bread is horrid but other products alright. I would also take along some snacks from home in case of flight delays and so on - this happened to me recently and I was very glad to have food at the Frankfurt airport.

Where will you be going? Will you have access to a market? European markets are great. Is it possible for you to get accommodation with a refrigerator? I would definitely request that.

I have personally found most European countries to be easier in general than where I live in Canada. Just plan ahead and go with anticipation. On my recent European trips celiac was the least of my worries! :D

You can buy gluten-free foods to prepare in your kitchen (if you have one) and cookies/crackers to snack on at most Reformhaus stores. Reformhaus carries "health foods" and "natural products". You can look up the locations of Reformhauses to see if you'll be near any at this website:

http://www.reformhaus.de/filialfinder.html